Micra is in bits!

Finally got round to pulling the car apart. Eventually got to the head after removing about a million pipes (truly amazing the amount on this thing) and I discovered THIS!!

Its quite interesting to see the bits usually hidden on the car such as the supercharger...

Also quite crazy is the inlet manifold and plenum..

Another slightly worrying discovery (and I believe non related but there anyway are these cracks in the head:

They are on each cylinder at exactly the same place. Design fault me thinks? Im hoping this will not be a major problem to the head, and infact it will be fine.. (here hoping)

Oh and the head gasket was totally fine which was a surprise..

So looks like a total rebuild with more power and more boost will be on the cards...

Are these people

any good? Ed

Reply to
Ed

Yep. You can't really buy any better, although there are a few other also-good companies, so shop around for some prices !

Reply to
Nom

If you can put that lot back together again, I've got an XM Turbo for you to work on ;)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

I'm no mechanic - but number 2 'don't look quite right'....

Reply to
Dan405

You do realise that I also dont have any manual for this car either :) hehe. I just have to work it all out. But this will be a real challenge getting it back together again now :)

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Excellent I shall do so. :) Oh any you can recommend?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Thats actually piston no.3 i think the 2 stamp is a tolerance:)

Ed

Reply to
Ed

I know of a few people that have got pistons off these and are happy, i was quoted around £800

If you can bore the engine out to 82.7mm i've got a set of forged clio williams pistons you can have for £400uk :)

-- Chet

Chet

Too much boost can cause pre-ignition (as you well know) and pre-ignition can break stuff (i.e. pistons...)

Just weld your pistons up a bit, then stick them in the lathe to get the round again, they'll be fine...

If you don't have a lathe, I'm told a file, emory paper and engineers blue will do the job.

-- James

Reply to
James

Heh. That'd take it up to a 1.5 (just). Some forged pistons and stronger bottom end, and it'll be chucking out 300+Bhp in no time :-)

410BHp/ton granny wagon, ahhh yeah.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

now i gotta rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried :)

Reply to
Vamp

Wow to think I thought I needed new pistons...

Reply to
Ed

Eh? lol :) I'm going to go for a slight overbore. Slightly lower the compression ratio and aim for 200 BHP :) So a full engine rebuild will be on the cards. I am also going to change the pullys on the supercharger, and also modify the control on it so that it is controlled electronically rather than by the huge pile of vacumepipes it has now..

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Why are ports for 1,2 and 4 clean while 3 has gunge both in it and on it? TB water heater hose and breather hose at other end of plenum looks to have leaked too.

Only becomes a problem if the crack causes a leak or a lump falls out. To leak it has to reach the port behind the valve seat or the plug seat. Could cause the valve seat to come loose.

You need a mouse trap to stop them nibbling your pistons. Get the injectors cleaned and balanced? Fit EGT sensor on each port?

Accralite have a good name and list pistons for the 1.3 Micra but

Nissan Motorsport as a customer (maybe not for the March turbothough). List Prodrive and Toyota as well. Don't think they can listthe F1 engine makers they produce for on pain of death. Seen some photos of some JUN pistons and they had Cosworth on the underside of the crown. I believe a lot of Jap tuning stuff (especially technically demanding stuff like forged pistons, rods and transmissions) comes from the UK and gets repackaged in Japan with a nice price hike.

Peter Hill

Basically above that is a crankcase breather, oil got into that port once it was removed and I was moving it about to have a look at it.

All looks fine in that sense. Just small hairline cracks. In my opinion I would say its ok, bit annoying all the same. I shall strip down the head and have it checked all the same.

The injectors I have discovered are the same as the old Nissan 280Z. Well the part numbers match. Im going to see if there any upgrade options for these.

Yes I've noticed this in the past. Tbh I dont belive pistons from Japan will even be worth looking into, so for now ill contact Accralite. I'm in no rush to fix this and anticipate it not to be on the road until possibly march 2003.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Urrmm, Not wanting to be too picky, but do you intend to make your car go SOOO fast that it goes back in time? ;-)

Alex

Reply to
Alex Jackson

lol I wish then I would fix a few things that would have stopped these failures in the first place!!

200 BHP will do fine thanks :) But for now I just want to get it rebuilt to the best of my finances lol.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

cool the old flux capacitor mod :)

and no one spotted the Fast And The Furious quote :)

Reply to
Vamp

Thats cos there wasn't one?

Unless you meant to say:

"Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block, an replace the piston rings you fried"

;)

Reply to
Dan405

LOL, You crazy Kids! ;-)