Oil change

Just had an oil change and was wondering what oil people use, The garage put Castrol Magnatec in, is this oil ok?

I think its Semi Synthetic but I'm not 100% sure as I cant find out any litrature.

btw I paid £40.00 inc filter change and 4.1litres of oil - not bad I thought

Reply to
Ronny

not many garages use castrol magnatec, 4.5L its sold in and cost approx £22, should be fine for u, but next time do it urself, its very easy

Reply to
Theo

Yea but, he only paid like, £10 for labour once you include the cost of the filter and oil, worth it for not crawling under the car and un-doing the sump plug, then waiting for a few hours whilst the warm engine oil drips out, bearing in mind its DAMN cold outside - and Ronny been a IT Professional with an Audi can probly well afford the necessary tenner :)

So, i don't think a tenner is bad for saving yourself the hassle of getting the oil, and the effort of being arsed to do the oil yourself :)

Reply to
Dan405

My old man has an Audi which tells you when it needs a service, supposedly by measuring stuff like oil viscosity and water content (it's roughly 20,000 miles a time). Anyway, the nearest Audi dealership charge about £30/Litre for fully synthetic 0W30 at servicetime, Halfrauds charge about £30 for 4.5 litres and motor factors even less if you buy a lot.

Changing oil really is a piece of piss, but when you get old and frail like Ronny (c; its worth it to have some other bugger crawl around and get dirty. You've then got to get rid of the old oil somehow which can be messy and a PITA (assuming you dont just pour it down the nearest drain, you cad)

Sounds to me like you got a reasonable deal Ron.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yeah its not so much I CBA its more having to remove the skid Pan, that huge plastic thing.

I will change the plugs/air filter/pollen filter myself.

40 quid I thought was a nice price, and ive been putting it off for like 15k miles.

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

Why on earth would he do it himself ?

If his oil-filter costs a tenner, then that's £32 for the Magnatec and the Filter. That means the cost of the garage doing it for you, is £8.

I dunno about you, but I've got better things to do with my time than scrabbling under the car for the sake of eight pounds !

Reply to
Nom

Given the number of reports of damaged drain plugs and leaking oil filters I'm not sure I'd trust a place that charges only 8 quid to change the oil. Nor would I trust them to actually use decent parts or even the oil they say they're using.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I got the can in the boot of my car, they also noted that a securing lug was missing on the sump panel, and replaced it with a tie wrap, untill my next service when they will order one in.

I would say its great service, and the fact they are next door to me means that they will be getitng my buisness in future.

Magnatex costs the public 22 quid i think, but trade I would imagine £15.00

  • 5 quid for the fiter + vat I would say he charged 10 - 15 quid labour, unlike an Audi dealer who use s**te oil and charge a min of 1 hour labour at £70 quid

Anyone in bristol who wants a cheap oil change, ill let you know the name of the garage :)

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

who is it?

Reply to
Theo

Well, one of 'em will be called Jim.

Reply to
Dan405

Err, if they're using a quality oil at a discount price they'll be buying it in bulk. And your car takes exactly one can of oil?

So you think only a main dealer would use 's**te' oil? I'd say it's rather more unlikely given they have more to loose than just one customer. Not saying it doesn't happen, though.

Think I'll carry on doing my own given the time taken to get there. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Left the card at home but its here in Staple hill, behind my building, only a small unit

Reply to
Ronny

Personally I can change my oil and filter using the OEM filter and a fully synthetic oil for less than £20.

-- James

Reply to
James

I forgot until Saturday how dire oil changes are.

Even bought one of those special tray/can things to put under the car to catch the oil and conveniently turn into a can for delivery to the local recycling facility.

However the oil came out far too quickly and spilled over the edges and all over the space infront of the garage door.

Ended up rolling around on the floor in used engine oil. Took a shower afterwards using washing up liquid. My skin still hasn't forgiven me.

Next time I'm off to a garage to get it done. As long as they don't suck it out of the dipstick hole!!

Reply to
Fishman19

That's a bit of a harsh thing to call yourself :)

Reply to
Lordy

Yes - I discovered that after changing to synthetic on the old Rover. It worked ok with 20/50, though. So I now use an old washing up basin and drain that into the special tray thing. Then transfer the old oil to the container the new stuff came in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yep.

From clean drain, my Saab takes exactley four litres. Slightly less for a drain and fill (filter changed every second change, oil every 3k filter every 6k).

Halfords/Castrol etc all do 5 litre cans. Chevron do 4 litre full synth cans. a 5 litre leaves me a little bit over even after topping up. Chevron does the job wonderfully, and is £10 for 4 litres at Costco.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

magnatec is 4.5l

Reply to
Theo

So perfect for a 4 litre capacity change, and a bit left over in the can in Ronny's boot then :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo