Not much posts recently

It seems not :-) I'm otherwise detained at the moment not at home, so it's unlikely. I have been taking the time to research my next car though. Feeling either, a Civic Type R, a VX220, an S2000, a Clio 182 or V6 (if I could find one for under 10k...). There's no real method to my choices, just stuff that is cool heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Umm, got 4 new tyres and new mid- and back box exhaust, but that's only because they needed doing. I know it's not technically a mod, but the colour of the exhaust going from rust to new steel must count a little?! OK, maybe not.

I am, however thinking of installing a bass box in the car - a custom made bit to fit between the wheel arch and the light cluster, one each side in the boot. I want it to be completely DIY, so I'm trying to figure out the best way of getting 50v from 12v (for the amp, obviously).

How about you - have you done anything to the stereo of your Octavia?

Reply to
conkersack

Not *many* posts.

'Must try harder - see me after class'

:-p

Reply to
SteveH

I have been, and I tried to get the group back on topic but no one cars about the Nova!! It's getting some Cav SRi alloys soon. Not because we wanna bling it up, but it needs new tyres and my Dad's giving me the alloys/tyres for free!

Gotta fix the clutch pedal on the BX as it's currently undriveable, but other than that nothing it going on because I'm moving house this weekend!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Again? Haven't you just moved? Also, will the Cav wheels have Cav tyres on still, cos surely, they'll never fit?

Reply to
Iridium

Amps run on 12 volts normally?

Don't know anything that might use 50v? Even trucks are normally 24v. Are you sure you don't mean 50amps current for your 12v amplifier?

Reply to
Elder

Bloody hell, thought you hadn't long moved.

Reply to
Elder

Nope, it's been dragging out for ages (about 3 months I think), but it's now finally confirmed!

Tyres are 185 or 195 I think, so should be ok. We'll see! If they dont fit he's got some 14" steels too, but that's not quite as good!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The only posts with any intelligent content have been started by you. Not a good sign for the week ;)

Reply to
Elder

Ah reet.

Yea but they'll be a really fat profile won't they? Anyhoo, as you say, you'll see :-)

Reply to
Iridium

See other post to Dan. We're buying this one, so it's taken a while to get it all sorted out!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Nah, I'm making a 'household' amp, and this particular one needs about

48v. Higher voltage/lower current is a better situation in the car anyway, I reckon.
Reply to
conkersack

From the posts on here it seems none of you "modify" anything ever!.................Unless of course you deem fitting bolt ons, that mostly dont work, can be seen as such.

Reply to
Ken

I have actually heard over the last few year "rumours" of new cars going to 48v systems.

You will need to build either some kind of inverter, or build it to run on DC and use a stepup transformer of sometime?

Reply to
Elder

Don't remember buying ours took that long. And we went on holiday. Mind you we weren't selling and the seller had a new house ready to move into.

The remortgage a couple of years ago did take longer though as it was all done by post.

Reply to
Elder

Yup, especially with the advent of hybrid types, with hugely powerful electric motors. Low voltages aren't an option.

Hum? The options are either beefy DC-DC converter (possibly expensive, depending on power requirements, electrically noisy, but efficient) or to use an inverter (DClow-AClow-transformer-AChigh(-DChigh)), which is easy and cheap and would allow you to use the amp on mains supply , if it is designed for that. Unfortunately using an inverter is rather inefficient, and will be bulky and also potentially electrically noisy.

Alternatively you can have two sets of 4 smallish lead-acid batteries, at any one time one set of 4 are connected in series and used to power the amp, and the other set are connected in parallel and are charged from the 12V supply. When the set driving the amp reach certain discharge level, the sets swap over. You need some nice switching circuitry, but that's not terribly difficult.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yeah, I recall reading, I think it was Chrysler, were trying to get 48v as an incar standard. Makes sense though. I think one of the big car electrical suppliers were behind it too.

Well, all car amps hav some sort of DC-DC converter on them, of varying quality, and half of the attraction of this task is to make something of my own.

I'm going to see the new Bond movie at 1:15, I'll see if I can get any inspiration from him.

Reply to
conkersack

Or as Frazer said, just buy a car amp and EBay the project ;)

Reply to
Elder

No gadgets in this one as I understand it.

Reply to
Elder