LPG

I'm thinkiing of buying a new KIA Picanto and wondering if anyone with experience of LPG fuel can advise me whether it is worth converting? ie the ins and outs, pluses and minuses etc..

Thanks in anticipation,

Compo

Reply to
compo

Glass's guide values them at £500 LESS than a standard model. The fuel duty could be raised whenever Brown feels like it, and the filling stations are few and far between. And a Kia Picanto is a small car anyway, so it won't use much fuel. It will, however, drop like a stone in value because it' a Kia. If you want to save money, buy a small diesel from a maker with decent residual values. Like a VW Polo or an Audi A2, or a Fiesta TDCi.

Reply to
Doki

Hello,

LPG didn't really take off as they forgot to tell people it cost quite a bit to convert, then that the economy was poor. All of my local garages had the pumps for about a year and removed them due to lack of use. As a comparison, say £1000 to convert, then finding that although gas was cheaper it cost just the same as petrol would to travel the same distance. LPG also give poor performance. I really wouldn't bother, buy a diesel instead if you need economy. Notice how the price has increased now that the Government and companies know people prefer it to petrol ! I remember when it was a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Brian

What on earth are you on about? MPG and go is a bit less with gas than on petrol, but it's nothing like so poor as to make the fuel costs nearly equivalent...

Reply to
Doki

For gods sake don't. It's a dismal car. Are you really that desperate to not show your knickers when getting out of a car?

The Picanto has a dreadful safety reputation, it's not *that* cheap and it depreciates like a stone dropped down a very deep well.

If you want a decent "smole" car consider a VW Lupo or Polo or a Seat, or a Skoda. All of them better than that rice boy rubbish.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bullshit.

More bullshit, LPG has a lower calorific value than petrol, it gives about 10% lower fuel economy than petrol because a litre of LPG actually has less energy in it than a litre of petrol. That said, LPG 38p/litre, petrol 84p/litre.

More bullshit. It gives slightly slower acceleration, where slight is such that few drivers would notice. And on a dual fuel car if you want the "oomph" of petrol you just push the button on the dash and switch to petrol. With an SGI system the performance disadvantage doesn't exist. SGI injects gas directly into the manifold and just as with an MPI petrol system adjusts the charge for the engine load.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh yeh, forgot, see that group uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg what do you think that is for?

Reply to
Steve Firth

It can be made to perform and consume much better than petrol too, if=20 you run LPG only and build/tune the engine to suit it.

You only lose performance/consumption on a dual fuel engine because it=20 is a compromise.

--=20 Carl Robson "Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf" (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Sleeker GT Phwoar