Metric tyres

Anyone know a place that sells reasonably priced metric tyres?

A mate from work has recently bought a Citroen CX with the metric sized alloys. Current quotes are around the £180 per tyre mark!!! A quick google suggests he needs 190/65 HR 390 TRX

Any help appreciated (apart from selling the car of course!!)

Cheers

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Carl Gibbs, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

IIRC Colway do them, they're a pretty good copy of the old Avon Turbospeeds so just about perfect for the CX.

I had some good ones on my old 2.8injection Granada, but I can't remember what make they were.

Reply to
Pikey Pete

Don't know if they still list them, but remind me next week when I'm=20 back in work, when I have my Tyremonkey head back on.

I'll ring Tom and Adam at the factory and see if they do them.=20

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

A set of 15"s and a sharp knife.

Reply to
ThePunisher

You'll probably find that a full set of wheels and tyres in a proper size are cheaper than 4 metric tyres.

That was certainly the case why my brother bought an E34 on TRX wheels.

Reply to
SteveH

remoulds.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Are you sure about that size? If it's a GTi, which IIRC was the one with metric tyres, they were 210/55 VR390 (H).

£180 a tyre is a discount, Blackcircles shows:

Michelin TRX Millimetric

210/55 R390 V £199.29

Very few places supply them, even fewer stock them. Now you, or your friend, know why people avoid metric tyres.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's a Citroen, wheels will cost a fortune as well as the tyres.

The BMW TRX's are about £300 a pop nowadays.

For a time an advertiser in one of the Jag comics was doing Dunlop 390s for a very reasonable price (£69), but IIRC they were 255/60 so a bit big for the Citroen.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nowt wrong with Colways The last owner slapped a pair on the front of the Celsior for the last MOT. Feel nice, grip well, appear to wear reasonably, and cheap.

Reply to
Elder

I once effectively wrote off a car by hitting a remould carcass which some incosiderate fellow had left rather inconveniently in the middle of the road.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I beg to differ, it's my life and I'll not trust it to remoulds.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Could be, I just googled that size and thats the first answer I come across. the car is a DTR Turbo 2.

Indeed!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Then don't trust new tyres either. Colways are made and tested to E108 and E109 regulations, just like new tyres.

Most trucks run on remoulds, and while appararently, you still get some shedding their laminate, you don't get the catastrophic failure you used to get.

Biggest shit is when really cheap, really nasty far eastern tyres are sold stupidly cheap as "remould quality". They aren't even fit for a low speed trailor use.

As it happens, Colway sell loads of V rated tyres, and their motorsport tyres are all made in the same way. There is one tyre that is the control tyre for the Porsche 924 race series, and others that are the prefered tyre classic and historic rallying.

Plus there is a big thing at the moment about the environmental aspects of remoulds. A remould saves 7-8 gallons of oil. E marked remoulds can only use "first use" cases (not previously remoulded) and only those that pass visual inspection before and after re-laminating. Failed cases are used for playground soft flooring, carpet underlay and even in the cement industry.

That is why companies like FEDIMA

InsaTurbo
and Maxsport
are doing so well with road and motorsport tyres.

Reply to
Elder

Mmm hmm, next you'll be telling me that they are made to ISO9001 standards.

I've never had a proper tyre delaminate on me, the only car I have had with remoulds (the previous owner had fitted it with remoulds) had all four tyres delaminate within 20,000 miles.

Do you not notice all the pieces of tyre by the side of the motorway?

BTW, those companies are doing well because drivers are cheapskates, not because the tyres are fit for purpose.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Maybe you should drive something less pikey / move somewhere less pikey? :-p

Reply to
DervMan

I do know that Maxsport are an ISO9001 company.

Reply to
Elder

Maxsport have it

are working toward it.http://www.c-tyres.co.uk/standards.htmInsaTurbo have it
do Fedima, it is in the heading banner on each page.

Reply to
Elder

I'll put you down for a "whoosh" on that shall I?

You are aware that one can get ISO9001 for producing crap, dangerous products? Just as long as one states that one will produce crap, dangerous products and one has a QA system in place to assure that the products really are both crap and dangerous it's possible to get accredited.

i.e. ISO9001 says nothing about the products.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ah, another triumph of marketing bollocks, "working towards ISO9001". I'm working my way towards giving a f*ck.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I know a few people that have used both Colway Intermediates and Colway Rally Sport tyres for motorsport events and have been very pleased with how they perform.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs