Mazda RX8s...

That colour grey? IMO it looks good with the tan coloured leather. It looks better on a MK2 Golf mind.

Reply to
Doki

Explain that to BMW, especially their motorcycle division. AFAIR a lot of the slightly older engines are allowed to use up to 1l/1000km; however I CBA to Google for a source of that.

As I said somewhere up there ^^^^.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

But could Peter Hill maintain that amount of torque at several thousand revolutions per minute, for a good few hours at a time, reliably? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Unfortunately not.

Is the colour. We bought it by accident, a big accident. Looks like it's covered in feckin' primer, ffs.

Reply to
Pete M

Not knowing the guy, I'd confidently say yes, but the shredded wheat consumption would probably be sky-high.

Reply to
conkersack

Of course he can, Peter Hill is more than half 200SX! (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

lol

Reply to
Vamp

Indeed it does:

Zimmy

They are ok to drive in a freaky sort of way. But they are no better than anything out there. WRX is a much better option.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Ah, so speaketh the man who feels the numbers must endow him with the penis that nature did not ;)

Look at the torque curves and gearing for the RX8, and drive 230 vs.

192, and remember that the 230 revs to 9,500 instead of 7,500 and has a six-speed gearbox.

Unless you're going to take it on the track and cane it, they're pretty evenly matched with the 192 offering less complexity. And they're very unusual to drive, rather like a motorbike in power delivery.

What counts in the RX8 is revving it and the handling. It has no torque. Compared to a 2.0 16v turbo four, you're going to swear at it in traffic and fall heavily in love on twisty clear A-roads. The speeds I could achieve on a country route in the RX8 surpassed my Legacy 4Cam Turbo, the 924S, the "oddly quick" Scirocco - everything that I enjoyed driving fast has been shamed.

In traffic it's a different story. The lack of grunt in either car makes dealing with slower traffic a real drag; I got so sick of it in traffic jams that I've decided to have an automatic in my next car.

From the compensation point of view, anyone looking at an RX8 is already going to assume you have no c*ck, and the extra virtual inches provided by the 230 are only noticeable by hardcore RX8 geeks externally (and frankly, do you WANT to attract the sort of person that notices screen washers?).

Everyone with an ounce of petrol in their bloodstream should own a rotary car at least once and the RX8 is a pretty damn good one.

RX8s needing 60K rebuilds? They eat catalysts, they suffer from corrosion issues, but the engines (as long as everything else behaves) are very good. Old turbocharged ones needed rebuilds, but that was as much to do with the forced induction.

My experience of oil consumption on the 192 was that it used less than my 1.6 Beetle; it consumed a litre every 2,500 miles. It did need a new cat at 17K, my dealer was very good for servicing which was cheap (£85 for 12,500 mile), tyres go in 8,000 miles, watch for rust on early models and above all make sure the oil cooler pipe recall has been carried out. Gearboxes aren't great, either, and they do have a reputation for eating clutches (but this is no surprise in UK traffic with an engine that either needs 2,000 rpm and slipping clutch not to hit the crawling HGV in front, or would like to stall or kangaroo).

Many of them are ex rep cars. My old one, FH55 OBW, was looked after and not caned (it was driven hard though); I've seen them get pretty abused.

TBH, I loved the car, but it isn't well suited to British road conditions. My next car is chosen as a pure antidote to the way driving in the UK has gone and is going to keep me calm, relaxed and unflustered.

I've already bought the plate for it - C6 RTK ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

"Pov spec"? Cheeky twunt. It cost me a whole tenner a month more than a Yaris I'll have you know.

Difference is:

Six ports, additional valving, higher RPM, six-speed box.

Torque is higher peak, more dramatic curve, lower midrange. Gearing is annoying. RPM is higher hence the higher peak.

I'd have a 192 over a 230 any day. On the road, they're as fast, because your limit is well above common sense allows. I doubt you know the roads, but 120mph through Mosspaul on the A7 is realistic, with the obvious caveat of "I'd never do that officer" and "watch out for the increasingly tight bend at the end of it".

Six port models use more oil and tend to clog up the sixth port actuators if they're not caned regularly.

Richard (now missing his RX8, thanks. I'm currently pootling about in Jen's 1.6 MX5 automatic whilst my MR2 languishes in Birmingham and I wait to sell the house to order the new beast).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

To check the oil: Open the bonnet. Look at dipstick. Use a mirror if required ;)

To put more oil in. Remove plastic cover. Put in oil.

Both were perfectly easy for me. I added gas struts to the stupidly light bonnet, though, because using the bonnet prop literally doubled the time taken.

As mentioned before, consumption on mine was 1 litre/2,500 miles.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Added gas struts??? Don't be dirtying this group with talk of modifications now.....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Hehe sorry dude, I didn't mean it, I just meant "The lower powered one" :)

Reply to
DanB

Awesome details there dude :-) I did point out I knew sweet FA about them before hehe! And also, it wasn't for me. But you'll be happy to know, he bought a Corsa VXR instead heh...

Reply to
DanB