Now it is out and known, Here is the latest jalopy.

Paid the BIN price cash and he killed the Auction. Not bad nick, everything works as it should. Needs a cambelt soon, but not an interence engine so just a bill when it=20 goes if I get lazy.

Very Quiet, smooth and comfy.

Loads of JDM toys. Advertised as in Liverpool, I saw it at a garage when it was getting new=20 brakes for the MOT, saw the Auction, realised that it was the same car,=20 then found out from the owner it was being kept at Warrington TA=20 Barracks, 100 yards from my house, because he had been posted there,=20 instead of Germany where he expected to be going, now they are=20 stationing regulars there as well as TA.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

No he didn't he just put up a do not bid at the bottom. Ebay like me don't like that one bit, they have the option to pull the auction for a reason.

Reply to
Depresion

I've been reading your posts over several years, and a recurring theme is that you're unlucky. Given that history, do you really think it's worth scrimping the cambelt?

OTOH there is the other recurring theme of buying things with problems which show up later, negating any work you put in. So now I'm torn - will the bad luck show as a broken belt or something much worse?

Here's hoping this one's a good un anyway :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Very Quiet, smooth and comfy.

I like that. I'm now going to the doctors as I like what Carl's bought, and I've just bought an Alfa. ;-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

He did pull it early too though "As it is no longer available". A day after I reminded him.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

------------------------

That's very cool!

Is that the same v8 thats in the Soarer? A mate had one and I was very impressed with it - as you say very very smooth and a fair bit of grunt when you wanted it!

Whats the hologramic 3D dashboard stuff about though?! Looks like a dash from a rover 214 to me :)

Good luck with it

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well, the GT4 (another Toyota) was "Yes mate it has had a cambelt, but=20 I've lost the receipt" and that soldiered on fine. I did actually do a little research before buying.

Although Toyota UK has them as 64k cambelt change, Toyota/Lexus USA has=20 them as 64k post 96, change at 100k pre 1996. Toyota/Lexus Aus say "Starting inspecting at 90k and at the annual=20 service after".

One of the forums says that the only recorded incident from Lexus US of=20 an actual breakage is 150k on the original belt and nothing else changed=20 and poor service record. One of the guys on the same forums reconns his=20 '96 "good car" gets it done on the dot. But his "working car" 92 is=20 still on the same belt from new at 220k miles. I wouldn't leave it that=20 far.

If it is a keeper I'll get an indy to change the belt. Apparently, it is an ex diplomatic car, so that might explain the lack=20 of any history (even import papers). I'll find out when I get the log=20 book. I think it is the quietest car I've ever owned. the Radio is a UK=20 Lexus Pioneer premium system, rather than a Jap system with band=20 expander.

The air suspension has been changed to coils (so the light on the dash=20 blinks, time for the black tape), so that is one expensive failure=20 already sorted. But it is an easy swap on the early ones as they were=20 available with both.

at 250bhp for a 4 litre quad cam engine, it isn't exactly stressed. But=20 my god, plant your foot, it drops too gears at 70 (115KMH) and rockets.

Still trying to get used to a KMH speedo.

Nice that the CD changer works with burned audio discs, but it means I=20 only get 6 albums instead of 8/9 per disc like in an MP3 headunit.

Has a full MOT and a list of the brakes/handbrake/tyres it needed to=20 pass.

It's a little thirstier than the Saabs, but so smooth it is forgivable.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Shite old cheap cars for the summer ;)

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Yes, same V8 in the Soarer.

He is right. It is sort of layered. The needles are infront of the dials obviously, but the dials themselves=20 do seem to float, with the little warning icons sitting behind them=20 slightly in the distance. It isn't mega but you do notice it. And it=20 blacks out totally in daylight apart from very bright sunlight when off.

I like the fuel gauge needle. It is illuminated like all the others, but=20 appears to fall short of the marks on the illuminated gauge scale.=20 Except it doesn't. The tip is plain black, and covers the marks on the=20 gauge scale so you get a much larger dark area where the needle is, so=20 you can clearly see how much fuel you have.

Has weird jap things like a beeper for when in reverse, but it only=20 plays inside the car. Also, in the back seats, as well as electrical=20 adjustment, you get massage, you can move the front passenger seat out=20 of the way for extra leg room, you get your own aircon controls, radio=20 and CD changer controls, plus a cassette player with headphone socket to=20 listen to your own music or your aid can write up your dictated notes.

Drivers leather is thin, dry and has one rip, but Jap market leather is=20 always dry and overtanned as they like the look, but not the feel and=20 smell of leather, and pay extra to ruin it.

I like this car.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Yes, same V8 in the Soarer.

He is right. It is sort of layered. The needles are infront of the dials obviously, but the dials themselves do seem to float, with the little warning icons sitting behind them slightly in the distance. It isn't mega but you do notice it. And it blacks out totally in daylight apart from very bright sunlight when off.

I like the fuel gauge needle. It is illuminated like all the others, but appears to fall short of the marks on the illuminated gauge scale. Except it doesn't. The tip is plain black, and covers the marks on the gauge scale so you get a much larger dark area where the needle is, so you can clearly see how much fuel you have.

Has weird jap things like a beeper for when in reverse, but it only plays inside the car. Also, in the back seats, as well as electrical adjustment, you get massage, you can move the front passenger seat out of the way for extra leg room, you get your own aircon controls, radio and CD changer controls, plus a cassette player with headphone socket to listen to your own music or your aid can write up your dictated notes.

Drivers leather is thin, dry and has one rip, but Jap market leather is always dry and overtanned as they like the look, but not the feel and smell of leather, and pay extra to ruin it.

I like this car.

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------

i came close to buying one at work once for about that kinda money and in a more shitty condition but that was over a year ago. my next car won't be for a while but i have a shortlist of Soarer (either V8 or 2.5TT) a mustang convertible (maybe in white with the GT and 5.0 badges Mr ICE style!) or a Camaro cos clarkson said there murders cars and i like that kinda image :) with the option of an 80's caprice or a mid nighties impala SS :)

nice car there carl bout time you went jap again!

Reply to
Vamp

And import this time too :) Fully comp for =A3400 a year.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

There is this *big* chance that you have found a gem.

After phoning a bit around: in Belgium you won't find one under 6000 Eur and those are really messed up.

I have good experiences with embassy cars, just pull the empty bottles and stained nickers from under the rear seats and you will be fine.

Nice battleship but be aware: luxury corrupts ;-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

And import this time too :) Fully comp for £400 a year.

Reply to
Ronny

I did think of a GS, but with upto =A31600 to play with it was either a=20 ropey GS, or a long in the tooth UK LS.

Then this import came up trumps. Nice.

I do love it.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Very Quiet, smooth and comfy.

Loads of JDM toys. Advertised as in Liverpool, I saw it at a garage when it was getting new brakes for the MOT, saw the Auction, realised that it was the same car, then found out from the owner it was being kept at Warrington TA Barracks, 100 yards from my house, because he had been posted there, instead of Germany where he expected to be going, now they are stationing regulars there as well as TA.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

For =A3800GBP I'm not too fussy, but it would have been nice.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

I like that, it's really nice. I nearly bought an LS400 once, but there just wasn't enough headroom. Comfy seats though.

What's a non-interference engine?

Reply to
conkersack

was ist das?