Reply to
SteveH

That's your lot behind that, innit?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Yes.

Reply to
SteveH

Well I was thinking "Jackson", rather than anything else. WTF is Colin other than my bro. that is?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Jings two legs of "The Loomies Trio" involved and I don't have a clue what you're on about.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's French for Hake, apparently, and it's what my lot have started to call pre-pack Pollock - because people are, allegedly, too embarassed to ask for Pollock.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh FFS.

Mind you I can see how it might be necessary for (some of) your generation. My wife's been doing her usual reaction to a recession - batten down the hatches even when you don't need to. At the same time my daughter's family are seriously down on income because people aren't paying for advertising at the moment. So wwifey decided to teach daughter how to cook cheaply by eating the foods that most people turn their noses up at. So it has been how ot press tongue, how to de-salt and roast bacon, basic butchery to make best use of cheap cuts, reciped for ox-tail and offal etc.

Daughter has turned her nose up at everything, especially tongue. I reckon if we called it "steak" she'd have no problem with it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Even though 'the credit crunch' briefly visited the H household, but soon pissed off again, I'm a very big fan of cheaper cuts of meat.

Pork belly and beef shin being two of my favourites. For a midweek meal, you can't go wrong with lamb's liver - which is stupidly cheap.

If you want fish, then Mackerel are bargain-tastic all the time. (We had

2 filleted and pan-fried tonight).
Reply to
SteveH

Agreed, and the cheaper cuts tend to be tastier. Ox tail has much more flavour than steak, for example. Mutton more flavour than lamb. The Italians seem to appreciate this, my neigbour makes me mutton stew when I visit her, it's delicious.

Even cheaper if you catch them yourself, and you don't need to be much of an angler. A darrow and aluminium foil or bacon seems to bring them in by the score.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If I could be bothered to retrieve my sea fishing kit from the in-law's place, I might have been tempted to give it a go, although it's nowhere near as convenient as it was when I lived in Swansea.

To be honest, though, at less than a quid for the average sized fish, it's barely worth the effort, IMHO - and the ones we sell are landed the day before they're on sale - so you can't get much fresher.

One thing I do miss about sea fishing is Dog Fish (Rock Salmon) - tricky buggers to get off the hook and kill, but oh so tasty when cut into steaks and pan fried.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm trying to get the missus to eat liver. I love it, she has never had it but won't touch it, but she adores haggis.

And, neck of lamb and oxtail are no problem to her. Cooked slow, cheap cuts are fabulous.

Reply to
Elder

I use lamb neck, or mutton if I can get it and make a flaming hot curry goat (goat, lamb, hoggit and mutton are pretty much same at the neck).

Reply to
Elder

My dad and mates used to hire a boat, load up with beer and whisky and just throw a line over, and pull it back.

They ended up very drunk, and with more bags of fish than they could each carry, they went into the freezer and we ate well.

Hot smoked, or marinaded in teryaki and grilled mackerel is stunning. I really need to build my own hot smoker.

Reply to
Elder

It doesn't need much for hot smoking. We used to have a Norwegian fish smoker. It's just a long aluminium pan with a close fitting lid. Fill the bottom with wood shavings and place the fish on a grid just above the wood. Then the whole thing gets heated - it works best in a Weber barbecue in my experience.

I think it was called "Henry's Fiskrok"

Bloody hell, there's one for sale in Oz.

Steve Firth

Looking at that, I reckon a biscuit tin, a grid, some wire mesh and some moist wood chips in the hot oven might work well.

Reply to
Elder

Only if it is someone elses hot oven. Don't do it inside in your own oven, ever.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Might try it on the BBQ, we converted what was a back filled bricked up outside loo. bricked up the door halfway, backfilled with hardcore (the drain was already decomissioned), 3 layers of brick on top followed by

4" thick concrete to give a smooth solid top. We made a small chimney out through the roof tiles to avoid getting smoked out when cooking. Ideally a heavy iron door to use when smoking would be best, but a tin pan smoker would be easier for the small items I would do.
Reply to
Elder

Looks like a mess tin with a trivet in it to me...

Reply to
Doki