Lorry Drivers Please Service Your Vehicles!

Conor explained on 13/08/2010 :

I have never had a dual fail, to find out, but would imagine the result would be 'interesting'. I have had a couple of single circuit cars fail back in the bad old days, which makes it more than a little 'interesting'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I walk to work now. It takes me 9 minutes at my usual amble, or 7 at a brisk walk. This means I can take the low wages at Sainsbury's as I'm saving a shitload of fuel money.

And I'm never late because of a flat battery, traffic jams etc.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I figured out ages ago I can walk into town just as quick as I can drive after finding parking. Usually its a lot quicker. Being a small market town, there's not a lot of parking spaces.

Reply to
Conor

Which law? Does this include Fire engines tractors, private horse boxes etc. as well as artics used for hire or reward?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

It is a condition of the Operator's Licence that a maintenance contract is in place with a fitter who holds relevant qualifications to carry out the work.

Reply to
Knight of the Road

But not an actual law of the land that requires maintenance and inspection at prescribed intervals?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Since there are "actual law(s) of the land" which require an O licence to be in place and to be complied with at all times, making maintenance a condition of the O licence certainly does carry the weight of the law for vehicles/uses which require 'em.

Reply to
Adrian

VOSA and DfT say you can do your own maintenance.

... for the commercial carriage of goods.

But allows longer periods, 'if you are confident...'

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I was just interested if there was an actual requirement in law, based on the claimed 6 weeks/10,000km suggested here. Google failed to find any reference to such a requirement, which is why I asked. It appears that there's not.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Nick Finnigan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"A person undertaking safety inspections must be technically competent and operationally aware of the safety standards that apply to the vehicles they examine.

They should have been trained in the techniques of vehicle examination, diagnosis and reporting, and possess a sound working knowledge of the relevant inspection manuals produced by VOSA."

"If you decide to provide your own safety inspection facilities, you must ensure that they are adequate for the job."

"When considering an application for an ?O? licence, the Traffic Commissioners must consider whether there will be satisfactory facilities or arrangements for keeping authorised vehicles in a fit and serviceable condition. They will seek assurances that the applicant will conduct regular safety checks and inspections of the vehicles at specified intervals and keep records of those checks and inspections and their results. These details are ?undertakings? (formerly known as ?statements of intent?) made for the purposes of obtaining a licence. If maintenance is to be contracted out, a copy of the contract will be required to support the application. Any changes made later must be notified to the VOSA Traffic Area Office without delay."

Reply to
Adrian

Shock horror another broken down lorry this morning between junction

28 and junction 27 of the M25 anti-clockwise.
Reply to
T_Raymond

We are talking about driving on UK roads, so the 'uk.rec.driving' group seems the ideal place. I won't comment on the cross-posting tho!

Reply to
GT

The requirement of the Operators licence. It is so strict, you even have to name the garage doing it.

Reply to
Conor

It is a requirement of the O licence. You have to maintain full maintenance records down to a bulb. You have to have the vehicle serviced at a named garage and the records available for inspection.

The maintenance records follow the lorry so if its sold on, the records go with it. You end up with a service history a classic car enthusiast would be envious of.

Reply to
Conor

For any vehicle requiring an operators licence.

No. Its if the Traffic Commissioner consents.

Reply to
Conor

And? They can break down you know.

Way to go for making yourself look stupid.

Reply to
Conor

...Oh and there was another lorry going down an extremely narrow country road on friday forcing 3 cars off the road on to the grass to let it pass. Obviously he was going on a "Tom Tom adventure" because it was the shortest route or he was avoiding a problem on the main road. I'm guessing a rookie mistake, it seems they let anyone behind the wheel of a lorry these days.

T Raymond

Reply to
T_Raymond

What did you expect the lorry to do, manage to reverse half a mile to the car sized passing place? Talking of which, if the passing place was on their side, the cars HAD to give way.

Or alternatively seeing as its harvest time it could have actually been going to a field.

There's loads of them around here at the moment going up all kinds of narrow tracks BECAUSE IT IS HARVEST TIME.

And FYI, near Minsterley, there's a single track country lane designated a HGV route. And in addition to that, there are countless stories of the Police diverting trucks down such roads when there's been a closure.

Reply to
Conor

Passing places aren't usually grass - they are usually tarmac'd areas with 'passing place' signs - not mentioned!

Do many lorries harvest crops in their spare time?

You said that already.

Sounds like bad planning, unless you have failed to mention a one-way system. otherwise it will be interesting when two trucks meet in the middle then as they are both diverted, but in opposite directions.

Reply to
GT

If that's true, how about the huge operators who have their own fitters?

Reply to
vulgarandmischevious