Oi Dervy. One for you I think.

I've still got my USB diag cable that I bought for the Octavia. I haven't found the diag socket in the cabin yet (haven't looked) but from what I've seen on the Lexus owners club, the socket should be the same, and the cables that was recommended seems to work the same protocols as mine, and it looks like VAG and Lexus use the same protocol.

Do you reckon I could get anything like sensible readings from the copy of VAGcom I have installed? I've heard some of the Lexus guys have picked useable data (codes etc) with a cable and borrowed laptop with a Saab program.

Or am I better off using something like wOBD

or OBDII Automotive Scan Tool and Virtual Dashboard v1.01p OBDII Automotive Scan Tool and Virtual Dashboard v1.01p Description:

Reply to
Elder

You'll probably get soemthing out of VAG-COM in generic OBD-II mode.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Might be worth giving it a go when things get a touch warmer then. Would be interesting to get some additional virtual gauges going, maybe next time aldi or lidl has cheap netbooks in.

Reply to
Elder

It's fun for about 5 minutes, then the novely wears off.

Reply to
SteveH

5 minutes fun is another 5 minutes fun though. Better than another 5 minutes of boredom, usenet and crap primetime TV.

And you can always use the netbook for other things afterwards.

Reply to
Elder

Hmm - worth a try. The software I have needs the hardware coded OBD-II dongle, but works pretty well.

As for additional gauges - well maybe. Better use for logging information as most desktop applications can log more than PDA applications. PDAs rule for OBD-II logging as they're small and portable.

Speaking of PDAs, have you Latitude'd up your smartphone yet..?

Reply to
DervMan

?
Reply to
Elder

Google's new "spy on your buddies" feature. Scary when Tim Kemp sends me a message to ask if I am going to Starbucks or whatever.

Reply to
DervMan

Just added it. Looks kind of cool.

Reply to
Elder

What's your email address and I'll add you! ;-)

Reply to
DervMan

That's my home address I've added you to, but I'll need to add you to my work one, because I used my work on my phone.

Reply to
Elder

Well we're both logged in now and I know where you claim to be...

-- The DervMan

DervMan

Yup, and you when you show as being on. I bet Park lane isn't as glamorous a it sounds.

Reply to
carl.robson