Nearly tapped again

You know this afternoon I detailed to another URCM member the delights of wearing the shoulders off Kermy's rear tyres. Anyway just for a laugh I decided I'd increase my tyre pressures to 35 PSI to compare notes.

Tim Kemp, what's the A-Class like on 35s all around?

Ours is a "bit skitterish" *cough*.

Skitterish as in, two dozy duffers in a silver 5-series pulls on to the gloriously wide slip road that goes from the A162 to the A64 this evening at the heady pace of 36 mph...

...I decided, pah he's sticking to the inside edge of the corner, I'll zip around the outside and be done with it. Down into third, off we go, hmm, think I'll lift off a little.... rrrrrrrk! Kinda big nasty rear endy slide, not unlike the time when I swapped the perfectly secure rear tyres with the cheapo Chinese front tyres, so we had a grippy front end and greased slicks at the back. ;)

Hindsight being a wonderful thing I probably should have banged on the brakes or crashed it, because instead banging on the power* just made the slide gradually fade out and us nip onto the dual carriageway.

Aforementioned duffers twigged that I was a bad boy or something so proceeded to flash his headlights at me. Then I spotted that the BMW had a funky camera type thing on the dashboard. I should have spotted that sooner, slap me, oooh slap me. Anyway, car pulled up next to me, officer closest looked over and shook his head, wagged his finger and they accelerated away...

Heh. Phew. Type thing. In fairness my police contact tells me they won't stop me unless they're wearing uniform or I do something really stupid...

*Power in the Ka sense, so not much really.
Reply to
DervMan

LOL, good move!

I'm finding the Swift to be quite amusing in this repect. Now I've got some grippy-ish and low-ish profile tyres I can build up enough speed on the roundabouts to get enough force to bring the backend out if I lift off, most amusing :) On the steelies I just got a lot of understeer before the backend would even consider coming round. Doing an event in it on Thursday, that should be fun!!

However, I'm looking forward to picking up the Volvo, need some RWD-ness in my life!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It's an A class. It's /always/ skitterish. It handle like crap on the limit.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

get something RWD and go sideways properly you big girls!

you sure the wagging finger wasn't for being male and driving a girls car? :)

Reply to
Vamp

Listen to him Derv. After all, he is an expert in this regard... :p

Reply to
Lordy.UK

a MK2 MR2 turbo isn't for girls! that's what the puffy uk NA model was for :)

Reply to
Vamp

Actually the Swift is more tail happy than the MR2 (in the dry at least) at sensible speeds.

I've got big plans for the Volvo though (well not that big, but it should be a luagh by the time I've finished)

LOL, says the guy with an MR2, who's been looking at MX5s :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

That's it, you keep telling yourself that ;)

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

I shall have to video Police, Camera, Action next time then and see what Lurid Tales the producers can invent for that section of footage... "Drug dealers in a stolen Ka, the driver got an extra two years for attempting to ram the pursuit car off the road..."

35 is probably too high a pressure for the weight / tyre combination, but then I guess you're ahead of me there... ;)
Reply to
Questions

No you're right, the turbo model is reserved for laydeees, isn't it?

Reply to
DervMan

So I'm not the only one to spot inconcistencies in the stories? :)

Hehehe!

Reply to
DervMan

As an aside, running 35s all around in the wet is, hmm, interesting.

Reply to
DervMan

nearly as bad as the americans "look! he's doing 65 on the motorway and the psoted limit is 55! He's not going to get away from the highly skilled police persuit driver, who has several minutes worth of advanced training under his belt!"

Reply to
dojj

That's something of a long shot there... :)

A tad obvious. :)

Reply to
Questions

Yes, yes indeed it was, but the point wasn't that it would, just how quickly it would...

Reply to
DervMan