On the Diesel V Petrol debate...

I would seriously love to find a nice big Diesel V8 (something from a greyhound bus like they use in monster trucks)

Mid mount it in a nice spaceframe chassis (Something a little bigger than a lotus elise/VX220) and give it the turbo/supercharger combination to maximise torque all through the rev range.

I bet it could do some wonderful things.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Mid mount it in a nice spaceframe chassis (Something a little bigger than a lotus elise/VX220) and give it the turbo/supercharger combination to maximise torque all through the rev range.

I bet it could do some wonderful things.

stop giving me ideas here

theres already been a perkins derv powered E30 :)

Reply to
Rob

I'm thinking 6->8 litres running in a chassis weighing arround 750-

800kgs (reliant robin weight).

Bit like the guy who built the rover V8 powered reliant pro-street kitten.

But build it from scratch to looky sporty and handle well.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

What perkins engine was that? I know you mentioned it a while back but I can't remember.

My Maestro van (that I'm still not using yet due to being too lazy to sell the Fiesta) has got an excellent 2.0 DI lump in it, that could have a lot of potential when the body rusts away (which hopefully is a long way off yet).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

But if you turbo'd and fitted the same size petrol engine, it would be better.

Reply to
Dan405

Define better (have we been here before? :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That was the whole point.

I reckon with low down grunt, and a pretty good top end, it would make a excellent trackday motor.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

You could just go super light and fit the VW 2L 210bhp 330lbs/ft TDi from the Mk5 golf cup car.

Reply to
Depresion

I still remember the Paxman VP185-powered dragster that somebody built while I was at uni. Can't seem to find any info on it now though :-(

Andy

Reply to
Andy Tucker

That would be like the VX/Elise based EcoSpeedster from a couple of years ago.

I was thinking more along the diesel supercar that you could afford to run type thing. Maybe even an NA W12 from a Taureg/Phaeton

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hmm I bet you could get more than 400bhp out of the 5L V10 TDi the standard

313PS can't be the best the engine can do. Having had a quick look superchips will take it up to 356bhp & 855Nm. About the same bhp as a Chevrolet V8 5.7L V8 H.O. but twice the torque.
Reply to
Depresion

More powerful, with as much if not more torque. You're building an insane track car here remember, diesel has no benefit.

Reply to
Dan405

Oh why not got he whole hog and get one of the Gardner diesels that were fitted to Hunter/Killer subs? A straight sixteen with a supercharger with a manual clutch.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What is the power to weight ratio of a 6 litre diesel engine? How does it compare to a good small petrol engine? (like the one used in the caterham r500)?

"Sporty", "handle well", you're going to have a huge monster with an 8 litre engine in it!!!

Reply to
scott

What sort of MPG did they get?

Reply to
Depresion

Now we are thinking. V10 is good.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Would a Cummins V8 truck engine do you?:

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

One of your better ideas ;)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Arround the middle of the car. if you design and build the car to take that sort of weight from the start, you can make the suspension work surprisingly well, have brakes that would haul it down, and have it handle too.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo