nissan 200sx

Right guys clue me up on these.

decided after faffing about with shit french cars (read bx and 205 gti's) crapper vauxhalls and god awful diesels that i really want something jap turbo'd and fast(ish)

budgets about a grand and these just seem so right :)

from what i gather 1.8 turbo'd donk circa 170 horses or so and rwd yeah?

moddability? reliability.? hedgeability?

Reply to
Rob

Some dude is about to come along and tell you why you'd rather have a 200SX than a Veyron...

Reply to
DanTXD

Cheaper on petrol?

Reply to
Tom Robinson

If i can afford to have the choice - I'm not sure petrol would be an issue money wise ;-) Plus it was a 700bhp 200SX iirc, so it's probably not much better.

Reply to
DanTXD

Given the choice I'd have the one that comes with 4wd a 7 speed dsg gear box and 1232bhp from the dealer. The other option if you are after a bargain "production" stormer would be the Barabus TKR with a mere 1005bhp from the dealers using a 6L V8 with a couple of turbos thrown at it. (0-62 in 1.62s and 270mph top speed) slightly slower and 230bhp down on the Veyron clubsport but it's only £360k so half the price. but my god it's no looker:

Depresion

can we get some thoughts on the 200sx's guys around a grand?????

any thoughts should i go s12/s13 what should i get should i say bugger it and fix the 205???

Reply to
Rob

Ah yea I saw their site when it was posted - I find 1.62s to 60 hard to beleive, also, it hasn't actually done 270mph has it? Cos that would mean it held the record now?

Reply to
DanTXD

Nah, it's a 'calculated' record.

The Veyron still holds the proven record I believe, but it was quickly already knocked off the 'calculated' records by an uprated factory edition Koenig (or something similar) iirc.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

What do have to spend? Anything you want up to 600bhp is pretty much proven. Seems block will need linering to go above that (as does a Cosworth YBB) and is still unknown territory. Clutch goes at 270bhp, fit 2 or 3 plate paddle or organic. Forged pistons to exceed 330bhp, chose from 5 makes. Pauter or Eagle rods to push over 350-370bhp. Needs OS Giken gearbox internals at 400bhp ish.

Likes fresh oil. Unmoded ones have run 170Kmiles before needing a overhaul. How far you get with a modded one depends on quality of build, maintenance and mapping.

Oh yes. Lots of newbies lose them first time it rains. It will look after you in a crunch.

S12 with 8v SOHC head is far more limited about 200-250bhp unless you do an engine swap or find one with a FJ20 and turbo it. IRS is not anywhere close to the multilink rear suspension on the S13, which except for not being made from alloy is very close to current 350Z design. It's lighter but unlike current cars (including S13) it's not made from high tensile steel. Has about the same protection as a Capri. Had a short rally history but the rise of 4x4's put paid to that.

Peter Hill

S13 is OK, but a little old. S14 has the better package. LSD and better engine/turbo I think. S15 is import only. I think the S12 was the 180SX/Silvia wasn't it? S13 is a hatch back with popup lights. They really suck fuel when up. S14 is a coupe with modern style narrow slot lights. Much nicer looking.

Reply to
Elder

Me Me Me!

You don't have to pay a serf to follow you around with your luggage. Your luggage arrives when you do not the day after. Because you can leave it most places without having to have a minder, your passenger doesn't have to be a nasty bit of work, 6ft 2" and built like a brick shithouse. (else you need 2, one for you and your lady and the other for the minder so he gets there when you do) You can at a push actually fit 5 in it so long as the 3 in back are teens who will do anything but walk.

Peter Hill

Cheap old Jap cars are great when they are running well and the 200SX is a nice choice. However if anything goes wrong parts prices are astromical, and s/h stuff is very difficult/impossible.

Slight

That's why a Toyota Celica GT4 turbo, ST165 or ST185, might be a better choice. Around the same price. 200 bhp plus for an import ST185. Plenty of s/h or new reasonably priced pattern spares available. Reliable, and fairly easily modded to give 300 bhp plus. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

When I was looking at 200SXs, many, many years ago, it seemed that every other one had turbo problems. ..and off the line they're slow as a slow thing compared to a 205 GTi.

Reply to
adder1969

You must be new round here not our normal Rob (despite having a similar dodgy car history), asking a question never gets a direct answer.

Reply to
Depresion

They are very strong, but genuine Toyota parts can be pricey for "old" models, some dealers refuse to entertain imports, and parts for them, and the few ST165s left tend to need regular rust repair.

One thing I did find with the 185 though is, up the boost and they are transformed (fit a proper gauge too), they don't rust, the diffs and transmissions are bomb proof, but bushes and links do wear.

Because of 4wd sappping power they do feel slower than a frd or rwd unless you keep them cooking.

Apart from understeering slightly (that can be fixed), they are pretty neutral and grip like shit to a blanket.

Reply to
Elder

One way round that is to give them the details from a similar model UK car. Or. Simply order the parts using the part number for a UK car. There's virtually no difference between the jap and UK version. S/h spares seem to be freely available as well, through the clubs and eBay. Club members do seem to stuff them quite regularly. :-) Probably because too many young inexperienced drivers buy them, despite having to pay maybe as much as they paid for the car to insure it.

Bushes and links are not that expensive.

I think they're a better drive than an early 200SX. The one with the 1800cc turbo. I understand later ones are better. I drove a '90 200SX before I decided on a Celica. Didn't like it at all. The worst RWD I've ever driven, and virtually all my cars have been RWD since I passed my test a few decades ago. Not as well balanced as a good RWD should be IMO. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

S14 and there's an S14a which is an S14 with a meaner and IMO better looking front :)

Reply to
Vamp

MR2 turbo! you know it makes sense rob :)

Reply to
Vamp

Very, Very true.

Reply to