Oh Dear

I have realised that I have now been driving a diesel for so long that when I get in a petrol car with a sporty engine (ie, 16V and not a huge wodge of torque), I wonder what the f*ck is wrong with it.

Reply to
Doki

Horrid feeling isn't it? Saying that, the Puma's not too bad because of the variable cam timing gubbins, it's quite responsive low down. Going from the Xantia TD to a 2 litre Mondeo petrol was a bit weird though, it was totally gutless compared to the Xantia up to about

3500rpm

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Aye. My girlfriend's golf is fine - 100lbft from 1.6litres, and fairly low down. OTOH the MX5 engine makes that sort of torque and feels fairly limp, but I'm probably expecting more from a 2 litre engine in a tonne of car. The Honda S2000 engine also seemed absolutely gutless at low revs.

Perhaps PeteM should start up an organisation like those American preachers who turn gay people straight, but turning diesel drivers back into people...

Reply to
Doki

By an amazing coincidence when I get into a diseasel with its 1000rpm power band and its pathetic 4500rpm red line, and I hear that clatterign agricultural noise and smell that disgusting stink, I wonder what the f*ck is wrong with it. Then I remember, it's a diesel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Heh, I had that with the van (2.3 petrol/LPG Sprinter) - well I expected it, but the lack of a decent low-down thump does make things very different, but at the end of the day it's just a matter of doing things differently and getting used to it.

One thing that certainly feels a lot more pleasant is the much more progressive power delivery between idle and 2000rpm. Might sound insignificant, but it's really not. Makes for a much smoother drive when you just get used to the fact that there's not as much torque there.

Still, all of these are reasons why I want the new Sprinter with the 3.5 V6 petrol engine. It's got a similar amount of torques to the most powerful

4-pot diesel (150bhp), and is petrol, has lots more power, and a nice proper auto box.
Reply to
AstraVanMann

Aye, that's something I like when I drive petrols. Pulling out of a T junction in a diesel usually results in 10-20 feet of nothing happening, like you're driving a carbed car that's bogged down, and then sudden scrabbling for grip as the turbo spools.

Reply to
Doki

I'm just glad of having the Lupo around to drive once in a while. It's not utterly gutless low down, but doesn't really come on song until 5k.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Just get a decent turbo, I used to relish wasting reps in various vile VAGs

Reply to
john

I was just about to say, the T5 doesn't suffer from a lack of instant urge..

Reply to
Pete M

2l primera seems to be a good option though!
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Devastatingly awesome. The smell of burning from it wasn't quite so good though.

Reply to
Pete M

Pfft. It's the smell of air molecules being rent asunder by the sheer primularity. Sailed through the emissions on the MOT, anyway and doesn't touch it's oil. Bastard thing needed new discs and pads all round - it's now cost me £100 in parts over the last two years...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

"Primularity", you cheesy bugger.

I suspect it was more fun to watch than to be in though. Me and Carl were giggling somewhat, interspersed with comments of "He's not hanging about in that thing".

Reply to
Pete M

Mmmm...cheeeeese...

Well, see, I was a bit surprised when you said it was skipping about all over the place, 'cos it felt fine and quite well planted from the drivers seat. Had me grinning like a loon for pretty much the whole way, anyhow. Dunno what it'd have been like as a passenger...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Clearly a 16v DOHC (even with VVTi / port closing butterflies) petrol engine isn't going to have the power/torque of a TD at same rpm. Stop thinking in rpm absolute and think in % redline.

When you run a 7K rpm redline petrol engine at 2000rpm you are using

28% of it's rev range. It's like running a 4.5K rpm redline TD at 1280rpm - it will be quite gutless too. When you run that TD to 2000rpm it's doing 44% of it's rev range and the equivalent rpm for the petrol engine is a far more perky 3111rpm.

DT > Petrol 16v (DT rpm x 16v redline / DT redline - DT rpm x 7 / 4.5)

1500 > 2333 2000 > 3111 2500 > 3888 3000 > 4666 3500 > 5444 4000 > 6222 4500 > 7000

If you have a 9K Honda, rev it a bit more, it don't like it, it LOVES it.

1000 > 2000 1500 > 3000 2000 > 4000 2500 > 5000 3000 > 6000 3500 > 7000 4000 > 8000 4500 > 9000

Of course if your petrol engine has a sub 7K rpm redline you've been sold some old pup. 16V head is a waste of time and money if it don't rev.

Reply to
Peter Hill

The one to have is the 20V (SR20VET) which they didn't sell in the UK.

Peter Hill

You should do touring car in it.

Show those bastards how to properly drive. It really was awesome in the proper sense to see Pete hammer the T5, it rocket forward but the gap to you not close by much. While all the time, the gap to Tim is closing faster and faster.

Reply to
Elder

Hmmm. Well, ta for the flattery, but I don't think I closed the gap on Tim at any point where ha was nailing it - I seem to remember him naffing off into the distance somewhat on the long straight as we approached wetwang. I wonder what the Corsa driver thought as that little procession blatted past at about 3 times his speed?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

You do make me laugh, I'm surprised you can drive anywhere with you head so far up your own arse.

Alan...

Reply to
Alan Smith

Bloody hooligans, there will be a funeral. If only he knew.

I was actually impressed by Dervy. Out of sight all the way, but arrived before we had even got out of the cars.

Reply to
Elder