New tyres

Hi, Looking for recomendations for a tyre that works well in the wet as well as dry roads. Currently got some Yokohama A005's which are great in the dry but they don't seem to have any grip on wet roundabouts and the Nova seems to aquaplane a lot.

Ta Dave.

Reply to
David

Federals :)

-- Chet

Chet

here we go again.....

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.non spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Have a look at BF Goodrich tourings if you need a smaller 13/14/15 inch Or BF Goodrich Profiler for larger sizes.

I had touring on the lowered, stiffened Estelle, and it cornered like a gocart wet or dry.

Or Toyo Proxes If you want good, cheapish, larger tyres.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Uniroyal Rally 680s work well on my car. Pretty much as good grip in the pissing rain as in the dry. They're 165/65/13s though. Might be handy if you said what size you want :P.

Reply to
Doki

Pirelli P6000. Accept no substitutes ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Hankook Ventus sport :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.non spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I've got V rated Avon ZV1's on the Saab ATM. Not a bad tyre. Quite quiet, lasted well so far.

Seem to grip better in the wet than dry, but hang on OK, in the dry, although I don't really push it right to the cars max, just below mine.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s are "the daddies".

Reply to
Dave

I've got these on the front of the astra. For ultimate dry gip you can get better tyres, but these are very predicatable and similar in wet or dry. You get some warning as you reach the limit of grip (a nice subdued squeal), and loss of grip happens very progressively, not suddenly. They seem to grip well even with my "fuel economy" tyre pressures :o

When I bought the astra it had Firestone Firehawk's. I cacked myself the first time I drove the car in the wet, and immediatly went to see my mate at ford rapid fit. He recommended Pirelli, so it was done.

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy

The nice thing about Pirelli P6000s is that they offer almost as much outright grip as Yoko A539s (Or were they 439s, could even have been

509s coming to think of it) - but the Yokos need a lot of warming up to perform at their best, and are pretty dismal on cold, damp days.

I've yet to find a better balanced all-rounder.

Reply to
SteveH

Do they come in 200/580-15's like the Yokohama's?

Reply to
David

Do they come in 200/580-15's like the Yokohama's?

Reply to
David

Eh? Don't recognise that size?

What is it? 200/40-15 or something?

Reply to
SteveH

I don't understand your size (typo?), but if you know what they are check out the manufacturer's website,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Have a look here....

I'd be interested to know what others think of the reviews here as I think I'll base my next buying decision on the information here. Are there any other tyre review websites that make it so easy to compare tyre performance?

These guys seem pretty cheap for mail order tyres too....

Again, any comments welcome:-) Cheers, Tim.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

What's on the side of the tyre is Yokohama A005, 200/580-15.

Reply to
David

Ahhh. That's some sort of track tyre, then.

No wonder you're having problems with them. You'll _never_ get them up to temperature - especially in the wet.

You need to know what the conventional tyre size is.

eg. mine are 195/60-14

But I'll still recommend P6000s.

Reply to
SteveH

Seconded. Get out your Yellow Pages, and you'll be able to almost match the price.

Reply to
Nom

On a Nova? Unlikely.

I've seen track tyres quoted in sizes like that.

Reply to
SteveH