Nitrous kit fitting

Can anyone recommend a garage competent at fitting a Zex nitrous kit to a V6 Vectra. I have all the bits except the fuel T piece. As close to the South Lake District as Possible (Kendal, Barrow, Morecambe...). Maryport is a little to far.

I don't trust myself to fit it. The last DIY spanner work I did cause me to crash a bike with the throttle stuck full on.

Reply to
Drew.H

I know a lot about nitrous systems. I wouldnt fit a Zex kit to anything personally. Or in fact any other dry kit for a bunch of reasons.

Fitting a system is easy, any monkey should be able to manage fine if they read the instructions.

Reply to
Burgerman

I have read you site from front to back, several times, in the past and pretty much understand how it all works. The Zex system I have is a wet system with the solenoids and controller built into one unit. I also have a pair of NOS solenoids, which are supposed to be preset to 100bhp (for what I don't know).

I had this kit almost fitted to a Dutton Phaeton, but was unable to find a tapered tap for the fogger. The Vectras engine is not as simple as an old Ford Pinto and I don't have the time to play around. I have a bad habit of stripping threads, doing an oil change on a GSX1100F cost me over £200 when I cracked the sump. Which is why I would like someone to fit it for me.

I don't trust just any garage, as a simple tyre change on my Blackbird almost cost me my life when the spanner monkey didn't tighten up the bolts in my calliper.

I want a trustworthy garage who know what they are doing and have bits in stock in case my hoses are to short and also can fill the bottle.

Reply to
Drew.H

Wet is better. But Zex kits are awful all the same.

I hope you find someone to fit it. Garages have "mechanics" andthey are generally just used to swapping brake pads and oil changes. Most are clueless about nitrous. But dont blame them for your flashback / torched valves or pistons etc because thats the fault of the Zex system as it comes.

Since you want a "safe" approach it seems silly to go with any agricultural US based kit although you already have it.. For smaller power outputs and for smooth safe reliable power (read no weak / rich / flashbacks etc) then you NEED: Low thermal mass (like nylon and or small) pipes (and also fittings) that that are a little larger than the nitrous JET (there needs to be only one). The pipework needs to have a constant internal diameter all the way from the pickup pipe in the bottle to the solenoid. And the same from the solenoid (and jet) to the engine. Jets fitted (US style) at the ends of the lines are a really bad plan if you want a safe reliable approach.

NOS (holley) and ZEX systems (and the dozens of clones) are "ok" on drag cars and big capacity US engines (although very agricultural) but they dont suit small gas flow or small motors. If you want to damage your engine and have a lack of consistency they they are the way to go.

Reply to
Burgerman

Basically, from what I have picked up from your site, jets need to be at the solenoid and not at the fogger.

The Vectra is a 2.5 v6, not exactly a yank tank, but still it was very cheap and I'm treating as a disposable car.

Reply to
Drew.H

Yes for a bunch of very important reasons. And there needs to be very low thermal mass components as well as pipework that closely matches jet size.

Great! Fit a zex system yourself! That should dispose of it!

Reply to
Burgerman