My recent mod'ing

Is back on the road!! WOOOO HOOOO

After muchos swearing, now sporting a nice set of SUs, and running very well indeed...

Bring the noise!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Lovely!

Reply to
Abo

- and lower the performance by all the hot air from the engine bay being sucked through those crap things claiming to be filters. They do not filter much muck and dirt out of the air, so damage many engines, especially those with a turbo. Paper filters are far better and filter far better without restricting the amount of air your engine actually requires. I wish people would learn about filtration. The oil on a K&N also damages MAFs which are expensive on some cars. It will fail an MOT if that vent device is spotted, standby for the smell of fumes.

Reply to
Rob

The standard filter sits on top of the engine in a metal tin and clearly the carbs are over the top of the exhaust manifolds. TBH it's probably no worse. At some point I will wrap the manifolds to help with this anyway. Plus now the cars running I will get the cold air feeds fitted properly.

And I've never heard of any problems with K&Ns not filtering the air properly. And I don't think there's much chance of my MAF being damaged.

Why exactly will it fail an MoT?

And finally, it's my car, I like it, so please do f*ck off.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

If they're K&N's they look like they're overdue a good clean. Is the fuel filter fixed in place? Be careful it doesn't wear through if it's rubbing on the rocker cover.

Reply to
Homer

Not necessarily. I cleaned mine recently and it didn't come back up red. And yes, it was the pukka cleaning kit. Got a shitload of fine grit out of it though so it was doing it's job. I think that once they go black, they stay black.

Reply to
Conor

Nothing wrong with K&N filters at all. When I've cleaned the ones I've used, they certainley appear to be filtering correctly.

IF they are mounted to close to a MAF after being freshly oiled, the oil can get on the MAF element and cause problems, but only if you're stupid..... and have a MAF to damage

It won't. My mates commer Camper *ugh* didn't last week, and that just has a plastic pipe coming off the breather venting to atmosphere..

too right, looks bloody nice too :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

MAF - SUs

Nah....

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Yep, although they look a bit worse for wear I gave them a bloody good clean with the proper K&N kit last week and removed lots of crap. Might invest in some new ones at a later date, but for now they do the job!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

See reply to Conor - should be fine.

I modified the Stromberg filter mount so I could attach it to the SU, so yeah it's fixed in place. It may be bodged, but it's bodged safely ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

What do you reckon it might do to his catalytic converter?

Reply to
Elder

It'll obviously confuse the engine management ecu, the coil packs could have issues, it might f*ck up the lambda sensors, etc. I'd recommend Carl getting his Rover plugged into an OBDII reader to see if the injectors are having issues, read the fault codes, etc.

Or maybe he'll be fine....

Reply to
Pete M

Shssssssh, I wanted to see what the TiscaliTosspot (or his latest c*ck in a sock) would suggest.

Reply to
Elder

"Rob" wrote in news:fv35rh$knu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

What the f*ck are you injecting?

Reply to
Tunku

Hmmm, the fuel seems to be draining out of the system (none in the fuel filter) making it a pain to start. Not helped by the fact the battery is shagged though meaning I was using a wee one from a 205. Any ideas?

And bugger me, batteries for a V8 are expensive :(

But fitted my new steering wheel today, and am quite pleased with it:

Carl Gibbs