OBD-II Scanners

Does anybody have their own OBD-II scanner?

I've been researching into these, and there are quite a few options out there. So does anybody have a personal recommendation? I'm wanting a unit that's biased towards providing a screen of dials, an electronic dash, or whatever it's called.

/FWIW I've a Palm, a PocketPC, and will have a laptop / auto-PC in due course, so my options are open/

Reply to
DervMan

Is that one of those do-hickeys that plug into car ECU's and you let check fault codes or whatever?

Reply to
Dan405

Nice! I have a laptop, could i get one, plug it into the 405, and into my laptop (USB?) then look at all my cars readings and shit? Or is mine too old/shit (1993 1.6i) to have all the right sensors/connections?

Reply to
Dan405

Yes, and a lot of other gubbins too, like RPM, coolant temperature, O2 sensor readings . . . about 150 sensors if you have a Ford.

Reply to
DervMan

Wow - i replied one minute before you posted :)

Reply to
Dan405

Yes, it's probably too old: OBD-II because the standard in 1996.

Check out

for an example of the software. It's pretty nifty. :)

Reply to
DervMan

PS forgot to say, heh, you're quicker than your car, then! :)

Reply to
DervMan

That is so cool :)

Still quicker than yours :)

Reply to
Dan405

This is true... get to Lincoln now and we'll settle this :)

Reply to
Dan405

We've yet to prove, or otherwise, this! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Bwahahah! We tried sorting this last weekend . . .

Reply to
DervMan

Heh - i could've done Sunday - but noooooooooooooo you old people had to make it Saturday :)

Reply to
Dan405

I won...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Only cos i wasn't there :)

Reply to
Dan405

no.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes.

Reply to
Dan405

no.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

fx:

Yea ok.

Reply to
Dan405

If you're dedicated (and capable), there's _plenty_ of resources out there of how to roll your own.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

That's because we had Church on Sunday.