Mad "Bored Friday" thoughts.

Renault Espace V6, what are they like? Prices seem reasonable for a large people barge.

Have this crazy idea for a project (which remain fantasy for now) of building one into a bling monster, big alloys, airbag suspension (unless it is torsion bar rear then just lowered), funky paint, dark tints, and an incredible multimedia install.

What do they drive like? No point in even dreaming if they flip over trying to three pint turn.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"three pint turn" - deliberate, Freudian, or just a typo? ;-)

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Typo, but I have on occasion fallen over turning, after 3 pints. Some of those real ales are fooking stong.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You might be on to something there, they;re a similar size and shape to a VW camper aren't they?

Reply to
fishman

S'what my old boss did with his.

Reply to
Grant

A little bigger I think, with prices from =A31500 for an K reg, upto from= =20 =A33k for a 97 onwards.

Don't look too geeky, all the different versions were visually similar,=20 just improved, and the interiors look passable and suitable for a decent=20 retrim without a complete and total custom rebuild. Could look good with=20 a decent "mild" bodykit on, similar to the F1 Espace that Renault=20 themselves built but not as radical.

And a 3litre V6 can't be that slow.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

What, three pints and he flipped it?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

He certainly managed the latter. Wrote it off IIRC.

Reply to
Grant

They're made of plastic IIRC so that could well be true. Same V6 that was turbo'd for the Alpine?

Reply to
fishman

*shudder* nasty pushrod lump with 150ish bhp

Get a 2.2TD

Reply to
Chet

Oi, there's nothing wrong with that!!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Have you been watching "Pimp My Ride" then? :)

The older V6 is weak. Actually all older Renault V6s are weaker, the second one fitted to the Laguna was more like it.

They're a big MPV... quite softly sprung and not really notable for driving dynamics. The Galaxy / Alhambra / Sharon (based on the Mondeo, heh) is easily a better drivers' car.

But then I guess that's not the point.

Another alternative might be the Toyota Previa. 2.4 four banger engine, automatic transmission. Thirsty in a 24 mpg on a run way, but retro cool (in my opinion). The ex, ex boss had one before chopping it for a turbodiesel Espace.

Which brings me on to the TD versions. Probably rather more expensive to buy but much more economical than the V6.

Reply to
DervMan

Actually, have never seen an episode. I just know that that where in the UK, or US, big saloons and 4x4's are getting the bling treatment, in Japan it is the "Executive" van that is big.

Wasn't expecting a race car engine TBH, just a moderatley grunty cruiser, Would the Laguna one fit?

Didn't really want a push on drivers monster, but something that would actually get where you wanted it still on it's wheels, but of course I did mention airbags, or lowered uprated standard suspension. Airbags would be coolest, because they actually allow some suspension action, while being adjustable on the fly.

totally not the point. It probably would only be driven slowly anyway to show off.

I did look at the Previa, slightly smaller but again nice looking.

And I believe there was a few import TD Previas too.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Yeah, my Dad's got an import TD. Borrowed it for an Ikea trip a while back and it suprisingly nice to drive with a fair bit of grunt. Obviously we're not talking lightening quick, but it was easy enough to pile on a bit of speed for overtaking/lane changing!

And its also mid engined and rear wheel drive, so it has potential to be entertaining!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

that was what I liked about the Previa, over the Espace.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Hmm. The Espace understeers off an icy road, the Previa spins and goes off ass first? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Yeah, but at least then I can't see what I'm going to hit, and if I can't see it, it won't hurt...

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

HORRENDOUS !

Absolutely COMICALLY bad !

See

for my experiences with a brand spanking new 2.0 16v (in 2001).

Excellent, as long as you aren't accelerating (so little traction, that the traction control sits permanently on) or braking (so little traction, that the ABS sits permenently on) or steering (it's like a boat - ie, it falls over).

Cease your dreaming then :)

Reply to
Nom

Except that the performance and economy are *rubbish*. And they only start when they're cold ;)

Reply to
Nom

That's what lives in my Pug, and I quite like it. Makes 250bhp in the Clio V6 too :)

But they don't make anywhere near 210bhp, without mucho fettling (if at all). Having said that, it would be nice to average more than 26mpg :)

Reply to
Nom