Oo-err missus...

Just been perusing the Ford Mondeo Owners Club (yes there is one) forums.

Apparently I can modchip my 2L TDCi 130 and get over 155BHP with no other mods or 175BHP with a little messing. The 2.2L 155BHP can be taken to oevr 220, thrashing a Mondeo ST220 because of the higher torque.

They already come with 244ft/lb torque and it doesn't half haul arse up the local 1 in 6 hill already so I hate to think what it'd be if I chipped it. They're designed to overboost by 10% on short acceleration stints such as overtaking so it's given the wifes' 180BHP FTO a run for its money.

And despite "Testing the vehicles' capabilities", the trip meter shows

50MPG on a 85 mile run.
Reply to
Conor

TD ? Turbo weasel?

Does this have the same black-smogcloud problem as the other TD badge- Jags when you clog it, especially when you've fiddled with the chip?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not as much as these nutters I bet:

Abo

Yes and yes.

Claimed. Tweaks to ~190 ish without issue.

Depends on how else you've been driving - but despite the rants various about the Passat TDI being all things to all men, ever, that TDCi donk shows VAG the way home.

All in my opinion of course...

Reply to
DervMan

Could that be because they bought it in from the masters of diesel design [1], by any chance?

[1] PSA group.
Reply to
SteveH

??????

The Germans do diesel better - BMW power, Mercedes refinement, VW economy.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

agreed! my fave diesel has to be a BM or a Merc. the BM 3 litre is wicked and the merc 3.2 is nice too! although i still love the volvo D5 also for a cheaper alternative. VW's 1.9 is only fun in a golf i find.

Reply to
Vamp

Except that they didn't.

The 2.0/2.2 TDCI in the 2001-2007 Mondeo is entirely designed by Ford. It's not at all related to the 2.0/2.2 engine found in later Ford models, PSA passenger models and Land Rover models.

There's a bit of a tedious story behind this. Basically, back in the mid 90s, it was decided that the 2000MY Transit programme needed a new diesel engine to replace the (very) long-in-the tooth 2.5 DI 'York' engine. This engine programme was known as 'Puma' (confusing I know - given that Ford also produced a car at the same time called Puma). Puma was initally designed in 2.0 and 2.4 capacities, and launched with the 2000MY Transit. It was an entirely in-house design.

Shortly after the Transit programme started, the 2001MY Mondeo programme began. Given that a new 2.0 DI diesel engine was available within the company, it made sense to drop this into the Mondeo to replace the ageing 1.8 Endura-DE unit. Work started during the Mondeo programme to install common-rail injection to the engine, but it was clear that this wouldn't be ready in time for the launch of the new Mondeo, so the Mondeo was launched with the 2.0 engine as a 115PS TDDI unit.

Work on the common rail 2.0 (and an update to the Endura-DE to install common-rail and work on a V6 diesel engine for Jaguar) was already well underway when Ford and PSA created a joint venture in 1999 to share diesel technology on future engine programmes. At the time, PSA was already well advanced with their DW10 and DW12 2.0 and 2.2 diesel engines, while Ford had their Puma 2.0 TDCI in the wings.

It made sense for Ford to continue developing Puma, as the cost of re- engineering the Mondeo to accept the PSA engines was entirely unjustified. Puma TDCI originally launched in a 130PS flavour, with a

2.2 155PS variant coming later. At the same time, the Endura-DI was re- launched as Lynx, in 115PS form. This slotted straight into the Focus to replace the existing engine. Transit continued to use the Puma engine, and the Jaguar X-Type was also launched with Puma given the origins of its platform.

The Lion V6 Diesel engine programme was slightly modified to take some packaging constraints from PSA, and as a result PSA have supply of the Lion V6 engine from Ford. In return, Ford had access to PSA's DV4 and DV6 1.4 and 1.6 diesels.

About a year ago, Ford and PSA rationalised their engines slightly. The PSA 2.0 and 2.2 DW10 and DW12 units were designated as units for future passenger cars (and are now installed in the Focus, New Mondeo, Galaxy, S-Max and Land Rover Freelander on the Ford side of things). The more robust chain-driven cam Puma engine was agreed as a unit for future commercial vehicles from Ford and PSA (and is found in old Mondeo, X-Type, Transit, Land Rover Defender and some large PSA vans)

In short, the 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 and 3.2 5-cyl in the old Mondeo, X-Type, Defender and Transit, along with the 1.8 in the Focus, new Mondeo, S- Max and Galaxy and the 2.7V6 / 3.6V8 in Jaguar/Land Rover/PSA models are all more or less entirely Ford-designed, and the 1.4, 1.6 and all other 2.0 and 2.2 units are PSA's work.

Sorry to sound a bit of an anorak. Having worked on the Lion V6/V8 programme myself I tend to know a fair bit more about these things than most people.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Merc refinement is *very* good. I take it though that you've never driven something powered by the Ford Lion V6/V8 engine (particularly the XJ or Range Rover). It beats the Merc units (albeit only slightly) on refinement.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Heh, I love it when facts get in the way of soft-touch boy and his arguments.

Nice one, Andy.

Reply to
Pete M

I was fairly sure the metal work (i.e. construction) of the TDCi's and the

2.7 V6 was done by Ford, then they rang up Mr PSA and said "can we borrow your know-how on the fuelling side of things please?"

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

PSA were consulted in a limited capacity on the implementation of common rail on the 2.0 Puma and 1.8 Lynx units, but to be honest Delphi were the main consultant on the fuelling. The Lion V6/V8 engines were virtually entirely Ford in-house designs, with Ford's Dunton, Aachen and Whitley centres doing most of the work. This time, Delphi had a hand, but not as much as with the earlier engines. PSA provided only packaging constraints.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Was the 1.4TDCI known as the "Pussy" ?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Because it gets licked by the competition?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's points one way or the other in my opinion. It isn't totally fair to compare most German diesels with most French diesels because there are other reasons why you may prefer the German (or I suppose French) car. Cheapest

407 diesel is ~£16,500 list for the 1.6, cheapest 318d is just over £23,000 as I recall.

You could buy the Mini Diesel One for just over £14,000, which has the same donk as the 407... :)

The S-Type diesel is remarkably refined, it's a quieter donk than even the latest Mercedes 3.0 units. Its output isn't as high (~120 lbsft / litre as I recall) though.

Reply to
DervMan

*spit cough gag*

Damn never eat in front of a notebook! :)

Reply to
DervMan

*shrugs*

I note that only Andy knew I was wrong on this one, 'cos he, ISTR, works / worked for Ford.

It's pretty common knowledge that Ford usually have to buy in engines, 'cos they have a piss-poor record of designing their own ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Andy beat me to it, but basically,

heh.

Reply to
DervMan

I think it was more that no one else really cared :-)

Reply to
Iridium

is yours very noisy on tickover?

james

(i mean very noisy, like for example, if you were sat at customs in Dover next to an 'N' plate diesel shogun and you couldn't hear his engine over yours?)

Reply to
john doe