Let the chaos begin

2 year old MG-TF, 13k miles, £6k

Even I have to be tempted for that kind of money - I reckon that it'll still be worth that in 2 or 3 years time.

Reply to
SteveH

Bargain !

Reply to
Rushing7

As long it's a 1.8 135, buy it, you can't lose, half price TF. Once the craziness has died down people will realise that it doesn't matter that the factory is no longer there, and you can still get he parts for them. Think of the alternatives if you want that type of car, there's the common as muck MX5 or god forbid a Z3.

Reply to
Homer

trash! my MR2 at £5k is a better car!

i'd rather have a more common MX5 with some nice little mods than a lardy shitty looking MGTF!

steveH has been smoking some heavy shit i think :)

Reply to
Vamp

Your MR2 at £5k would be a ripoff, you could import a similar one for about

4k OTR.

Your MR2 is in no position to accuse other cars of being lardy ;-) My old Golf 16V with a few minor mods had a better power to weight ratio than a standard MR2 turdo has.

Reply to
Homer

I admit to spending a little time looking at a ZT 260.

Reply to
Depresion

160 is better - lovely car, will do indicated 140 no problem.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Your MR2 is quite old, is it not?

We're talking a low mileage, 2 year old MG for quite a bit less than half it's original list price.

Whereas your MR2 will depreciate, that MG won't.

Reply to
SteveH

i had a run in with a 160 MGF in my old MK1 MR2 up a lip road, he couldn't pass and it was even all the way up to 120mph, shit for a 1.8 sports car if you ask me! 1.8 MX5 would be quicker!

Reply to
Vamp

probably could now, not when i got mine in october and not in the condition i got mine in!

maybe so on lardy but the turbo helps that!

couldn't care that the MGTF is only 2 years old i'd still rather have 100 other cars before evem considering any MG!

Reply to
Vamp

At least he could safely stop in a hurry, if needs be.

I've had a Mk1 MR2 btw... the brakes were the worst thing about it (after the rot, that is), especially if you needed to brake hard of an uneven road surface.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

And the MG brand was ringfenced along with a load of the other former rover group assets, so there is nothing to stop Pheonix selling it later to a small niche market manufacturer later as a premium brand like it originally started out.

So it will maybe even be worth more in 10 years than it is now.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

All cars depreciate Steve. Especially once their parent company goes belly up.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The point is that the MG-F and MG-TF have always held their value relatively well - it's totally unheard of to pick up a 2 year old TF for £6k.

Anyone who has a bit of spare cash to spend on a summer toy could do a hell of a lot worse than buy one now and hold onto it for a few years - at worst it'll hold it's value over that timescale, with a bit of luck it'll turn in a modest profit.

We're not talking about some dull as ditchwater family hatch here, but the last rag-top sportscar produced by Britains last affordable sportscar brand.

Reply to
SteveH

yeah but that makes it fun, although i did have to plan my breaking before i set off anywhere :)

over heat real bad i found too! could be a bit scary. MKII brakes are a lot better thankfully! a turbo with MK1 brakes would scare the pants off me!

Reply to
Vamp

i guess it would be alright to keep for the sunny months then ditch, they rank higher on the 'gay mans car' scale than an MR2 or MX5 for my liking. same league as wearing a pink shirt to the office which i wouldn't do!

Reply to
Vamp

No it wouldn't.

Reply to
DanTXD

Not comfortable with your sexuality eh :) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

That is not entierly correct: all cars depreciate to a certain level, then they either disappear or prices go up, the fact their parent company goes belly up doesn't matter much.

Try to get your hands on a decent Delorean or Aston Martin DB5.

Pristine cars or seldom driven garage queens also drop in price: gone are the days when a Ferrari TR would fetch a handsome profit leaving it in your garage for some years but that doesn't mean a nearly new 1989 TR will be yours for peanuts. Well, for peanuts maybe if you deliver by truckload.

I think you could be buying worser and faster depreciating cars than the MGf right now. The car will stay modern because engine-upgrades are available and relatively cheap.

6 years from now a driven to the ground MGf with >200.000 km on the clock will be worth nothing, but a MGf, properly maintained with 80.000 km will still be a nice car. I would recommend it for somebody who wants a funcar but hasn't got the money for an Elise or doesn't want its no-compromise nature.

Speaking of the Elise: a violet 1999 Elise with A-style rollbar with a tube going from the topmiddel to the far corner of the passenger well (forget it to take your girlfriend out in it), special seats, bigger brakes has been proposed to me. The engine has some race-upgrades but only 12.000 genuine km.

The owner wants more than his buying price (back in 1999) for it. Don't like the violet paint, if it were black I would seriously consider. Shows you that some cars don't depreciate at all.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

He wasn't trying.