Mazda RX8s...

Anyone got any actual experience of them? I have a mate who seems hell bent on saddling himself with one. Personally I think if it got it's 230bhp (obviously we're not looking at the crap spec 190bhp ones) from a normal 2.0

16v Turbo there would be no downside - but I really, really can't see the point in flogging the Rotary anymore. Anyone care to enlighten me as to why 60k rebuilds (I know everyone said that was a thing of the past, but googling is telling me a different story), massive oil consumption (with expensive oil as well it seems), expensive servicing and zero torque are a benefit?
Reply to
DanB

No his was pov spec 190 I think? I read it's a totally different setup, less valves or something equally uninteresting.

FWIW I told him just to go get something like this instead -

DanB

That'll be a "ping Richard Kilwhatsit" post then?

Reply to
Pete M

That, to me, is what can only be described as a "Chest Wig Chariot", and if you want one of those, this is much better...

Oh, if your mate would like an immaculate, 44k mile, 2000"X" reg, one owner Howdi TT 225 in an unfortunate colour (battleship grey) I have one for sale...

Reply to
Pete M

I think he's aiming for more of an open top motoring thing.

I think that might be toooooo gay.

Reply to
DanB

He's one of your mates, it should be perfect.

Paging Lord Doug....

Reply to
Pete M

Well that's true. 350z just struck me as quite good for that kinda money. I confess entirely I don't know anything, at all, about rotaries and didn't mean to offend the Timonater with my regurjitated (spelling?) Usenet style reviews heh.

Reply to
DanB

Doesn't matter, you were still right - zero torque unless you've got plenty of revs dialled in.

Well, zero is a bit of an exaggeration, but if you're used to driving anything with a bit of poke it's certainly not going to blow your socks off until you're doing silly RPM. I've only driven the 230 though, apparently the 190 supposedly feels more torquey...

It is quite nice to drive though, and handles surprisingly well. Not sure I'd want to own one day in day out though.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

As I said somewhere else in the thread, I know literally nothing, at all about them. The closest I've got is once sitting in an RX-7 twin turbo and revving it at a standstill heh. It had the loudest dumpvalves known to man, and a hideous Veilside bodykit. Never so much as touched an RX-8. My opinions were entirely based on what other people thought :-)

Reply to
DanB

Why surprisingly? The chassis is based on the FD series RX7 and has been lengthed a little. And an FD handles *very* well.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

get one like this problem solved

Vamp

Rotary. Until you've driven one you'll never understand. Superbike style low inertia drivetrain, unbelievable noise at full revs, super smoothness.

The oil is sacrificial, you use a lot but then ISTR you don't actually change it. Rotor tips are just an expensive consumable.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

We had one the fleet, well sort of, it was a directors' plaything that he leased through the company. It was faultless other than a bit heavy on tyres. And a little thirsty in the context of 230 bhp machine, but only a little juicy.

The 190 has fewer gears and revs and it's reckoned that for normal driving it doesn't feel all that slower. The book says it's slower, I've only driven the two different machines in wildly different conditions (230 - boring urban crawl with some fast dual carriageway roundabouts, 190, usual test route from York).

Why buy one? Same reason why you'd buy most things with a petrol engine rather than a turbodiesel: revs. Like some of the older DOHC VTEC donks, it isn't no torque at lower engine speeds, just normal torque output. It only starts to excite once you've (a) nailed it and (b) have the tachnometer over

6,000 rpm.

The 230 is geared to help you in this respect too. :) Plus it sounds great.

That and there's usable space in the back, a decent boot, good equipment and fun handling. It also looks good too.

Would I have one? Yes. In that lovely blue colour.

Reply to
DervMan

This suggestion...

... may well lead to that outcome.

Not changing the oil on a rotary is about as good an idea as not changing the oil on any other highly-stressed engine.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Even the local Mazda dealer told me he wouldn't be touching them 2nd hand with more than 30k on the clock as "too much risk".

Reply to
Depresion

In an RX8? Well first you have to find the engine, it's buried well under a huge plastic cover then nestled low and right back against the bulkhead.

Reply to
Depresion

They seem really well put together as well.

Reply to
Depresion

None of the Mazda dealers, or indeed any of the franchised lot locally will put anything more than 2 or 3 years old or with more than about 30k on the forecourt.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

RX8 210Nm BMW 330Ci 214Nm Peter Hill one handed measured with a Halford's 0-200Nm torque wrench

200Nm.

I really don't think the seat of anyone's pants can detect that lack of 4Nm.

Reply to
Peter Hill

On a 4 stroke 1L/1000miles is a clear sign of a knackered engine, it's the acceptable limit not the norm. Under warranty it's the point at which BMW would have to accept that the engine was defective and haul it out to fix it.

Rotary engines are meant to use oil. They inject a small volume of oil into the inlet to lube the tip seals. It's like not putting the oil in the fuel for a 2 stroke chainsaw or strimmer - they don't last very long.

Reply to
Peter Hill