On the subject of septics with guns.

This is just insane, yet strangely I like it.

Elder

This goes beyond useful surely?

Elder

Load it with rifled sabot slugs, you'd effectively have a hand-held 50 calibre autocannon...

Reply to
Abo

Fascinating, but grim all the same.

Mate, if I was a soldier, I'd not complain if I was handed one!

Reply to
conkersack

If I were a soldier I won't want it: any idea how much such a gun weighs? How much the ammo weighs? Range? 200 m? Give me a FAL (7.62), FNC (5.56) of if close combat in wanted a featherlight P90 at any time.

I clearly remember our instructor asking: "Who want to be MAG-gunner?"

Some dumbass volonteered and was handed the MAG and the spare barrel. The extra barrel alone was 18 kg... I was happy with my FNC (at 4.7 kg), war-ammo was 5 kg extra.

The rapid-fire guns are impressive, a gattling firing at a car 50 m away makes cheese of it. But in real life a sniper who knows his job shootes once from 400-600 m and there is one dead or heavily injured person. Vietnam-scores were 1 enemy killed required 25.000 bullets...

Just to conclude: Minini (a very good 5.56 submachinegun): we fired it a targets standing 300 m from us on full auto. 250 bullets are gone in less than 2 minutes (1 tracer, 1 armor piercing, 1 incendary)... number of hits at 300 m? 20 to 30 for the best of us.

But if you fired your FNC with the same ammo, 250 shots at 300 m were

250 hits.

Been at the paratroopers, later in an Engineering Corps. I like the Engineering corps much more: you drove around instead of walking (running actually) and firing a .50 from an armored personal carrier is fun too (and once again: you don't have to carry 300-400 kg of ammo)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Spot the edit?!

Reply to
conkersack

What you really want is a spudgun.

Reply to
conkersack

Maybe... but if all were to redo: airforce.

The love for crawling in dirt, camping at -15 celsius, speedmarches over

50 km fully packed loose out against something like a Fighting Falcon.

A 2000 lbs bomb beats 4 aces, probably even 8 aces!

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

It's for FIBUA isnit. Sort of thing one bloke in a squad would carry.

Reply to
Doki