Need more Oomph

This 928 GTS I have... well it drives fine but it starts to miss power.

Not that the power is down from standard but I seem to run into the same bunch of Germans with rather high spec cars on my trips to Munich. They drive M6, a Brabus E-estate, a 911 Turbo which throws a lot of flames and a Murcielago.

Even when cruising (240 kph) they fly by. Can't keep up and at 260-270 the standard engine of my 928 starts to reach its limits.

Problem is that the 928 is a very nice long distance cruiser, it does the 880 km Brussel-Munich in about 4 Hr. I like the car, it feels as composed the day I bought it and as to comfort; after the trip I am fine where I was slightly broken when I did it in a 911 Turbo the dealer lend me.

Been searching for an engine-upgrade and found 2 companies in the US ( Devek and 928 Developments). They enlarge the engine from 5.4l to 6.0 or 6.4l, put some extra bits on it, claim 500 HP at the wheels while being unbustable.

Me quite interested but shipping a car to California is not that easy, takes a lot of time and effort. Shipping it back is a similar pain in the ass.

Now my question: does somebody perform this kind of work in the UK? Ideally I would want somebody with a proven/provable record, maybe some experiance with the 928. If he want to buy the stroker crank himself, fine for me, I can also supply the stuff. Budget (US, installation included) is 25000 US $ or about 17 kUP (and the excuse to go back to the UK of course)

Superchargers have been suggested but I want to keep the 928 till I die, so I quess that atmosferic and the biggest engine is the way to go.

Thx in advance

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

What you need is a K&N57i, an electric supercharger and a couple of tuning resistors.

Reply to
Madge O'Reene

What do you think you are doing asking on here about making your car go faster? You will be getting the standard responses about just buy a faster car and Rob saying it should be on BarryBoys. If it was my car I'd be looking at forced induction so you can keep your piston speeds down. Was the 928 the Porsche with the chocolate cylinder liners? A decent sized Eaton will give a progressive boost curve and a nice smooth power delivery.

Reply to
Depresion

Surbo

Reply to
Abo

Abo

Drop a blown chev LS1 in it. 1/2 the price and one of the most reliable ways to get 500 unstressed horsepower. Of course it won't have Porsche written on the block any more. Otherwise twin turbo the Porsche lump.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Panel the bottom of the car and pull off any exterior protrusions you don't need. TBH I'd expect any competent engine rebuilder to be able to do the work.

Reply to
Doki

Can you buy the bits in from the US and do it that way? Getting a man over here to sort the sticking it all together parts? Or maybe just ship them your block?

Reply to
DanTXD

No German companies doing suitable stuff? I'd be slightly surprised if there weren't.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Thanks so much for this advice. Will it help if I chop off its roof in order to lower air resistance?

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Well , there is this possibility that some-one in the group might know people who do these kinds of things for a living.

I saw a Jeremy Clarkson video a while ago where he bought a Rover and let it tune. Raced it against a Nova IIRC. I suppose if there are people in the UK who can make out of a 3.5 l Rover engine a 5.2 l Rover engine, that they might been able

I agree with your supercharger logic but there is the fact that I live in Belgium. I will have to pass MOT with the car and even while they are not that clever, a supercharger will be as spotable as a gigolo in a harem.

Another thing on superchargers: the power you need to drive it, is huge. I've done some math and at 6000 RPM it needs about 150 HP crank. This means that for

500 rear wheel horses and an estimated transmission loss of 20%, the engine must deliver 750 HP at the crankshaft. That becomes a lot.

Last point against the supercharger is the available space: while the bonnet on the 928 is long, the engine below ain't small either. It has been done but I haven't actually seen nor driven one. The atmosferic engine however needs identical space at the actual one.

On the chocolate stuff: I don't think so but I could be wrong.

Thx for your reply.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Aye, but there's a but. Rover made them up to 4.9l or so, and TVR manufactured stroker cranks for them. I don't think tuners of RV8s have had to do major R&D on increasing the capacity of the engine.

Reply to
Doki

Errr, no. A chevy engine is made for a Chevy, not to mention that where I live that conversation is not legal for streetdriven cars.

For the turbo route there is no space available.

Own experiance with turbo's is they are very nice to drive but that they tend not to live long. I can put up with engine rebuild of the Cossie every 10000 km but not with an engine rebuild every 10000 km for the Porsche.

On the other hand: if the 928 could have the same power increase than the Cossie it would have around 800 HP, which would ne nice for sure. Even more sure is that very expensif bits would blow up in a matter of minutes.

The car is used twice a month for a trip of 880 km one way and 880 km back. I want reliability and I want that I have to fill up but once for 880 km(85 liters in 1 tank).

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

What the f*ck are you allowed to do over there? No wonder you like it here :D.

Reply to
Doki

Haven't found them. They only German things for the 928 I 've found are Godzilla bodykits, wings and bits which do their best to make the car slower.

As to their strength above 250 kph I have my doubts.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Yes ,that's possible.

That they don't like.

Possible but not very practical. That would mean that the car is a minmum of 6 months without an engine. And about a year of the road.

There is also the matter of responsility: I want one person in charge. I hate discussions on responsability where in a group of 5 everybody points his finger to the bloke next to him.

The estimation of 25000 US$ for the engine tuning combined with the car itself is something I prefer to handle as straight as possible.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Ah yes they are a bit analy retentive over there I here when it comes to engine modifications. To be honest a rebuild with a stroker crank and an over bore isn't exactly rocket science so long as the parts are of good quality.

Reply to
Depresion

Well, the answer is fairly straightforward.

Nothing is allowed on the exception that I am forced to pay a road tax *each year* for the 928 of about 1500 UKP... (in Belgium you are taxed of engine power and engine displacement). When you buy a car with a big engine you are friendly advised to cough up some 3200 UKP just because it has a big engine.

Exemple of Belgian tolerance to tuning: years ago a friend of mine had a Porsche 911 with the most hideous -but standard- steering wheel one could imagine. He ordered a Nardi steering wheel and because he doesn't know the right way to hold a hammer, I have put it in.

The car was refused MOT on the account of the steering wheel a month later.

And indeed: freedom is something I appreciate.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Cripes. No wonder all the F1 teams are based here. I reckon a good proportion if not all of the top level mechanics and designers learnt by tinkering on their own cars.

Not for long matey. ID cards are coming.

Reply to
Doki

Or not, apparently they won't be ready on time. *Fakes shocked face*.

Reply to
Depresion