Not a 'which banger to buy' post

I'd keep a Passat over a MkIII Mondeo.

Reply to
SteveH

Get a Passat then, but lord, a Caddy is just a silly idea - and deep down, you know that. Although I'm saying all this - isn't it just a Vectra/Saab underneath? I've never seen one in the flesh - is there a dealer/service place near you?

Reply to
DanB

Yes, it's a Saab 9-3 / Signum / Croma related platform. Some panels are obviously shared with Saab, and yes, there's a dealer in Cardiff (Stratstones).

They're a bit odd looking, but the kit is nice, the build quality is better than the closely related 9-3 and I can get a car with all the toys, climate, leather and auto for not much more than £10k at 1 year old.

It'll depreciate like nothing else, but it's not my money - so long as there is *some* equity in it after 3 years, I don't give a toss.

Reply to
SteveH

(re caddy)

Master of understatement there...

Reply to
Clive George

You know, having looked at the pictures some more - ok it's ugly, but it's distinctive, it will be different in an otherwise bland rep car world, but please god, don't get silver heh. What about a CTS? The new sports one is quicker than an M5, both round the ring (did a 7:59, video on YouTube) and in a straight line (it has like 550bhp)!

Would it be something like this -

? Or if that link doesn't work, it's a 1.9 D Luxury Auto BLS in black?

Reply to
DanB

Aye, only this is the one that has caught my eye:

SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Bwahaahhahahahahahaha

Reply to
Adrian

You'll note that I crossed that one off my list the moment I sat in it.

Reply to
SteveH

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's built in Sweden, and is very very closely related to the 9-3.

Reply to
Adrian

*ding*

The difference is that the Cadillac versions have decent interior materials..... and cost around 25-40% less than the equivalent Saab on the used market.

Reply to
SteveH

Bwahahah ahahaha hahahahahaha hahaha!

You're funny.

Reply to
DervMan

You thought it.

Reply to
DervMan

Have you looked at one, and compared with the Saab.

The interior trim is significantly better than the Saab trim and you can't argue with the prices....

The Saabs were on my list to look at, but they're not cheap enough or well equipped enough in comparison.

Reply to
SteveH

It's hard to beleive anything American has a better interior quality than anything Swedish...

Reply to
DanB

Made in Sweden on the same production line, but using higher standard materials to justify the higher initial purchase cost.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes, thank you. I found it wanting.

On the face of it, no; but they'll depreciate quicker than an already quickly depreciating Saab.

If all you want is performance and equipment, take a look at Hyundai, Kia and

Reply to
DervMan

It's essentially the 9-3 under, but this isn't the same as it being a Vectra. There are material differences.

The Alfa Romeo 159 is another different car.

Reply to
DervMan

You're just about the only person who has come to that conclusion.

9-3 trim gets regularly slated in the press, whereas the reviews I've read of the BLS pretty much praise the quality.

Having compared side by side, I have to agree.

Both are significantly better than the Vectra, though.

The Saabs still have a lot further to fall, though, and the curves will converge at some point at around 5 or 6 years old.

No.

Reply to
SteveH

I've only looked at *one* BLS, it was a very early one and I was disappointed. I'm quite happy to accept that the one I fiddled with wasn't as good as later ones.

Reply to
DervMan

Was it a UK one or in the US? Cos I bet the US ones have those standard US spec plastics, that no one else seems to be able to source...

Reply to
DanB