New car opinions

Who, in their right mind, specifies that they want to hire a 1.6 automatic?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I didn't.

It was all they had.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh well, as you know, or should know, all 1.6 autos are s**te. So any complaints about the Focus auto being are just in the "So what? They all are." category. Complaints about list likewise since I've never known anyone pay list for a Ford. Complaints about the seating position, damn silly IMO, it's comfortable, decent for people with bad backs and gives a good view of the road ahead.

You haven't commented on the handling AFAIR, which is IMO way ahead of the VAG products, which are simply s**te in that department.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It would help if the 1.6 engine had more than 99bhp, though. And a DSG-type box, rather than a slushomatic.

But list prices are the only valid comparison.

However, big up-front discounts only hurt residuals anyway.

It's not comfortable - the seats are too hard and if you want to see the end of the bonnet and are around average height, you need to jack the seat up so high you have to sit uncomforably close to the wheel if you want to reach the pedals. No lumbar support on the seat, either - which is shocking for something that's allegedly top of the range.

I have:

'It actually has fairly decent ride quality, but doesn't appear to have anything that could be remotely called 'handling'.'

HTH.

The problem with the handling is that the steering is under-assisted whilst also not communicating anything that's going on at the front wheels. It also terminally understeered at stupidly low speeds.

Overall, a shocking car, especially when you consider how much money Ford want for them.

Reply to
SteveH

Hummm... I guess my Passat must have been a one off then.

Handled brilliantly, wet or dry.

Reply to
JackH

This is an office full of petrol heads, with most owning Beemers/Audis/Porkers and even one Ferrari owner. The collective opinon is that you're wrong[1] everyone reckons the Focus is a vice-free car that's a hoot to drive.

[1] Actually "wrong" doesn't quite summarise the Anglo-Saxon laced expletive filled description used.
Reply to
Steve Firth

I suspect a case of the Emperor's New Clothes here....

(If people read often enough that the Focus is good, they'll drive it and belive it is, without actually realising it's a heap of over priced and underspecced s**te)

Reply to
SteveH

You may "suspect" what you like.

Umm hmm and if people are solidly enough wedded to their German and Italian crap they develop cellar palate and think that anything that is different is crap.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Whilst there is a certain degree of brand worshipping that goes on, it's not the exclusive reason why some people favour a certain car over another.

I've been given the news the Passat is no more this morning, so I'm now looking into what do I do for a replacement.

I wouldn't mind a change as it goes, hence why I'm going to take another look at last shape Mondeos, not least because they're that much cheaper for something that much newer.

However... I've read enough on them to note they're not exactly reliable, and I do specifically want another diesel, meaning I'd be buying into something with inherent dual mass flywheel issues, if I did get one.

And then there's the generally cheap trim and the fact, unless I tried a particularly bad one, they're not all that to drive and certainly not something I felt was better than the Passat.

So anyway... if I don't get another Passat, what else is worth looking at for around £6k at forecourt prices that's comparable, that'll be as reliable (not least if mapped), comfortable and reasonable on parts / servicing?

I wouldn't mind an estate or hatch rather than a saloon this time.

I'm not doing any Vauxhalls, although the Astra CDTi 150 appeals but not too sure I'd get one for around £6k.

I'm not keen on Mondeos given what I found with that last one.

I'm not keen on any of the Alfas / Mercs etc, that would be around this money.

Audis A4 / A6 models definitely appeal but they're bucking the current trend and still holding their money according to the trader I got the Passat off of.

He's got a mint low mileage 04 plate Passat 1.9TDI 130 Highline with full leather in at the moment as it goes, but I'm not keen to move away from the Sport wheel / suspension package. That, and anything other than the Sport in the B5.5 range has a five, rather than six, speed 'box.

The other option is to weigh my mate out for this 306 Meridian HDI and just use that for now... but nice as it is, it's not really what I'm looking for.

Reply to
JackH

"JackH" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's future-prediction time...

Do you think that A4s/A6s will continue to hold their value over the next

6 months or so? If not, how about smoking the 306 over the winter, then getting the Audi you want now but isn't yet within budget?

Alternative suggestion - Saab 9-3. A quick rummage on AutoTrader suggests that £6k would gets you a decent-spec 05/55/06 diesel, with the 150bhp

1.9 Fiat donk & 6spd box.
Reply to
Adrian

For that kind of money you can get the Alfa engine in an Alfa - which is a much better car to drive.

Reply to
SteveH

And I'd want neither.

Reply to
JackH

That's a possibility - can't see the 306 depreciating that much in six months given it's only worth £1500 as it is.

Not for me - not keen on Saabs full stop unfortunately.

I was however wondering if a Honda Accord 2.2 CTDI might be worth a punt... although they apparently drink loads of oil (engine, not diesel).

Reply to
JackH

They do. Even more than an Alfa TS. Which isn't a good thing when there's a turbo involved.

Now, I know you would check the oil and stuff regularly - but can you say that the previous company owner has?

Reply to
SteveH

Or just say "f*ck it" and get a Daimler Super V8? You could get a decent one for £6-7k and it would put a bloody big grin on your face.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Along those lines....

I'm sure a Jag S-Type TDV6 SE wouldn't be much beyond that budget these days.

Reply to
SteveH

"JackH" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Do I recall, from earlier in the thread...?

Might as well have a look at one, no?

Reply to
Adrian

LOL... I keep looking at whatever model big Jag saloon it is that came out in the mid 90s, and thinking 'f*ck me, that's a lot of car for the money'.

Reply to
JackH

I've read good things about the 150bhp donk.

The point being, mapped in something relatively compact like the Astra, it might be quite a hoot.

Whatever I buy, if anything, it won't be anything with a DPF.

I've looked at them driving around - I don't like the 9-3 / 9-5 styling at all.

Reply to
JackH

"JackH" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ah. Sorry, I must have misunderstood - I thought you said you wanted a

Reply to
Adrian