minitest - GS450h

Mate of mine just got one, threw me the keys.

Quiet. Eerily quiet, just tyre noise unless you've got the throttle nailed, then you get a decent V6 growl. Completely silent at parking speeds on motor only.

Fast. Official 0-62 of 5.9 seems a bit understated and doesn't give a clue to the power delivery, which is seamless (as you'd expect with a CVT and an electric motor) and relentless. Overtaking is brilliant, no lag, no waiting for kickdown, just power. Had me grinning every time something in front of me rapidly became something behind me..

Dull. No wood, metal or leather on the dahs, very "toyota" inside and out. Lots of gimmickry, brilliant reverse camera, electric memory everything but just no character.

I drove it about 10 miles on back roads, then about 8 miles on dual, drove it very hard and got 31mpg. Bearing in mind that's what i'd get out of the E class driven like that, and that it's faster, quieter and petrol (so fuel is cheaper) it's a compelling package let down by not looking like anything special.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

What about the *Cupholders*, man? We need the nitty gritty!

Reply to
Pete M

and is the dash an STD?

Reply to
Vamp

Was too busy overtaking. Lots.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

yes.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Too bloody right, that's a s**te review.

It doesn't give any details about what it would be like if you're sat in traffic on the M42 with your boss and you both have a large cup from Coffee Nation.

Reply to
SteveH

If I were stuck in traffic on the M42 with my last boss I'd be looking for the "passenger eject" button, not the cupholder.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I have to confess that IME the best cupholder for a large Coffee Nation Latte (four sugars) is the one in the Renault Laguna Mk2.

VW Golf Mk4 ones are crap, cos if you use the AC the most effective vents are the ones that point straight at the cupholders. Hold the cup well enough, but I want my coffee at roughly 500 deg C, not chilled by the feckin' aircon to "tepid within seconds".

Reply to
Pete M

And a boot full of servers ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Heh.

My solution is likely to solve both issues.

BMW 520d SE. It appears that, though they're technically the next grade above me, they're actually little more per month to lease than a

3-series.
Reply to
SteveH

Which will be why the Motorways are full of them. Yes, they are now ubiquitous, but that probably means that everyone who 'user chose' one came to a pretty similar conclusion to you.

Obviously, I won't be having one myself, because when I opted out, it was a one way ticket. With my employer, once you opt out, you don't get back in, but I would have a 520D in a minute. Maybe in ten years time :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Boss has one. It really is the nuts for such an understated package. But he is gutted, he is going to have to sell it as they have just bought a rescue greyhound and the car isn't very dog friendly.

Reply to
Elder

Boot is crap in a 450h. Most it is motors and batteries.

Reply to
Elder

Looks a bit like a Jap. copy of a Pisshat.

Reply to
SteveH

I can't think of any reason why I (personally) would pick a 320d over a

520d. It's a much more complete package.

It isn't that I dislike the 3, but the 3s problems are arguably within the range, being the 1-Series* and 5-Series.

*The majority of 3-Series buyers don't care for packaging or rear seat room; the 1-Series cuts the gloss and gives you the mechanical specification.
Reply to
DervMan

Hmmmm.

The 3 series is significantly better specced and built than the 1 series.

Although I believe the 'phase 2' versions are better, but my local dealer didn't have a phase 2 120d to show me.

Reply to
SteveH

Convert to LPG, I keep being told by a mate to ditch the Derv for a Prius on LPG.

Reply to
Depresion

Both felt as well screwed together to me - but as I say, the 1-Series removes the gloss and gives you the same specification.

Reply to
DervMan

D'oh - mechanical specification...

Reply to
DervMan

Wonder what the tax would cost ? Prius is already low, alternative fuel knocks it down again. It may actually be a freebie for road tax.

Anyway, I have actually considered this very idea for SWMBO.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle