Not a 'which banger to buy' post

So, rather than unlike the Renault, it's the same as the Renault then - where you don't have to put the keycard anywhere? Mine stays in my pocket. It's actually unlike in an Aston where you have to insert the 'keycard' - which is actually more of a cube - into the dash. Still, why let facts get in the way of an ill-informed rant eh?

Reply to
DanB

You could always go a class up to the 166 and get the Sportronic, couldn't you?

That's if sir could bear to be driving anything other than something in the repmobile class.....

Reply to
L'homme d'AstraVan

Again

Reply to
Clive George

Hold on; I'm not saying that power is irrelevant. But for charging up and down the motorways in a company vehicle doing company meetings and suchlike, it's academic.

Reply to
DervMan

Maybe. But to dismiss a system because it doesn't have rear speakers

*without* listening to it is a bit foolish.

If you like driving and it's that big a deal or priority, why are you messing about with various diesel options?

In fact, why don't you get something you want, rather than something on a list?

For motorway stuff or messing about in heavy traffic, 177 bhp, 105 bhp, whatever - it's academic. You need 350 bhp or more.

Reply to
DervMan

I know what a 2-speaker poverty VAG audio install sounds like.

Because diesel is the only option, even if you opt out.

See above, and the small matter of losing my safety net.

But that's why I posted, I am open to suggestions.

I've driven the 105 and 140 Passats back to back. The 140 is significantly more relaxing to drive cross-country. Not all my miles are on motorway / dual carriageway, so I need some poke for overtaking trucks and caravans in the Welsh mountains, too.

140bhp is fine, but you can't have a 318d with an auto box.

I'm testing the A4 and the 320d in a week or two anyway.

Reply to
SteveH

My 225 had keyless, and you didn't have to insert the card anywhere for it to start. Keyless entry too, you just pulled the handle and the door unlocked and opened.

Reply to
Abo

*That* is more to the point. Dissing a system only because it has front speakers only makes you the Halfrauds target audience :).

If it's just that and you're not getting into trouble for it, take out the h/u and speakers, replace with decent ones and return it to factory spec at the end of the lease.

If you (carefully) buy used, you can get a very high quality system for

300-400 quid that way.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

*Way* too much hassle - you'd have to swap it back for every service, *and* the ECU will know it has been swapped.

It's not just that, though, it's all the other povo spec stuff that would piss me off, too.

Just looking at S60s - possibly looking at an older one, 53 plate or so, and buying over 2 years.

Need to carefully examine the warranty offered by Volvo dealers, though.

Reply to
SteveH

The ECU will know *what*? I know why I'm suspicious of anything too modern with just too much electronics in it.

Bit annoying to do the swap for every service, but you could possibly get away with just the H/U. But if they see that when they check the ECU for codes etc, it's a pants idea.

Fair enough. I find this a bit odd as it won't do anything for the resale value so your employer is likely to get shafted on the leasing rate, but hey, a bean counter probably justified his or her existence.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I think it's a clever move for the beancounters, as the A3 in question is the 'E' version with sub 120 whatevers emissions, which puts it in a super-low tax band and will make it very attractive as a used car in a few years time.

Reply to
SteveH

Ho yuss: lease companies are not only a right pill to deal with, but more cunning than a fox with a degree of cunningness...

Reply to
DervMan

Yeah and I'm coming across as badly in need of a gin and tonic, beer, or both combined.

Right-o. The 1.9 I tried didn't feel sluggish, felt fine for overtaking and suchlike; the 2.0 feels positively eager. I'd take a higher spec 1.9 over a lower spec 2.0 and accept that I'd get there in more comfort if a little later. :)

Are you going to be able to do a back to back? I would try to test drive two, three or four - taking the first car to the second dealer, and vice-versa...

Reply to
DervMan

I would because I can't stand them. Honestly, I really can't. BMW went downhill a fair bit in the last half decade and the 3 series is as common as dogshit too. They're even more common than the Mondeo I drive. They've lost the exclusivity they had. So there you go, by getting the 320D, you've well and truly entered sales rep fleet hack territory.

Personally I can't see owt wrong with just giving you the money and letting you buy what you want within reason.

Reply to
Conor

How can you willy wave in a car that outsold the Mondeo?

Reply to
Conor

My business use cost me nowt for unlimited business mileage. Haven't paid any extra to have it on for 3 years now.

Reply to
Conor

It's the UK so unless you're out at 3am you're not going to get a lot of opportunity to use it.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, they getting common. Usually 318d ES spec rather than 320d SE spec.

The real selling point of them is that I can have RWD, 177bhp and a decent auto box on one.

If I go with the A4 I get a CVT box and only 143bhp - and Audi don't have any CVT demonstrators.

The Passat is a decent option - leather, DSG and 143bhp, but it's only semi-auto climate and is so cheap that I'd be better off buying a 1 year old example myself.

Because we get better deals by buying in bulk - the 320d SE would cost me around £650 / month to lease, fully maintained.

I get £475 / month as a cash alternative, which gets you f*ck all on the new market, f*ck all from the lease market and leaves you running the risk of used cars.

Reply to
SteveH

Well I am biased because that's what I've essentially just done...

Do bear in mind that the 9-3 Sports Saloon was designed to better the Volvo S60; in my opinion, both have some similarities (cabin, comfort, performance), disadvantages (expensive parts) and differ a little in the drive. The Volvo's five cylinder engines are superb but the petrol models are a little thirsty; the diesel is just great. The Saab's 2.0 turbo works very well regardless of 1.8t / 2.0t / 2.0T badge, the 1.8i is gutless and - well you know my concerns over the TiD's reliability in the '03 to '05 age.

The Volvo has a better ride, the 9-3 has better handling. Both are not the most spacious of the breed, if you want a big interior, buy a Mondeo...

Dismissing the 9-3 as a long wheelbase Astra / shortwheel base Vectra is missing the point, too...

Petrol and LPG would be my choice... oh wait... aren't I doing just that? :)

Reply to
DervMan

As Tim Kemp can confirm, look in our office car park and there are up to three BMW 3-series.

All are 320d SEs. But they're also all manual.

Reply to
DervMan