My reputation as a safe and careful driver is totally shot.

Managed to spin 270 degrees setting up to exit a roundabout at about 15-

20mph.

Must have been diesel as my tyres are all still decent, but it felt like I had just stepped onto sheet ice, the front went a bit light, then trc went mental as I pirouetted gracefully round avoiding all sorts of cars, cheap and not so, and ended up facing the wrong way, almost sideways on, on a high planted roundabout, so no-one coming round could see me waiting for them.

Had to wait the best part of 5 minutes before someone helped me out by stopping and putting their hazards on, instead of just going round me slowly and blocking my possible exit routes.

And no, I'm not posting this in uk.rec.driving so the sanctimonious IAM crowd can crow.

Reply to
Elder

Unless loads of people were spinning wildly and you only spun a little, it was your fault and you're a crap driver.

Ha! What you should have done was use more throttle and turn your rather effeminate 270 into a 360 and carried merrily on your way.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I was more interested in getting off the roundabout before a bus came round, and not putting it through the sandwich shop window. Which would have been a bit trickier to explain when I got back to the office.

Reply to
Elder

"Spun wildly off a roundabout into the sandwich shop trying to do a full

360." is a pretty convincing excuse.

Much more interesting than "Failed to do a 360 and had to wait for 5 minutes while people drove round me." anyway.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Diesel and rain don't go well together. Some years back I was driving into Chippenham, where I worked at the time, I noticed the area reeked of diesel and the roads were wet. I slowed and was coming upto a roundabout but the brakes locked up all too easily, no ABS, luckily no one was coming round the roundabout too near me and I managed to get it round OK but the reduction in grip was amazing. A few minutes later I called the local police as I thought it was worth notifying them and the person I spoke to didn't seem concerned in the slightest.

Reply to
David Billington

I wrote off an Integrale on diesel.....

I'm so tempted to x-post this...

Reply to
Pete M

ach go on...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

At least I didn't smash up a wheel and wishbone on the kerb like a previous poster of this parish who seems to have gone into stasis.

Reply to
Elder

This is why I always say you need to adjust your driving to match the conditions of the road and weather! I have a roundabout by me which in dry weather can be taken at 30mph no trouble. If there is a slightest bit of rain the car will slide at 20mph. My tyres are in perfect condition and set to the correct pressures and checked once a week. I have seen many others do the same thing. It is often the poor rod surface or incorrect type of surface. I see it a lot on country roads that have been resurfaced, people just slide off! That causes the speed limit to be lowered when there is no need. So I would say it has nothing to do with your driving, it is probably the road surface at the time. Call the Highways Agency to report it and try going around again when there is no one about. I am a safe driver, but yesterday nearly killed a school child, so things like that can be a shock. He was with a group of friends and one of them pushed him - right in to the road infront of me. It's a good job I have fast reactions and the car behind was not sitting in my boot. It was a complete accident, but always expect the unexpected! Stuff the IAM drivers!

Reply to
David Perry

Who was that?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Didn't Vamp do something similar in one of the MR2s?

Reply to
Elder

Ah yes, he certainly did. Don't think he just 'mounted a kerb', it was more of a 'all 4 wheels on the central reservation' from memory.

Do you think he's finally discovered women?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Though presumably you were going at an appropriate speed for the conditions and surroundings, i.e. a fair bit slower than if there was nobody about, as a result of a load of schoolkids larking about on the pavement? That'd help quite a bit in your ability to stop.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I was nowhere to be seen!

There is a particular roundabout along the A162 that often has diesel spilt on it. It collects on the inside (closest to the centre) of the roundabout, which is a great way of catching out those people who are taking a flier at the roundabout by cutting the corner.

Reply to
DervMan