Now a Manta owner :)

Well I've taken a risk and bought a car without looking at it. Sounds pretty good from what I've heard from the current owner, and looks pretty funky. Should be picking it up at the weekend.

Will my first GM car end in a rusted disaster? We shall see!!!

In all it's glory:

Carl Gibbs

That the one of the 'bay? I used to think they were dead cool when I was like, 8 :)

Reply to
DanTXD

I had one. I liked it so much that it replaced my X1/9 (I had planned to run both, but the insurance was a bit much). It was replaced with a Victor and showed up under Nick Larkin's ownership in Practical Classics :D

Great fun, feel a bit more sophisticated than a Capri, very comfortable IMO (mine was a 1.8S, no Recaros in that).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Damn carl, you've found taste at last :)

good man and a very nice buy :) :)

Reply to
Rob

nice! i guess you won't want the bluebird now? ah well you're loss haha or mine i forget :)

Reply to
Vamp

'fraid not mate :( If the Swift had sold this weekend and I didnt have a car lined up I probably would have paid you a visit!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well I've never thought a 206 was cool :p

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Oi, MR2, XR4x4, Swift GTi, MX5 - all well respected cars I'll have you know! :)

We'll see about that one!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Just needs an Andrew Page sticker job, and a Hybrid 2.4 based on a Frontera engine.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Oh don't get me wrong, I think they're a pile of s**te old ugly crap now :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Any car i thought was cool when i was 8 is now even cooler. Manta included!

-- Chet

Chet

Nice! Was going to ask about the interior/ under the bonnet, then realised you probably haven't seen it yet....

Nick

Reply to
NickD

Interior is yellow and black checkered - tasty!!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not sure how easy engine changes are - doesnt the 2.4 engine bolt up to the

1.8 (XE?) version? My 2.0 lire is an old underpowered CIH engine. A redtop conversion would be uber cool though!!!

The Monza I was looking at only went for £500 :( Ah well.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Mantas quietly rust, and in reasonably easy-to-spot places.

Monzas rust, in lethal and hidden places.

I still regret not having owned a Monza though ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I used to like mine, but always thought one would be lovely with the 24v lump in.

Wonder if anyone has built a Lotus Monza yet...

Reply to
Pete M

Same interior as my sons IIRC. He has a completely restored 1977 Manta.

3 box version with chrome bumpers and small boot spoiler. It's sitting in a nice dry cosy garage Unused since it was restored some years ago. AFAIK all it needs is a brake bleed and an MOT and it could be on the road. I've an idea he doesn't want to spoil it's pristine condition. :-) Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

Heh, I'd never do that to a car (not drive it I mean)! Whats the point?! :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I keep asking him the same question. He just gives a vague reply about someday. It was only his second, and his first decent car when he baught it in 1986, and I think he's sentimentally attached to it. He smashed it up driving in very heavy rain in the great storm of October '87. Aquaplaned into a telegraph pole. Snapped it clean off at the base! Had it all re-jigged, new panels, got rid of any rust, gave it an £800 respray, and it's been in his garage ever since, apart from occasional outings onto his drive for a wash and polish. A '99 BMW 323 is the family car, and he also has a Peugeot 407 company car with sat nav and all the toys, so he doesn't need to run it. Shame though. It is a very nice looking car. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Blimey, I just about remember that - I was 5!! Our shed blew down :)

Tis a shame indeed, sounds beautiful! Still, it's probably sat there appreciating in value so I guess it's an investment in some ways.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs