MR - 08 Fiesta Zetec

Foglight and associated are being replaced finally, and I have an Enterprise rental car for the next few days - an 08 plate black Fiesta Zetec. It's way not as nice as the Clio inside, it's very bland and boring and has a couple of annoying intermittent rattles as well. It all looks a lot cheaper than mine, and the glovebox and stuff feels a lot less well screwed together as well. So, I guess that's just cos it's a cheap Fiesta vs a top model Clio, but it does also show that Renault have indeed upped their game with their new models - fit and finish wise.

Obviously it's a lot slower and handles a lot worse than mine - but again it is only a little engined Zetec model so it's not a fair comparison. The seats are pretty comfy - not much good at holding you in but very super soft, which is quite nice.

Not much else to say really, although Mum loves it. I didn't actually ask what engine it had, well, Mum didn't as she picked it up for me heh, and on returning she said it was a Zetec, and I said it was probably the standard

1.25 but she was convinced it was a bigger engine than that. I've only driven it round the village so it's hard to tell really, and also being used to mine it just felt slow. But as Mum is used to the 1.0 Arosa she's probably in a slightly better position to judge it. I still think it's only a 1.25 and the problem is the massive shitness of the Arosa making her think a 1.2 can't be nippy because her 1.0 is just not, at all. People who bought Polos with this engine must have been so very high and had so little interest in driving, I'm surprised they didn't just buy a bus pass instead.

I know it's customary to have opinions on cars you've driven around here - but I have to admit that having driven the Fiesta, I don't really like it. It'd be fine for people who just want to tootle around slowly, which is who it's aimed at of course, but it's not for me. Can quite see Mum buying one though - she's using it instead of the Arosa to go to work and stuff cos she loves it haha!

Reply to
DanB

I would hardly call Renaults " well put together". Sneeze in one and something drops off!

Reply to
Slider

I pondered with the idea of getting a Fester but am glad I went with the Mondeo judging by that.

Reply to
Conor

I'd agree of the older ones, like the V6 I had before hand. But that wasn't built by Renault. The newer Renaults these days are much better built than they used to be and even my friends lower spec 1.2 Turbo Dynamique Clio feels a lot more sturdy and well built than her previous 2005 1.2 Clio Extreme. I suppose another factor here is that the Renault Sport models are built at Dieppe in the RS factory and they've always been better made than the others in their range.

Reply to
DanB

Mind you, the current and pre-facelift Festers are horribly plasticy heaps of badly screwed together shit. So Renault wouldn't have had to try *too* hard to make something that was better built.

The only cars I've looked at recently that are as tacky inside as the Fester are the Chrysler Sebring and its Dodge Avenger twin.

Reply to
SteveH

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad car - it's perfectly acceptable for who and what it was designed for - it's just not what I like in a car, it had no real sporty ness to it. Which is fine for a lot of people, my Mum for example heh. I've driven the ST and I didn't rate that - it was meant to be a hot hatch - but it was slow, the seats were worse than in this Zetec, the engine was noisy and harsh, it didn't like being revved and the interior was just the same as this low spec one I have here. Also, quite bad on fuel, worse than the 197 which has a 50bhp advantage on it heh.

Reply to
DanB

Must admit I was surprised how bad it was to be honest, I assumed it would be like the aforementioned Clio 1.2T but it wasn't half as nice as that even. Although that Clio is so nice inside, it's what made me want a new car after the abomination of the Vee's 1980s Datsun dash hehe!

Reply to
DanB

i quite like the ST's despite there faults they are a bit of a giggle, just they could of so put a better lump into it! like the ST220 lump from the mondeo :) i'm not really a fan of the new clio, but then again i don't like many small cars really, the Corsa VXR looks ok but things like the clio and peugeot 207 look a bit odd and i won't even start on mitsi's colt! that's to tall for a small car!

Reply to
Vamp

Well it's just a shame that laughable Focus ST170 was there and they didn't want the Fiesta trumping it, despite it being a pile of shit. Ok, that

170bhp engine was just as s**te as the ST 150, but at least it was closer to the competition. If it had had that and had made made to rev willingly without the harsh thrashyness of it sounding like anything over 4krpm will cause it to explode.

I've posted pics of my mates Corsa VXR before of course - that's a nice car, exactly the same performance as my 197 and Vee heh. The Vee was, on reflection, the exact same speed as the 197 heh. Despite been smaller, much worse handling, only 2 seats and no boot, less gubbins (be it safety/comfort/audio/whatever) and allegedly having 30 more bhp and 60 more lbs/ft. Unfortunately it was over 100kg heavier, had stupidly long gearing, and they rarely crack 220bhp on the rollers.

Don't get me wrong, I loved owning it - the pose value alone was worth it heh - and it's a great thing to say you've owned (and not crashed ;-) ) - but it's really nice to get, to some extents 'back', into something that's fun to drive. And whilst the 206 was chuckable fun, but nippy rather than quick, the R27 is chuckable and quick enough to hold it's own, even 'in gear' against a remapped Passat TDi ;-), against most stuff, especially if some corners are thrown into the mix.

Reply to
DanB