Life update.

Quiet here, isn't it.

I recently got a new job. I decided there wasn't a career for someone who's nearly 30 in smashing bags.

I now work with ships instead of aeroplanes at the local Harbour, which is quite a busy port as these things go.

I am a Ship's Agent. I have to visit each of my allocated ships twice a day. I could be asked to do just about anything on behalf of a ship, but the bread and butter is to make conversation, deliver and forward mail/freight and arrange services like inspections, customs clearances and utilities like fresh water and waste collection.

It's quite good fun.

The work is similar in theme but totally different in scale. For instance, when an aircraft gets bent, someone appears with a sheet of Duralumin and a rivet gun. When a ship gets bent, about 20 dirty boilersuited bacon butty munching men appear, each with a diesel welder in tow and a couple of angle grinders under each arm.

Similarly, when one of the aircraft I was dealing with takes fuel, it might take a couple of tonnes. One of our ship's tanks might take

600tonnes at a fillup. Lubrication oil is loaded in bulk, through pipes in the quayside, thousands of litres at a time.

Still got the MX-5. Insides of the rear sills of it are starting to rot, in a 'they all do that sir' way. I still love it though. I had the rear brakes in bits today. It was making a funny noise. It isn't any more after I took a wire brush to the discs as I couldn't find anything amiss.

Also still have the 106. It's still fun and hasn't broken. Hammerited the wheels silver a few weeks ago.

How is everyone else?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Cheers for the update Doug.

It's always nice to hear when a job move actually works for someone.

I'm still smoking about in the very uncool Synergie. I've found a source in hamilton which does B100 biodiesel for 90p / litre. It's next to a bakery, so now I associate his diesel with cakes - which can't be bad.

Regarding Ye Olde Sylva.

I eventualy decided to stop mucking about and bit the bullet. Right now, the chassis is lying in the shed upside down with nothing whatsoever bolted to it. All the floor panels and sides are also off as is all the bodywork. Now that's it's right down to a bare chassis, I can make a no excuses rebuild and not have to apologise for anything. What I have learned though is that the bodywork is massively heavy, which will explain the weight of the car. The front and rear sections each need two people to lift them. (Well, two weak people. They're about 40kg each and seeing as I'm a shandy drinking office working gay boy, I can't lift heavy stuff any more. Not like when I was a rifty tufty building trade operative. Anyway, I digress.) Back to the point. The bodywork is about 4 times heavier than the Rotor.

Speaking of which, Graham had the Rotor (

for the uninitiated) at Snetterton last week.First time racing for a new chassis, little was expected. Qualified 11th out of 17 which to me is fantastic. Especially when you consider it's a hand built self designed car up against pukka Lolas, Marches, Van Diemens, Shrikes etc. All driven by guys who've been doing this championship for 10 years or more in some cases with pro run teams. Two men in a van with some spanners are sort of up against it.Result unfortunately was a DNF as an oil hose came loose and gave the engine bay a liberal coating of oil slick and some more onto the back tyres for good measure. This resulted in a spin and dropping oil pressure. He killed the engine straight away and the engine is officially saved with no damage.Next up is Brands at the full and very seldom used Grand Prix circuit. That's about it.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Sounds like an interesting job. Wish my job was interesting!

I'm great. TVR is going well - got a PAS pump on the desk in front of me that I need to fit as the current one sounds like a supercharger, but no major dramas. Diff makes a bit of a racket, but with the roof off I can't hear it so that's ok. Might get it rebuilt over the winter, assuming it lasts the summer (including a week long road trip!)

SD1 is almost back together, been repairing the a pillars and windscreen surround today ready for a new screen to go in next week.. It's taken ages, but it's been a labour of love. Can't wait to get it on the road!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Needs properly undersealing/cavity waxing.

Capri-less. Self employed and getting a sad obsession with amateur radio.

Reply to
Conor

I'm working in 'accident management', basically looking after cabbies who've had a bump and need a replacement car. It's ok :)

I need to get my SD1 diff sorted. It whines horrifically at 40ish mph, can't hear it at 70.

I'm going to order loads of bits for mine from Rimmers this week, and put it in for a full repaint after Cholmondely POP next weekend.

Reply to
Pete M

The solution is clear then. Drive everywhere at 70MPH.

Reply to
Conor

My Sprinter did that, though not horrifically - thankfully it was still under warranty and got a brand spanking new replacement from Merc (at around

160k miles).
Reply to
AstraVanMann

There's a rumour that stripped, rust-free shells can be had at the moment for about £250.

I quite fancy taking one to bits and putting it back together.

Doubt I ever will, but I gotta do something about the rust soon.

One of my colleagues was a ship's radio operator and then worked for BT during fledgling offshore oil comms and the handover of emergency channel 16 response to the coastguard. He's not into Amatuer stuff, but he is quite an interesting fellow.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I wish I could afford an SD1 and a TVR. (c:

Hopefully it'll make it all the more fun knowing you did it yourself.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You'll be the man to speak to if I need a zillion mile old Octavia or Euro7?

What's Cholmondely POP?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I am indeed that man. At the moment we've got a few '07 plate Octavia Classic TDis for sale. Between 50-75k on the clock, full Skoda service history, maintained properly but driven by cabbies for thousands of miles at a time between inspections and services... no major faults on any of 'em, but some feel more tired than others.

You have my number, I think.

Cholmondely Pageant of Power. Big stately home car freak day, like a Northern version (in your case, slightly less southernly) of Goodwood, but without the racing :( ). I'll be on the "Autoshite.com" stand with the SD1.

Reply to
Pete M

Heheh, I do, but don't IYSWIM. To be fair, you would probably always be my first port of call for something like that. (c:

Sounds like a giggle, Enjoy!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

-SNIP interesting shipping stuff-

Been living in St. Kilda, Melbourne for a couple of months now and really liking it. SWMBO found work quickly, which is fortuitous as you only get about $1.60 to your pound nowadays and our savings were getting walloped!

Job hunting's been slower for me but living an 8 minute walk from the beach makes being unemployed a bit more bearable! I do have an interview for a very interesting job coming up, more details later and fingers crossed! Winter's approaching but today is a pleasantly sunny

20 degrees and I'm sitting out in the garden typing this while you're all tucked up in bed.
Reply to
fishman

Bloody hell - ISTR my brother mentioning the Aussie dollar being stronger. Must transfer the relatively small amount of money I've got out there over here......

Good luck with it all. So is living out there a permanent thing, or just another "travelling for a year or so" thing?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Still bring the virtual IT manager / tech dogsbody for a number of businesses, got the rollout contract for a big Aussie company for their UK businesses which will keep me very busy for the next 3 mths.

Still running the Merc. 150k miles came up last week, still drives well. Been expensive this year as potholes / trees meant two new wheels, two springs, a steering rod and a trip to the bodyshop but used the opportunity to get the front resprayed and get rid of the door dings.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I remember you mentioned potholes, but trees?

Reply to
Clive George

Thanks. Permanent, fingers crossed!

Reply to
fishman

Large branch, across road, couldn't avoid. Part of it flew up and smashed the drivers door in.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

St Kilda used to be the most shithole red light district in Melbourne and is now yuppie central. I assume you are a regular at the Espy.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Same old same old here. Still in IT and consulting. Driving the Liberty B4 but thinking about a change. More into bikes than cars now and currently playing with a CBR1000RR street fighter I built, a 650 V-Strom and a 50cc scooter that I painted flat black during a moment of temporary insanity. Gilrfriends MX-5 is bloody brilliant and we still have her hateful Kia Carnivale.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston