MX5 HKS turbo charged...questions.

Hi MX5'ers

Currently looking at a 1992 MX5 1600cc. Its a friends car and I'm new to the MX5 so would like to ask a few questions. The car currently has a HKS T25 turbo kit but nothing else such as intercooler. Engine block and head is completely OE with no modifications whatsoever. I might get an intercooler installed on the car with a boost controller and stronger brakes but apart from that no more.

I would like to ask a few questions regarding the engine and gearbox of the MX5. The car in question has 3 previous owners but my friend knows them all.

Questions:

1) The gearbox still feels tight as its only covered 15,000miles, true or not hard to say. It's a 1992 model so any known faults from this year or common problems that need attention? The car will only be used for weekends as a fun car and project car for power.

2)Well maybe get new suspension too but which brand and type is best for the MX5? I am looking for a firm yet comfortable ride without ruining the car's excellent handling?

3)What kind of repairs or servicing would I be expected to carry out on such year ? All fluids and such will be changed and brakes checked for function.

4)Considering completely respraying the car so how hard is it to strip down for a good spray job?

5)Whats the max turbo boost one can use from only a T25 installed?

Thats all I can think of the time being but if I have left anything out please kindly list. Appreciate all replies and help and who knows I might have the car very soon if all goes well.

Thanks and appreicate all replies.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

i suggest doing a google search for one of the many MX5 clubs and asking in there forums as you'd get a huge responce from a lot of owners with turbo'd MX5's they should be able to help as they was very helpful for me when i was looking into MX5 turbo's before i got my MR2 turbo.

Reply to
Vamp

I'd leave it as it is. MX-5s have an excellent reputation as standard. All you can do, is make it less comfortable. If you really want to change it, then fit the kit from a higher-spec MX-5 (ie, the Bilstein stuff from the

1.8 Sport).

Follow the manufacturer's service schedule. Divide the oil-change intervals by four (ie, every 3,000 miles instead of every 12,000 miles). Fuel-filter, air-filter, spark-plugs etc. just do as the manufacturer recommends (every 1 to 2 years I imagine).

Not hard at all, but it'll take you a long time. All you need is a Haynes manual. Just pull off all the trim bit by bit, and voila. The Haynes is very handy to show you where the clips etc. are (unless you have x-ray vision :)

Somewhere around 1bar/15psi ish.

But you won't be able to get anywhere near that figure before the engine and/or gearbox break. If you're considering running as much boost as the Turbo can supply, then you're gonna need to uprate things. Your current mechanicals aren't designed for the extra torque.

I'm assuming it's a low-blow 6-8psi setup at the moment ?

Reply to
Nom

the HKS turbo is the aftermarket kit i presume, not the factory BBR turbo, I have been told that a lot of the aftermarket kits on early

1.6's are crude and badly set up...
Reply to
Theo

?
?
?
? There are gillions of em !

Thought so. You can't really go any higher on stock-internals. Things will break :)

Reply to
Nom