micra

I've just bought a K10 micra for £250. Should be more economical than the golf, cheaper to insure and more reliable.

Can I go back to university please? I used to have a rather nice Turbo Lancia then. I hate students - they have far too much money. Look at DanTXD he's getting a 54 plate car, can afford all kinds of laptops and fast computers as well as these fancy remote control cars.

In the real world, I've sold most of my computer, downgraded my car twice or three times and have little money left at the end of each month.

Doh!

PS I have a good job & I earn over 20k...

Reply to
fishman

you probably got a wife or something, that's gotta be £15k keep :)

Reply to
Vamp

Heroin habit? All the uni students I know are all broke.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Then you're doing something wrong.

It's not too long ago when I remember that kind of pay packet, but I still had a car, a bike and a house. Managed OK.

You're probably living in the wrong place ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

You're going to have to take Clarksons advice and move to Yorkshire.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

"Fraser Johnston" wrote

Living in Cheshire, Knutsford and Lymm are close by. I work in Wilmslow. Put it this way, the car insurance people raised my premium when I moved here "because you're more likely to bump into an expensive car"

There really isn't anywhere round here that is significantly cheaper than where I live without being really shit or being a nightmare commute. I was paying £175 per month rent at uni and that was quite steep. I'm now paying a bargainous £390 including all bills, rural setting, big driveway, big house shared with 4 others.

Compare that to my bird who's paying £340, not including elec and gas bills, in a 2up 2down converted to accommdodate 6 people, in Altrincham. I know what I'd rather have.

Reply to
fishman

Fook sake, just move to the other side of the M6 into Warrington, will probably halve your rent/mortgage, and drop you insurance too, all for just a couple extra miles drive. Just don't go for appleton, or "The Village" (the locals know where that is).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

"MeatballTurbo" wrote

Warrington... I quite like not being near any chavs. 12.7 miles drive to work is enough too, Warrington will only add to that, won't it?

Reply to
fishman

So live in Wilmslow. That's where I used to live when I lived up there. Then you won't need a car at all. There are some decent places to be had around Water Lane/Altrincham Road for the sort of money that you are paying out now.

Also you'll have the joy of being able to stagger tot he pub/restaurant and not risk your license.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't think Wilmslow counts as 'significantly cheaper'

'significantly more expensive' is closer to the mark.

Reply to
SteveH

"SteveH" wrote

I agree with SteveH - I looked into this. My landlord has another house in Wilmslow, infact I looked at that one before moving where I am now. It was pretty scruffy, worse than the house I stayed in when at uni. And more expensive. And I'd have to live with a bunch of unattractive, single 30 year old women rather than a bunch of lads nearer my own age. There was less parking too, the place was generally a lot smaller.

I don't know when you lived in Wilmslow, Steve Firth, but at the moment it is ridiculously expensive, and very difficult to find anywhere to rent at all, let alone cheaply. Wilmslow has stupidly huge levels of traffic and congestion because it's where loads of jobs are but nobody can afford to live there (and those who can prefer to buy something bigger and nicer elsewhere). There are only two people where I work out of about 50 who actually live in Wilmslow - one has a very well off husband and the other bought her house many years ago and is now selling up and retiring on the profit aged about 40.

I looked into Handforth but I value my wheeltrims more than to do that.

Reply to
fishman

How about a move further north up the A34?

Somewhere like Didsbury would, ISTR, be significantly cheaper.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm earning a fair bit less than that, but own the car i want, look after the missus, and live in a beautiful house with her and a couple of mates on the south coast next to the New Forest. Theoretically i should be able to save a fair bit of money at the end of the month, but i spend a lot of it on stuff i want, so dont, but who cares!

WTF are you doing with your money?!?!?!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Carl Gibbs" wrote

Differences between now and uni

As a student: Nobody asks you to pay back the money you borrowed while at uni! You tend to live in a place with loads of student oriented cheap deals Living costs very cheap You have loads of time to earn cash doing odd jobs here and there or freelancing Most of your mates live with you or round the corner, those who don't will travel to have a cheapo student night out with you You have loads of time to fix your car yourself rather than book into a garage You get a really well paid weekend job You go on work placement for 6 months or a year who pay you loads of money while you still live for cheap as a student AND get student loan payments You can go to the pub on weeknights, when they have all the drinks promotions on and fewer queues and fights

In the real world Everybody wants the money you borrowed back. The more you earn, the more they want. You tend to live in a place full of workies with workie ripoff prices Living costs rise considerably You have to commute You have no time or energy to make sly bucks doing odd jobs or freelancing. Your contract probably forbids you from freelancing, ie competing with the company you work for Most of your mates live miles away, costs a fortune to travel to see them You don't have time to fix your car so you book it into a garage You need to buy smarter clothes which cost more You have to go to the pub at weekends, when there are queues, fights and no drinks promotions

In addition, I was naive enough to spend my first 6 months in Cheshire living alone in a flat. Rent was £475 per month, plus I had to pay water, electric, council tax myself on top. Those 6 months were super skint for me and I still haven't recovered financially from it.

Look forward to it DanTXD?

I currently wish I was Hugo Taylor-Jones.

Reply to
fishman

Lol!!!!! funniest thing ive read in a while!

Im quite lucky i guess. Im at uni at the moment and enjoying living life on the cheap (relatively speaking) (with expensive lifestyle!). But when I leave uni, my monthly rent will be approx £50 including bills, water, food, parking etc etc. Living with my mates, and with an armed guard at the end of the driveway with pleasant views into Dartmouth harbour. Life in the forces has its benefits i guess! It will give me a good chance to save some money up for a house or dream car i reckon :)

Hopefully, ill never quite have to *live in the real world*, the one my parents keep on telling me about!

Reply to
Max Hamlet

In article , snipped-for-privacy@turdburglar.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Just a couple of miles. Stockton Heath (the Village) isn't remotley Chavvy, Appleton and Appleton Thorn is Millionaires row (just don't mention Thorn Cross YOI to the locals), there are some bad areas, but you would spot them as soon as you went to view a place.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@me.not spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

That is more than my mortgage, after a remortgage to pay off other bills, I find it easy, and I'm only on £16k.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I didn't borrow anything. I worked so I didn't have to.

You live in Cheshire. Somewhere else would be cheaper. I still frequent pound shops looking for bargains. Got enough Panasonic batteries to feed everything in the house with AAs for the next 12 months for £5 the other day :-)

Not that I've noticed. OK, so the mortgage is a bit steep, and I now run a car, but I probably spend less on 'living' than I did as a student once I've taken the mortgage out.

Work for someone who'll pay this for you, like I do :-)

True. Never felt the need to, though.

You'll grow out of it, make more local friends and generally see your other friends less often once you've moved in with the SO, though.

Or you buy a car that doesn't need to go into the garage.

Only for work. I still dress like a scruffy student outside of work.

You're going to the wrong pubs.

Reply to
SteveH

Coming from the owner of two Alfas :-))

I dress like a scruffy student at work as well :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Only one of which has needed garage work in the last 12 months - a clutch replacement, and you wouldn't do that at home.

Heh. I wish I could.

At least my work clothes are free.

Reply to
SteveH