No Posts?

Has everyone deserted this group? I've not seen any posts for a few days now.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

No no we're still here. You might need to reset your usenet reader.

Reply to
DervMan

I gave up after repeatedly encountering these circumstances IRL:

1 - Explain that I have a Corsa. Reply: You must be blonde/Are you a hairdresser? 2 - Explain that I'm interested in cars and tasteful modifications. Reply: Oh, so you're a pikey/charver/townie then. 3 - Explain that I'm female. Reply: Bad driver/can't park/women drivers etc.

You just can't win :P

Reply to
Rachel

I think thats a perfectly reasonable assumption to make (c: From my experience of the people my age at my work with corsas would be blonde/hairdressers if they didn't live at home and work in a supermarket.

Solution: If you don't want tarred with that brush drive something non hairdressery.

If people are giving that sort of response you obviously arent talking about tasteful modifications (c:

Solution: Get a less hairdressery car/stick less plastic shit on.

Hmm, this is a whole new can of worms. I don't think I feel brave enough to tackle this one tonight.

Ah, a euphamism for modern life...

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Thing is, I like the shape and feel of Corsas. I've got black hair, and I'm a student ;)

I don't really care if I'm being tarred with that brush... as IMO, only ignorant people choose to do so. That goes for every subject, not just my choice of car.

I like my car, the shape, the feel. (1.6 16v in case you were interested).

*shrug*. I don't feel as if I have to get an "old school" car with a big fat lump that's tuned up. Exception being a relative's Vauxhall Lotus Carlton.... *g*

Well, I have a non standard exhaust (NOT a big fat noise-maker, just something nicer that doesn't look like a pea-shooter), the car is debadged, and I have Lockwood dials and a CD/MP3 player. Oh, and a "Fu Manchu" decal on the place where the "Vauxhall" was meant to be, heh. That's all, no plastic shit....

No point in even trying :>

Rachel

Reply to
Rachel

Fair do's. My only first hand experience of Corsas is that a very good friend of mine had a 1.2LS and it was utterly utterly horrible. It did suffer (with some dignity I suppose) tens of thousands of miles of being driven absolutely flat out with little or no servicing. It was horrible because it had no soul, it was frighteningly slow off the mark and he never cleaned the inside of the damn thing. Never knew what I was sitting in. I'm not saying all corsas are like that.

I'd love to have free reign of a Lotus Carlton. For about a month I think, then I'd give it back to the owner.

My Vauxhall has had extensive yet tasteful body modifications: Dings in all panels except roof and boot lid - presumably from students and hairdressers in Corsas bashing it in supermarket car parks (c; In fact I've been in it twice when its been driven into at low speed, once as I was getting out parked outside my flat, and the other in the station car park wating for someone to get off a train. Rust spots (hoping for speed holes soon, makes the car lighter see) on most of the doors. Go faster patches welded on the sills, still showing burn marks and spray on underseal. Cracked front bumper and missing puddlefinder light

1/2 factory bodykit missing on one side and gone completely on the other, 3 of 4 mudflaps removed (by running over that pesky lorry tyre probably).

I've also got a towbar and my exhaust is blowing slightly at the manifold and somewhere near the cats so you get to hear my engine in all its 12 valve glory. Not too loud mind, that wouldn't be tasteful. (c:

Still, for a car I paid £350 for I don't really care too much.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

supermarket.

I had to learn to drive in one, they are womans cars, the pedles are too close together, didnt like it much, my mk2 1.4 astra starlet was a much better drivers car lol. I've got long black hair and i'm a studant too and I drive a mk2 golf.

hairdressery.

I thought so untill i saw a pic with 6 chavs all with burbury caps on in a group

Nothing wrong with a small engine, i own a 1.3 ffs lol, but then again i'm getting an mk2 8v 1.8 GTi as soon as TPFT drops to under £1000. But I think the regulars here forget that being pretty young, insurance is a bitch and being a studant means that bitch is a pain in the wallet or erm... purse? I would rather own a good looking well handleing car than a stupidly fast one.

It was quite funny when i mentioned bonnet vents, if you can still read the thread i would advise you do, some of these guys have a secondary personality when it comes to stuff like that, thankfully a few of the other regulars were pretty cool.

I have new respect for women drivers after seeing i think some model called Jodie Kidd? On top gear put a hell of a time down on their course.

Reply to
REMUS

"REMUS" wrote

Dude, this is going to sound really anal, but you really can't spell.

Insurance is a bitch cos when you're young you are a massive risk. To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid. Us old gits would prefer you not to be young and stupid near us thank you very much though.

Fully comp insurance on my car with my current insurer was less than TPFT, again, for the 2nd year running.

Small engines suck. (c:

Having run a car whilst a student I know that its basically financial suicide. However I'm sure my liver will thank me one day.

I used to have a Peugeot 205 Diesel. It wasn't fast but it was a good car. Thankfully I never had pretensions of sticking anything much to it because it had starship mileage, looked like a dog, was worth f*ck all and I could out-drive most of the local nova loving scrotes in it with my eyes shut.

However, I painted the wheels hammerite white cos they were beginning to rust and had people "in the know" ask me if I'd got them off a 205 rallye. If they had really been in the know they'd have known the rallye ones were

14" and had different shaped holes, but I digress.

Come on now, your bonnet vents *were* stick on plastic shit. (c:

If you had something worth venting you probably would not have got such a hostile response. Hmmm, but then again this is usenet so maybe not...

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Put the kettle on luv :)

Reply to
Ronny

:o) you actually sound nice.....

call me when you've graduated from vauxhalls :oP

Mason

Reply to
Mason

You're a different Rachel to the one that drove a chipped A6 2.5TDI then?

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Doug - my mate's selling his 2.6CDX Carlton (dark blue), and if you want any little plastic trim bits let me know. He was going to convert it into a Lotus Carlton replica, but found a cheap 24v GSI and he's going to do it to that instead. As such he flogged the wings off it (put lotus replica bodykit with wings instead), and there are lots of bits in not that great condition, so probably not worth swapping any doors over, but it's probably got that bodykit/trim bit you're missing - let me know.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yup!

Reply to
Rachel

interested).

heh, I wouldn't mind a "better" car, but my insurance is well into the thousands at the moment so..

Reply to
Rachel

I know what you mean...only 21 myself.

Reply to
Mason

You drive a Corsa. It's asking for trouble. Then again, I'm driving an old Metro at the moment, but I don't care :)

Define tasteful? Or maybe consider useful/ practicle instead? Or give up on talking about mods in here, as the main topics seem to be what car, what insurance, what GPS, and bad driving.

Not to sound sexist or anything, but... I've just bought an old car. It's got a 1.3 petrol engine, yet was running on diesel when I bought it. One rear light cluster was smashed, reason given was "oh, I must have hit something". Both front wings have dings in the front corners, similar has happened at the back. The discs are deeply scored and make an awful noise when braking from speed, and feel rough through the pedal. The clutch is stiff (cable feels in need of grease), and it appears the synchro on 4th is very worn, probably as a result. And to top it all, the car pulls nastily to the right, and the steering wheel is a long way from straight.

I'll give you two guesses as to teh gender of the previous owner ;p

Reply to
Stuffed

To balance all this out, I give you the tale of my other half when she went and bought her last car (and she went on her own, gents.) Went to the dealer, told them what sort of spec and car she wanted. Went for the test drive, throughout which the salesguy kept going on about how great the radio was and how red the bodywork was, etc. They get back to the garage, the bloke is still blithering on about the radio, while 'er indoors leaves the engine running, pops the bonnet, gets out and checks to see if there's anything leaking past the rings by sticking her hand over the oil filler and has a general poke about the engine bay.

The salesguy stopped talking about the radio at that point.

Reply to
Scott M

My mrs is the same.... when she first brought the BM out after it's pain job she got some stick off one of the local "kevs" two trips round the nearest roundabout sideways soon silenced her critics :o) I certainly wouldnt say i'm a better driver than her, yes i have more track experience but thats about it. I dont subscribe to all this "woman driver" stuff. admitted there are some terrible ones....but i know some blokes who cant drive for shit too.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

How does a student afford insurance well into the thousands?

Reply to
Now the end is near

you dont get a great deal of choice.

through the 6th form/uni my car insurance was £1200 per year. (on a 1.4)

you work hard and earn as much money as possible.

Reply to
Mason