Mitsubishi GTO - Opinions?

There's the medallion man image but I'm sure you're used to that with a Firebird ;-) If you get one with 320bhp it still only works out at about 190bhp/ton so it's not going to be that quick, it depends on what you're used to.

Reply to
Homer

Ok then, how about this one (you all successfully put me off the XJSV12)

Early 90's Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo. Seem to be a lot around, 300+ bhp for around £4k can't be bad? Insurance is suprisingly affordable. Anyone owned one or got any comments, good or bad? The 4WD would be nice, has anyone ever had 4WS before - is it an appreciable difference? Lots of stuff to go wrong but fairly common so presumably not too hard to sort out and replace parts if needed?

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
<a>

expensive to fix but nice motors

Reply to
Nick Bailey

not well liked for there size and weight and handerling is meant to be a bit crappy too, better off with a skyline or a 200SX or *cough* MR2 turbo :)

anyway IMO there nice, saw lots of the at last weekends JAE, great motors but parts are ££££'s if they go wrong but being jap is normally really unlucky or because someone cut back on services...

Reply to
Vamp

bit crappy too, better off

but parts are ££££'s if

cut back on services...

Not bothered about size and weight - current car is a Pontiac Firebird so well used to it. Surely with 320 odd bhp the weight isn't a great issue, it's still going to move at a fair rate! Hopefully might test drive one at a local garage this weekend.

Reply to
<a>

yeah as i said they shift with a few mods! 0-60mph can hit around the 5's easily plus plenty of toys inside :)

Reply to
Vamp

They're something like 1,800 kg, though, so yes there's plenty of power but there's plenty of weight to lug about too.

I've read that the interior is typically Japanese and the handling and ride is tilted towards the "crossing the continent on the motorway" rather than "crossing the country via the back roads."

But this probably isn't an issue!

Reply to
DervMan

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "typically Japanese" interior? Used to my Americans (lots of tacky plastic and cupholders) so doubt it'll be much worse! Any risk going for an older one? Seen a 91 advertised at £4k, low mileage and service history so could be good.

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
<a>

I had one for about 3 weeks. The only japanese car I've ever brought and how long I had it should give you a clue as to my opinion of it. Its heavy, slow and generaly bloody awful. They might have 300 odd BHP like all the best jap

4wd's but (and its a BIG BUT) they weigh 1750KG's odd and the 4wd System is awful sapping a good 20% of the flywheel BHP, basicaly you have 300bhp at the fly, which by the time it reaches the wheels is 240bhp, even power to weight worked out on the 300bhp figure is only 171bhp/tonne. 0-60 is only quick'ish because of grip available, after 70mph they feel very slow. Gearboxes tend to explode every other Tuesday and clutches on most Thursdays. Utter s**te and if you buy an old one thats been 'used' it'll cost. Oh and the interiors are s**te and you need a medallion and a chest wig should you buy a red one.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

So you didn't like it then? ;-)

Not sure I'm worried at all about the speed, I'm certain it'll be more than enough for every day use - it might not be a supercar but it's still pretty quick compared to most stuff on the roads. More worried about the gearbox/clutch issue you mentioned - is it a well known failure point on these? What are the problems with the interior? Wouldn't buy a red one, would have to be black or silver probably (the one I've currently got my eye on is silver).

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
<a>

Well I'm more partial to modern British sports cars and older Saabs - but for two grand (trade in to mates dealership) I wasn't going to turn it down as it looked like reasonable fun. Gearbox went bang at Bruntingthorpe - understandable you may think but I'd only done one and a half laps!! Put a clutch in it and bolted a second hand box on (that was fun to get hold of at anywhere near reasonable money), lunched the next clutch within 2000 miles - clutch to small for the weight of the car and grip available. Clutch job isn't easy either. I flogged it on in the local paper for 3 grand and was glad to be rid of it.

Interiors are usual jap dross, cheap rattley plastics and rubbish ergonomics.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

No medallions in my cars! I'm trying to get my "midlife crisis" cars out of the way while I'm young and can pull them off without looking too dumb. Wasn't aware the GTO had such a medallion man image problem...

Reply to
<a>

Plus the weight of all the medallions the drivers wear...

Reply to
Lordy

Built for smaller people. Everything has its own label, rather than a picture.

Reply to
DervMan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@tamate.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

He owns a pontiac, he will be used to plastic.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

It was intended to be a Japanese Ferrari, before the NSX came along and showed them what a real Japanese Ferrari should be like.

Americans like them, but then they like the Firebird too.

But as it happens I'm with you on this. If I had the money to fuel one, just for once I would have to own an XJS, a Firebird, or a GTO/GT3k.

Yes, I was a child in the 70's and did my growing up in the eighties, I guess I must have a medallion in the closet somewhere too.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Amen.

Reply to
<a>

They seem to be quite common weak spots on most 4wd Jap stuff, I remember the Imprezza ate clutches like smarties. Then again Skyline ones seem to take quite a bit of abuse is the owners I know are anything to go by.

Reply to
Depresion

But Pulsar GTiR's eat clutches like allbran.

I've known one or two people who go through about 3 a year driving normally because the car is modded.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

WRX drivelines are as weak as piss. Most 4wd jap cars have pretty weak drivelines with the exception of Skylines and Evo Lancers.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston