One for tom de moor

Though he's disappeared...

Clive George

He'll still be reading, just not posting. Same as .... what was his name again? Thingy... um... bought an Alfa and the selespeed box imploded exactly as we predicted.

At least TdM had a clue.

Reply to
Pete M

I miss Tom. He was one of the rare people on usenet who actually knew what he was talking about.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Damn, missed that :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Yeah, me too.

Reply to
Elder

Even if he went about telling you the wrong way. And he still owes me a case of beer ;)

Reply to
Elder

Pete M

Bugger, he isn't having much luck at the moment is he.

Reply to
Elder

ITYM he was one of the rare people who agreed with the crap you spout.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't remember this group being so narky before. Anyway, I did a mod today....well, not really....I discovered the trick for stopping older cars steaming up/condensation/misting - and it works - a sock full of rice. My Mk2 Golf leaks like a bastard so this has been a real PITA for me recently. Obviously the real trick would be to stop it leaking in the first place....

Reply to
tomScotland

I don't mind who he agreed or disagreed with, I enjoyed reading what he had to say.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

How long does the sock full of rice work for? Can you refresh it by drying it out?

My 106 seems to leak like a bastard. Water was coming in through the roof for a bit, but a swift bead of bathroom sealant saw to that.

The driver's door seal is now my principle suspect. I've just been putting an old towel in the footwell and drying it out periodically.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Well it worked a treat last night, but today I've been on a 20-mile round trip and on looking out I can see the car is misted up to f*ck again, however, I'll give it a chance to work overnight and see whats what in the morning. Apparently, you can just bring it in and dry it on a radiator now and again and keep using it. I've got one on the dash and one on the parcel shelf, so, we'll see. My golf leaks like a bastard too, I've replaced the door membranes, cleaned the scuttle of leaves etc, checked drain-holes, you name it. Maybe door seals are the next option?

Reply to
tomScotland

I've bought a 'sock' full of stuff for the TVR and it seems to work pretty well. It's called Air Dry and you just velcroe it wherever you want to put it. After a couple of months when it's saturated you put it on the radiator for a bit to dty it out and use it again. OK, it costs more than a sock of rice, but to be honest it probably looks a lot better than an old sock on your dash!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Mustard mitt, I feel a bit guilty about giving TdM a bit of shit. He just got all Belgian one day, and we can't be having that.

Reply to
Pete M

Probably achieved his dream of exceeding 300mph on the public highway and is now spending the rest of his forseeable life in a Labour High Security Prison for Very, Very Naughty Motorists.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Trappiste Beer. Chocolate. Cheap tobacco (not that I smoke). It's on the way to Holland.

Reply to
fishman

S'OK.

Belgian chocolate is vile. Greasy snot.

Me neither but it's not especially cheap. Belgians drive to Luxembourg to buy tobacco and fuel.

That's another thing to hate the place for. Without Belgium Holland might fall into the sea.

It's on the way to Alsace for me, and that's about the best that I can say for it. When we drive into Belgium I raise the windows and keep driving until I get to Luxembourg where I can fill the tank for a reasonable price.

Belgium is full of people who piss and shit in the street. If you go to a good restaurant in Belgium on a Friday night, the Belgians will queue up to piss on the restaurant windows. That was my abiding memory of Namur. Oh, and the blokes with Belgian registration plates on their cars who filled the car with fuel while pissing on the petrol pump. Seems to be a national weakness of the bladder.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah, he was pretty educated when it came to all things automotive.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston