Oh oh, new addition to sig.

Hello Pete.

21 Jan 04 00:26, you wrote to all:

PM> I couldn't resist it, an '82 Merc 500 SEL.......

PM> If I'd not started it, I'd have possibly been ok...

PM> But a 5.0 V8 with a slightly blowing backbox.....

PM> had to be done for £350... especially with two new MB front wings and a PM> load of new bits thrown in. Like 5 new tyres etc...

Well, congratulations!

Sergey

... My poor mouse only has one ball.

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

I couldn't resist it, an '82 Merc 500 SEL.......

If I'd not started it, I'd have possibly been ok...

But a 5.0 V8 with a slightly blowing backbox.....

had to be done for £350... especially with two new MB front wings and a load of new bits thrown in. Like 5 new tyres etc...

Reply to
Pete M

PICS!

-- Chet

Chet

I'll give you £80 for the Alfa - should be enough for a tank of petrol for the Merc ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Heh, the Merc is in "project" mode for the next few weeks, so the Alfa is needed... but in about a month, the Alfa is for sale for £400.. no offers either, before you start...

Reply to
Pete M

Your PC clock is very wrong :) This is showing up before the original post...

Reply to
Dan405

No, cos he's in Russia ! Different time-zones and stuff - news servers/readers never manage to take it into account properly.

Reply to
Nom

Probably using microsoft products (c;

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

there is nothing wrong with microsoft products.

Reply to
Theo

Oh, right. My mistake, carry on.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think Douglas' point was that if he were using Unix or Linux, it would post using a GMT timestamp, as in general the time on *nix machines is always set to GMT and the computer adds or takes away the correct number of hours for that timezone and summertime etc. You can set up most linux distributions to use the clock like Windows though, so that it can happily exist with a Windows install on the same machine.

Reply to
Doki

Oh good god. That has to be the funniest thing I've read on usenet all year.

Richard (Mac user. Yes, I'm posting from a PC, it refuses to die, but it crashes constantly).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

my mum has an imac, its a horrible thing with a tiny screen, crappy shell integration and it crashes all the time. and its slow.

Reply to
Theo

I have a G5 2.0GHz Dual, it's a beautiful thing with a 20" LCD screen, excellent X11 and Unix shell as well as a wonderfully easy to use OS, it has only been switched off to install the Hammerfall DSP card, and it's so fast I can do massive multi-track processing with huge numbers of plugins and still not get the CPU meter above 1/2 way for 1 CPU.

Though if it's an old iMac, extra RAM and OS X will sort the shell, probably the crashing, and the slowness.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

What goes "oink, flap, oink, flap" ?

Not that the timestamp had anything to do with products - it's a clock being wrong somewhere, hardly unusual.

Reply to
antispam

Hello Douglas.

21 Jan 04 12:22, you wrote to Nom:

DP> Probably using microsoft products (c;

The mailreader and POP3/SMTp clients are freeware 3rd party. Run under Windows XP though :=/

Sergey

... Day 6,853,332 of 30 day free trial. Please pay soon.

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

I'm running Panther on an iMac 333 with 192mb and 40gb hard drive.

It's mainly been relegated to a server these days, but it flies along and _never_ crashes - had uptime of several months until I did the Panther upgrade from Jaguar.

And my Powerbook 400 (Pismo) feels like a bit of a speed demon on 320mb of memory. Again, doesn't crash.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, my PB G4 12" crashes when it wakes from sleep. It's going to get Applecared, because my iBook didn't. There are issues with them, I think.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Wow :) Such power!

My 2.6ghz P4 with 512DDR, 64mbddr GF4 GFX card, and 40gb hard drive (which admittedly is WAY too small) laptop pales in comparison i guess :)

Reply to
Dan405

Here's a hint.

It's not the clock speed that counts, it's what you do with it.

Windows is so bloated that you need 2GHz to get decent performance out of a maching running XP.

Which is in stark contrast with OSX, which runs happily on machines as low as 233mhz.

Reply to
SteveH