Not the best condition but

You say that, but a lot of people really can't be arsed with fixing all the niggly little faults when they're selling a car on. For a whole variety of reasons. I've been in the position with a few cars I've sold where a few things would have been fairly simple to solve, just that I really couldn't be arsed.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that you've spent very little money on this car.

Something like two months HP payments for some people I would have thought ?

Anyway.

Best of luck with the car Carl.

It's the type of thing I could very easily be tempted into with the correct prevailing wind on any given day. There ain't nothing like a Rover V8, and I hope you enjoy every single minute of it.

May all your repairs be simple.

(As an asides, until around a month ago, my Golf had three faults which seriously compromised the car. All three were very easily and cheaply fixed once I got the finger out. Hope your experience is similar).

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Nice theory. Tried that with the 156 and still ended up calling a bloke out 'cos we could't pin-point the leak.

Again, if it was something that simple, wouldn't the previous owner have done it already?

The thing is, there's sheds that work and sheds that don't. You've bought one that largely doesn't.

The point being that a cheap shed of a diesel would have been much easier on the pocket than a Range Rover with a few hassles declared and unknown issues the seller hasn't been completely honest about.

Reply to
SteveH

Works in a lot of cases, but the bloke selling that appears to be some sort of enthusiast and has obviously done a fair bit of spannering on that car, so it doesn't make sense that half hour jobs haven't been done.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, it seems Carl'd be getting some better tyres - but them off road jobs, surely they'd, erm, impinge on the ride quality somewhat?!

Reply to
conkersack

Not a bad idea at all - get handy enough with it and you could always pimp yourself about maybe.

Who's that then?

Reply to
conkersack

What is your evidence for that?

Reply to
Elder

*AIRCON NOT WORKING, SUSPECT IT NEEDS A REGAS ?* Hardly an essential, if I can fix it, Bonus. *LPG SYSTEM NEEDS TUNING- A LITTLE ROUGH ON IDLE BUT FINE WHEN CRUISING.
  • Plugs, leads (X8) and dizzy not cheap if you selling, but no biggy if=20 you are buying.

*REAR ELECTRIC WINDOWS INTERMITTANTLY DIDNT WORK SO I DISCONNECTED THE=20 SWITCH-PROBABLY SOMETHING SIMPLE BUT HAS NEVER BOTHERED ME.* Switch, motor or earth, not rocket science. And let's face it, if you=20 are mainly using it for offroad trips, do you car that you can't open=20 the window over a vacant seat when the sunroof opens?

*TOP TAILGATE A BIT ROPEY, BUT STILL LOCKS AND OPENS OK.* "They are all like that sir" but at least this one locks, a lot don't.

You telling me, in the Sub =A31k banger category, any of those things=20 would put you off buying a car? Yet you buy Alfas then send them off to live with a welders for the=20 winter?

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:The Sisters of Mercy-Feel No Pain

Elder

*REAR ELECTRIC WINDOWS INTERMITTANTLY DIDNT WORK SO I DISCONNECTED THE SWITCH-PROBABLY SOMETHING SIMPLE BUT HAS NEVER BOTHERED ME.* Switch, motor or earth, not rocket science. And let's face it, if you are mainly using it for offroad trips, do you car that you can't open the window over a vacant seat when the sunroof opens? *****************************************************************************

I mis-read that, no leccy rear windows wouldn't bother me, people in the back are free-loading bludgers :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Cheap Cars and Tyres, Longford Street. Also have a Dark blue 520i Auto for =A3950 with 12 months ticket, 5 months= =20 tax. Very pikey place. Next door to Budjet tyre and exhaust

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:The Sisters of Mercy-Feel No Pain

Elder

Well the front windows still work. But I need aircon these days anyway, I've gone soft heh. Or a ragtop would be a suitable compromise hehe.

Reply to
Iridium

That is it. I never want to get into a position where I have car=20 payments equal to my mortgage, either in monthly cost, or in repayment=20 time.

Yup, 1 for some others.

Thank you.

When I bought the first Saabm it was low on boost intermittently, the=20 reverse light didn't work, and one headlight was dim. Everyone said=20 don't buy a =A3300 turbo that is 20 years old. I owned that car for nearly 2 years and forever regret selling it. The=20 only fixable fault it had was the oil leak, and I found that the day I=20 sold it while giving it a spruce up. Turns out either the oil cooler or=20 one of the hoses had split and that was it had sprayed oil over the=20 gearbox/wishbone shared mount. It only happened when the engine was=20 running at speed and airflow blew it, so even running the engine=20 stationary couldn't locate the leak to easily, and the oil cooler is=20 down under the bumper. And believe it or not, oil rotted gearbox=20 mounting is one of the most common causes of the old Saab popping out of=20 bear, which mine did, but only with a combination of load and turning=20 right. If it had been load only I would have said worn box, but load and=20 turning and a shagged mount is a sign that the box is moving, and=20 shifting the shifter rod out of gear.

I wish I had kept it and sent the seller on his way now.

Thanks, me too.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:The Sisters of Mercy-Feel No Pain

Elder

Yes, that's what I don't get really. We have SteveH's winge about stuff not working that really doesn't matter in the context of a £560. Maybe the diesel fumes and brilliance of the Passat have gotten to his head.

Aie. Range Rovers are absolutely not my thing whatsoever, but that doesn't mean I'll jump on an easy bandwagon to slate your choice. :)

Indeed... just... should be in a Ka. :)

Does it have a soft touch dashboard?

Reply to
DervMan

This is true, at the end of the day, if it is a complete shed, it was only £560 and it'll eBay for £500 all day long heh.

I think he should add some nitrous :-p

Until around the same time I had grinding brakes. Turns out the rear pads were down the metal backing.... for some time. Oops. I sorted it myself though :-) Well, I was in hospital, but I did phone the dealer to arrange for my mum to drop it off and get it looked at hehe.

Reply to
Iridium

Screw everyone else, I think that's cool!!

Make sure you get into some off-roading whilst you've got it!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Absolutely not !!

This is the oft misunderstood MK3 and a half. 2000W, looks like a MKIV from a distance.

My workmate has a MKIV, complete with soft touch dashboard. I lust after it on a daily, nay hourly basis.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

The list of 'issues' in the ebay listing is a bit of a hint.

Reply to
SteveH

The word "normal" in your post is where your argument falls down .For Carl and others including myself "normal" cars = very boring..:-). I'm suffering driving a Xantia with power everything and climate at the moment. I really need to get something daft and useable as a daily driver soon.

Good luck with the Rangie Carl. You mad bastard ;-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

For a daily driver, given the kind of roads you use, I'd mark air-con as an essential.

Really!?

You have strange ideas. They're a big deal to me, 'cos it means I need to spend money and time on it ASAP.

Great. So it's been a neglected off-road hack, then?

No reason to find it acceptable. More expense and time.

Erm, yes, given that there are loads of sub-£1k bangers with all those things working.

Erm, point of order here.....

  1. The 75 is a 3rd car in the household. It's a toy and an appreciating classic.
  2. I can afford to splurge £2k on making my toy look pretty.
  3. It was a reliable daily driver for 3 years before I put it into semi-retirement. Doesn't have aircon, but all the windows work, as does the ignition system.
Reply to
SteveH

They'd bother you if you were sat in a hot car and needed some airflow through it.

Reply to
SteveH