Mental note - fords are bad

Of the watery variety that is. Took the missus on a quick trip round the top of Portsmouth as we were out there picking up some Volvo bits from round there. Decided to show her the ford where our mate smashed up his mini. It was only a few inches deep and i took it relatively slowly.

5 mins later I take a look at the dash and the oil pressure gauge is almost nothing, the temp is in the red and the voltage is in the orange. Oh joy. So pull over - check oil and its fine, plenty in there, no leaks. Engine doesnt feel too hot. Go to start the car and there's nothing. Check the fanbelt, and it's still attached and is tight. Look in the boot and I have very few tools, but liberally sprayed a bit of WD40 about in the hope in might help. Obviously it didnt. So phoned recovery. An hour later he turns up. Hooks up his power pack, but the starter just clicks. Checks the voltage and it's about 12v. Hooks up the jump leads to his van instead, still nothing. Plays with a few connections on the starter (which are covered in oil after a wee accident a few weeks ago), still nothing. Gets out a crow bar and gives the starter a few whacks whilst I'm on the key which just about turns the car over but wont start. So decide to give it a bump start and it finally roars into life.

With nothing on it's chraging at about 13.5v, with the headlights on it drops to about 13v. I thought this was far too low (opinions?) but he reckoned it was ok. But the car was running so decided to try and get home. Made it the 20 or so miles home, with gauges reading nonsense and the voltmeter in the orange. As soon as I switched it off it wouldnt start again - no power.

So what thinks you? The alternator sounded like it could have been making a bit of noise as we got home. Maybe that's on its way out? I've read on the OMOC forum that someone else had a similar water related problem. It would be hours, or even overnight before the alternator started working again properly. Another person had the same problem , but would be ok within 20s or so.

Gonna give all the connections a clean up tomorrow to see if that helps, if not it'll be down the scrappie to try and pick up a higher output Senator alternator and mounting brackets.

Stupid cars. Lets hope the Volvo passes the MoT on wednesday otherwise I'll be carless and will have to use public transport (spit!).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Isn't that the mistake?

ISTR you need to build up a bit of a 'bow wave' to ensure the water is cleared from the car.

Reply to
SteveH

The most likely explanation is that the alternator belt got wet, water acts as lubricant, alternator belt slips, no charge.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's in the name "WD40" is Water Displacer 40. It moves water away. Yep, you are a dip. ;)

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

My problem wasn't water related, but I had a similar problem where the car needed a jump start but wouldn't ever start on its own. Finally diagnosed as an earth strap problem under the engine. Perhaps the water has dislodged a shaky connection?

Reply to
Halmyre

No, you want to *avoid* creating a bow wave.

Reply to
DervMan

You've never owned a Mini, have you?

Reply to
Abo

Since the bow wave causes problems in traffic coming the other way.

Surely you don't apply off road driving techniques to the road?

Reply to
DervMan

Oh dear. The trick is to create a bow wave which gives you a lower water level behind it, thus helping protect the motor, and to drive fast enough to keep that wave going as you cross the ford.

Reply to
Conor

Since when? Not on any offroad driving course I've ever done.

Reply to
Conor

Washed the rust away between :)

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

How many fords do you know that are busy enough to have two-way traffic?

And even if two cars from opposite directions did approach one at the same time, do you *really* thnk they'd go through at the same time?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In a Ford? Not having one causes MORE problems does it not?

Bloody well do. Works wonders in snow and in deep water.

Reply to
Conor

You got me there. Only one.

I got you on that one. You need to spend more time in Yorkshire.

Conversely, I live in York, where it floods. It also floods in Pontefract. And I often see stupid bints in their offroad vehicle creating a big bow wave because they are late / on time / stupid / inconsiderate* and people do drive on both sides too...

*delete any or none as applicable.
Reply to
DervMan

Probably not an issue when crossing most fords, given that they only really exist on minor roads.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Errm, I said few inches, not feet! I dont think a bow wave technique is really needed when the water barely reaches the wheel!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

This is what I've been doing this evening - cleaning up all the connections to the starter/battery/alternator. No such luck so far, but I'm not sure if the battery is flat, and someone has parked right next to me so cant get the MR2 in there to hook up jump leads. Although thinking about it, there's one earth strap I havent checked which earths the engine under the manifolds, and is quite exposed. Ah well, that can wait till tomorrow evening now, I'm hungry!!

I've also discovered a loose engine mount nut and a hole in the side of the dizzy cap.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Decided to check the last earth strap afterall:

'll be it then :) Found a proper earth cable in the garage which was the perfect size, put that on and the car fired up straight away. Sorted. Wasnt a water problem afterall, just a an ancient strap!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Your car must be really s**te if it packs up in a few inches of water.

Reply to
Conor

Well it seems other Manta owners have had similar problems in water. The Delco alternator is senstive to water apparently. And there was water up in the engine bay when I stopped so it deinately got up in there.

Anyways, if you read my other post the problem was a broken earth strap. Whether it was the splash of water that finally finished it off, some debris on the road, the potholes I went over, getting sideways on some mud or sneezing too hard, who knows. Sorted now with some proper cable, so all is good.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs