Mini tests- Vx Insignia petrol & diesel

Had two of the above last weekend for a wedding- wanted both the same colour and spec, so ended up with a 1.8 and 1.9 cdti 130 in SE spec.

Good - Interior trim, comfort, seats, stereo and climate control. Steered well if numbly with virtually no feedback through the steering. Very quiet at speed and the wing mirrors were actually usuable (see "bad"). 1.9 cdti has plenty of go, even for the 130, from 1800rpm upwards, that didnt tail off til nearly 5000rpm. Managed 50mpg average!

Comfy in the back according to Bridesmaids.

Bad - VERY deep sills, and figure ugging seats, so once you were in, that was it. Almost needed a crane to get out. Stupid auto wipers were either intermittent or flat out. Seemed afew days behind the actual rain. Auto lights stayed resolutely on running lights even in dark torrential downpour = dash in darkness, and invisable to other road users. Back window like a letterbox. NO parking sensors even on the SE ! 18's looked nice, but already kerbed to buggery on a 5000mile car.

1.8 petrol severely dangerous- absolutely no power (apparently 140ps?!?) at all until you are caning it. Hardly surprising considering the weight of the thing. 6th gear pointless until 80mph. MPG on the same route as the cdti - 28 !

RRP - £22k. Verdict = buy a Mondeo.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I can see where the bads came from after I had one as a courtesy last year. But I loved it for the week I had it.

I found the shape of the mirrors ruined the useability, that and the heavy clutch on the diesel were my only downers.

Reply to
Elder

The bridesmaids were wearing furry boots?

Reply to
Steve Firth