manifold(stainless steel)

HI! We are the companies that a profession produces stainless steel turbo manifoldS in CHINA, we have up to 100 products to be provided for you to choose, believe highest quality, lowest price will let you be interested in us. pls email to me,i also can send some pics to you. email snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
supramanifold

Stainless is not a suitable material for turbo exhaust manifolds, as it cracks far more easily than mild steel, and is far more difficult to manufacture than mild steel part.

Ken

You sure? It might not be perfect, but it is suitable. Just depends on the grade of stainless.

Reply to
Elder

Mild steel is a far better choice. In general the use of stainless for making exhausts has more to do with marketing bullshit, than any consideration of whats going to work best.

Ken

Well steel works fine but looks crap, rusts etc. Stainless may well work harden with vibration and heat/cool cycles but looks well - better! If you have a performance car, drag car, or a bike where the thing is on view then stainless is the only real choice. I agree that for grocery getters or utility vehicles etc steel is great. But the risk of cracks with stainless is reduced by stress relief after the initial welding up, and thicker materials can be used too. I used to make stainless headers up for drag bikes and exhausts too. Never had one crack yet! The advantage is that they are simply prettier! And can be polished and take on a pretty light brown colour rather than a rough reddy brown rust colour!

Check out the one on my turbine! This gets to 760 degrees C regularly and still looks pretty.

It also makes 16lb thrust, revs to 160,000 rpm (no misprint) and sounds very serious and whistles/thunders very loudly!!! Ful FADEC control system etc. .

Plane is under construction (this one same but not mine (see dirty motor!)

It does 200mph (limited only by a speed sensor on board that throttles back when never exeed speed is achieved.) Or 250/300mph if you dont mind occasional mid air explosions...

See I do other stuff apart from bikes/cars/nitrous systems/dynamometers/drag racing!

Burgerman

Reply to
Burgerman

If you are seriously into a proper turbo manifold, then it has to be inconel. If thats too expensive, then in my view the next best choice is mild steel, with a good quality ceramic coating.

Ken

You probably don't need a warning that "Ken" is as mad as a box of fruit flies and will simply cut and paste the same drivel over and over again.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Plus having thought about it the turbine wheel is cast from inconel like a turbo turbine wheel. Its as hard as hell and brittle. It STAYS hard when hot (which is why its used in the turbine motor shown as it has to have the strength not to explode at 160k rpms while glowing orange! So it would work harden even worse than stainless steel does. And the reason steel does not crack under the heat and vibration is because its the opposite - soft when hot.

Reply to
Burgerman

I used to use Mr Turbo ceramic coated steel ones. After a few runs when really hot (or used on turbines that ALWAYS reach around 720 to 760 during start up) the coatings start to get porous and the dreaded ugly tinworm starts! Chrome or black chrome fails too. You cant bend or make manifolds from inconel (as far as I know) anyway. But whats wrong with SS for them? I can show you a good few old ones still working beutifully and crack free and still pretty too! Properly built and designed, stress relieved, any old stainless works great. I used cheap food grade stuff! You can buy bends and straight tube to make up your own pipework. Its a bit thicker walled than a normal steel turbo manifold but thats a good thing with a heavy turbo and exhaust system hanging on it!

Reply to
Burgerman

Don't try to educate him, he has a love of his ignorance and prides himself in demonstrating it at every opportunity.

Reply to
Depresion

Well I post no more then! :)

Reply to
Burgerman

That's complete s**te. I have a full stainless system on my old SD1 which is some 8 years old and still fine. It used to get through mild steel back boxes near every year. Centre box about 2.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stainless steel was also used for the thrust chamber of (some) rocket motors. This are cooled by cryogenic fuel and cycle between 3500K and approximately 110K. That's a far bigger range than will ever be encountered in the manifold of a turbocharger and the operating pressures and stresses on the thrust chamber are considerably higher than those on a turbo manifold, typically 200 bar.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Very interesting that you cant make exhaust manifolds from iconel...................A friend of mine who used to be Jackie Stewarts race engineer must be wrong then!

Ken

So says someone who has for years been trolling on here, attacking others, and behaving almost as though he is barking mad!

Ken

Thats good because you dont seem to know what you are on about!

Suggest you find out what F1 cars exhuast manifolds are made out of! Might also be an idea to get a bit of a a grasp of simple metallurgy before making yourself look as silly as the other idiots posting here.

Ken

Likely yes.

Reply to
Burgerman

This guy also used to build fully functioning historic F1 cars from scratch. As you obviously have a far more knowledge and expertise in the area of F1 than he does, maybe you should get involved in this sort of work?

Ken

Ok then! But I thought that was you!

Reply to
Burgerman

Hold on. You genuine have nothing better to do? You're actually willing to admit your time is worth *so little* that you can spend it sitting at your computer trying to irritate people you've never met (which is probably very, very lucky for you) on Usenet? That's quite sad really. I bet you've never had sex either (that you haven't paid for of course).

Reply to
DanTXD