lpg conversions?

someone told me that lpg converted cars get slightly cheaper road tax, is this true? and if so how much cheaper is it?

Reply to
Vamp

Depends on the age of the car.

My Golf is a 2000 W 1.6 and I still pay a squillion pounds a year because my tax is not CO2 based. There have been representations made to the DVLA about this, but they will not budge.

Had my car been a 2001, I would pay about 2 bob a year.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

My Van being a Van does not Qualify for cheapo tax :-(

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Go to the DVLA site and read about road tax. LPG conversions are not worth it. Why pay for the initial conversion and then half the price to go half the distance compared to petrol, but far more than the cost of a diesel car that provides better economy. You can run most newer vauxhall diesels on Kerosene which is really cheap. A lot of the ones on the Vauxhall scheme tend to be used this way by workers who buy them! 35p/litre compared to

107p/litre. LPG is a waste of time and effort unless you have a big car you can't really afford to run if it was used with petrol. In which case you probably couldn't afford to maintain it properly. Most of the garages that had LPG available removed the pumps years ago as there was no demand. Diesel cars are the way to go.
Reply to
Ian

My tenner takes me 120 miles in my LPG Golf My workmates tenner takes him 90 miles in his diesel Golf.

The inital conversion was done last August and it still hasn't blown up. And at the rate I cover miles, It is well since paid for.

Not saying it's perfect for everyone, but it works for me.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

i was looking at it for more a banger sort of view, by a big barge for a couple of grand pre converted, run it till it breaks then get another. as long as it lasts at least a couple of years it's not all that bad.

Reply to
Vamp

Oh, it's him.

Ignore him, Vamp. He's a f****it with an anti-LPG obsession.

In some ways, I agree. A diesel is a better option most of the time.

However, if you have a local LPG station and buy pre-converted, you get around 90% of the MPG and performance for 50% of the cost.

Reply to
SteveH

that's the only reason i looked to be honest, i could buy a jeep or ls400 pre converted or maybe get myself a yank and i pass 3 lpg garages on the way to and from work so filling up should be ok. plus if i get something for a couple of grand and it lasts a year or 2 i'd be a lot better than buying £10k of diesel astra which is what i was thinking of doing.

Reply to
Vamp

Hmmmm, I hear they're not actually too bad.

However, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one.

Surely you could get a very decent last shape 3-series diesel or a W203 C-Class for that kind of outlay?

I'd get a vRS spec. Octavia TDI, though ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

well i was thinking cheap diesel + bio diesel as a nice lil money saver. i really wanted a newish car but it's not really worth it cos you lose shit loads in depreciation. i mean take my BM, i paid about 6k ish for that like

2 and a bit years ago, be lucky to get 3k for it now! but if i bought it now for like 2-3k and sold it in 2 years i'd probably get at least 1.5-2k for it! plus i would have just sold it on if i knew about the engine prob too.

just fancy something different, would like a yank so that's why i been thinking lpg and a jeep would be nice as i like the old cherokee's as they drive nice for a 4x4 compared to the shoguns and stuff.

Reply to
Vamp

In my time I have driven precisely one Cherokee - my brother's 4.0 on LPG a couple of years ago. I have aslo driven one Shogun - a mates with a BFO builders trailer behind it that I had borrowed and that had the 2.8 turbodiesel engine.

Much as the petrolhead in me wants to say the Jeep is better - it's American, it's a Jeep, it has a 4.0 engine and fake wood trim, so it must be good - I just can't agree. I really would like to have the Shogun as second best, but it just isn't. It does absolutely everything so much better than the Jeep and is more likely to keep doing it as well. Drive a Cherokee on a damp road and you'll see what I'm saying. Then again, all 4x4s are hardly in the Elise bashing category in that respect.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Christ even *I* pass a LPG station often, and I live in the middle of no where heh.

Reply to
Iridium

I don't.

I have to go to one of the bigger towns to get LPG around here.

There's someone in the village who sells it, but he's a commercial gas supplier and is only open office hours.

Reply to
SteveH

Shell garage has it here, 24hour, and place 1m away has it, but shuts at

10pm.
Reply to
Iridium

You have 24hr petrol stations?

Pah! Kids these days... don't you you're born.

I remember when it were all fields.....

Reply to
SteveH

I wouldn't have a Cherokee or a Shogun. I think they're both bloody awful in most respects. The 4.0 in the Cherokee is a decent enough lump in an asthmatic slugger kind of way but everything else about them is tragic, and they both seem to be exclusively driven by housewives, builders merchants from Bolton or Pikeys.

Reply to
Pete M

You really are a tedious, ill-informed wanker aren't you.

I've owned two Range Rovers that both ran perfectly on LPG, yes you lose approximately 5-10% power if you set the LPG system up for economy, but you save around 50% in running costs.

LPG is becoming *more widespread* than ever before, pump wise, so you're talking out of your arse on that as well. I used to have to travel 3 or

4 miles to get LPG, now there are 3 petrol stations that sell it within 2 miles - and neither stocked LPG 3 years ago. IIRC *All* Morrisons supermarkets sell LPG, most large Shell garages do, and there seem to be more BP stations selling it than ever before as well.

As for "Half the price for half the miles", that is also utter bullshit.

I went to Devon in my old 3.9 Range Rover in convoy with a friend of mine who was driving her 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa. In the Range Rover it cost £40 to do the return trip, in the Corsa it cost £40 to do the return trip, so if you can explain to me how the Rangie was getting half the miles for half the cost I'd be very interested to hear the logic you're using.

Reply to
Pete M

So the wife of a pikey builders merchant from Bolton is about as bad as it gets then ?

As an asides, there we were yesterday, out buying some scoff - as you do on a Saturday - when into the car park trundles an L200 pickup. Jacked up suspension, wide chromed wheels, real genuine knobbly off road tyres, chrome roll bar and 6 spotlights on the rollbar. Full Serengeti mode in otherwords. It wasn't a farmer or a groundworks contractor towing a trailer with a digger on the back. It was maw, paw and the two brats going for shopping. WTF is wrong with these people ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo and stupidity.

Reply to
DervMan

Not round here they haven't

Or buy one already converted?