Mazda incident..

All piss taking accepted, and probably deserved.

Reply to
Mike P

The right link is actually..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Things happen. You've put a wheel in the grass and spun it.

If one knew (when driving) the stupidity he is to commit in 5 seconds, most of such drama would be avoided. Hinsight is beautiful but most of the time comes too late.

My advise? Repair the MX5 or get another one and drive the same road again at the same speeds with it.

You've learned something and some things are learned the hard way.

Best regards,

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I think it's either that or I caught the white lines in the middle of the road. Whatever, my fault 100%

Heh, how true is that :-)

I was just talking to my caterham/lotus loving boss. He said the same, and added "it's always the road you know that catches you out". Too true. I've driven over this road 10,000 times - literally and never, ever had a crash in all manner of cars, bikes and vans. The insurance will collect the Mazda today and tell me what the score is. It doesn't look too badly damaged but I'm not sure how the underneath took the crash. The exhaust got torn off and the underside at the front took a belt, but I'm not sure how much repairs will cost - it needs 3 new wheels and tyres for a start, that must be £600 or so.. + new exhaust, another £200, the front pulling out and probably a suspension realighment at the very least.

Spot on.. No point trying to divert blame elsewhere, it was my fault plain and simple. If I made excuses, I'd never learn and do the same thing again.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Good job you lost it on the bank side and not down that drop on the other side...

Reply to
Abo

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Three times a day, six days a week, for ten years?

Reply to
Adrian

The woman who saw it all from down the road drove past me and turned round about 1/2 mile further on. In that time, I'd started the car and moved it to a safe place which was out of sight. She thought I'd gone over that drop and rolled. She was relived to find me having a cig and parked up off the road.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

well, I drove it 4 times a day for 6 years, then drive over it a few times most weekends still. Ok, maybe not quite 10k, but not far off. That was the

3rd time in two days I'd been over it at the weekend.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Feels like I've done the A1, M1, M62 and M18 that many times.

Reply to
Conor

That's the last you'll see of that then - you'd have been better off asking them to assess it on your drive or wherever it currently is.

At that age, it's a write off.

Still worth good money to someone on eBay or even in here (1, and almost certainly more than what the insurance would want to knock off the settlement for it.

Oh, and wheels - you'd get another set of wheels and tyres secondhand for much less than £600.

Reply to
JackH

It's on an agreed value policy at £1500, with my £100 excess I'm hoping that's what they'll give me. If it was 3rd party, I'd have had it back on the road today..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Ok... so why just let them take it away when they might let you keep the salvage for peanuts?

It's well known that once they've recovered a car that then gets written off, you have an awful job on your hands getting it back off them.

If you're that sure it's relatively easy to get back on the road, why not get a settlement figure sorted then repair it to the point where it can either be used by you again or sold on to some other mug.

;-)

Reply to
JackH

Well, if they write it off, I'll buy Pete M's :-) It *looks* repairable, but I haven't had it on ramps or seen underneath so I've no idea what damage it's done under there, apart from rip the exhaust off.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

A source of spares would be perhaps nice too, in that case? ;-)

That aside, not sure whether your current one is a UK spec one or a Eunos, but the Eunos can't be insured as a classic unfortunately, so tends to be that much dearer than the equivalent UK spec car in that respect.

Check this out before committing to one, anyway.

Like I said, if the insurance company value the salvage at pennies, then I'd be wanting to retain it, be that to repair, break or sell on as is.

Reply to
JackH

It's a Eunos Roadster. Adrian Flux are my broker, they were happy to put it on a classic agreed value policy. Equity Red Star are the insurers, they said no probs when I told them what had happened.

That's what I'll ask them. My main problem is that it's sat on my gran's drive 200 miles from home at the moment.

Ta for all the advice :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Interesting... everywhere I tried in the past refused to view a Eunos as a classic... which now somewhat opens the field up a bit in terms of cars, should I get another. :-D

No worries. :-D

Reply to
JackH

It'll buff out, I've taxed worse etc....

Reply to
Steve H

I'll not be doing it, because karma would come back for me.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I'm sure he will (and that Mike knows that), but I believe he was quoting those prices in terms of "proper insurance repair" prices - i.e. brand new parts prices....

Reply to
AstraVanMann