old merc 300 diesels

any good? was going through the records at work and we get these at work now and then for between £1-2k depending on millege. 3 litre lump is pretty pokey from ones i've moved round the yard and it seems they will run a diesel veg mix if i can be arsed with all that.

i thought for that kinda money they might be worth a look? be auto of course. or is there something bad that goes pop on these like E36 BM's? might as well ask and take note for once hehe

Reply to
Vamp

W124? They're pretty good, but they old-school diesels and as such not as good on fuel as more modern cars.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

and not good means what? really really bad or kinda bad?

Reply to
Vamp

Modern 3l diesels are more powerful for starters. The 250D I had was using about 7-8l/100km (can't be arsed to convert this to imperial), the

300 should be using between 7-10l/100km.

So, "not that bad"

Reply to
Timo Geusch

It's weird to see someone over here using l/100km and needing to convert to mpg. rather than the other way around.

FWIW the other day I was looking at some economy figures (for a new shape petrol sprinter, which really won't surprise some of you) and did the basic maths, and more importantly remembered it, so all you lot remember this:

To convert from l/100km to mpg (proper gallons, british ones) - it's [282.5 / the l/100km figure].

Reply to
AstraVanMan