Ooh yeah, we're modding.

Washer pump went on my 106 a while back.

Replaced it with one from a breakers yard. They originally tried to charge me more than a new one but thats another story.

The new (to me) one conked out in the recent wet weather here in NE Scotland so I decided to investigate.

The car's had some sort of knock to the NSF as I can see the wing's off a scrapper and there is some red overspray on the NS headlight.

The PO (or someone) has scotchloked in a couple of spade connectors to fit a washer pump the car's loom didn't have the correct pump for.

Scotchloks - Gah!

Out comes my multimeter. +12v and -12v are duly supplied to the spade connectors. Must be the pump again.

I spent an afternoon stripping the 2 pumps I had, prising apart the casings and rubbing rusty bits with wet and dry and cleaning up the commutators.

To no avail. The pumps still don't work on the car. In despair, I wire them up to a cordless drill battery and they work fine. Seems the spades on the car will provide enough electricities to excite the meter but not enough to power a pump.

I butcher the crappier looking of the 2 pumps and bodge it to make it make contact with the terminals in the old forlorn connector on the car that doesn't fit. The pump works beautifully.

I went to the Scrappy on my way home armed with a pair of sidecutters and scoured all 106s, Saxos, 206s, Xsaras and likely looking Renaults for a washer pump with the same connector as my car.

No such pump exists. Not even on a 106 the same year and colour as mine.

Undeterred, and having been an owner of French tat before, I cut a connector the same as the 2 pumps I already have off a 206 and took the pump with me for good measure.

£2 lighter I rallied home, picking up some heatshrink cable sheathing on the way.

I cut off the old connector and the Scotchloks, then cut the loom back to where the conductor wasn't too black.

A soldering iron, wirestrippers and judicious use of a hairdryer (kept in the boot of the MX-5 you understand) later I had quite a professional looking bodge and a working washer pump.

After a quick lesson in polarity I even had the switch operating the wash/wipe on the correct end of the car.

Well done me. Is this a mod?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

+12v & Ground surely? or the total voltage across the cables is 24v.

Yes, congratulate yourself with a pat on the back.

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

On par with me fitting Toyota Celica headlamp washer pump and even a lamp washer jet to a Nissan.

Or the amstat printer switch and leds as an engine check code system.

Or the bust BOC O2 gauge as a boost gauge. Had to put a nail though the flame trap gauze it was sealed with solder after some idiot student had wafted the torch over it. Then move the pointer to show

15psi. (25psi = 10psi boost, 5psi = 10psi vac)

Or the 4 resistors including a variable resistor (is this climate control?) spliced in to recalibate the air con thermo amp thermistor.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Ah yes, sorry. To work the front skooshers the pump works one way and to work the rear the pump runs in reverse. There are 2 terminals in the connector. Multimeter showed 12v and -12v when operating front/rear wash switches and 0v when both were activated at once.

Sorry, my Electrical terminology isn't up to much and I didn't investigate very far but you are probably right. One will be a switched

+12v and -12v depending on the switch which is activated and the other will be a ground.

To be fair, it is French. So it's possible that the engine drives a pump which builds a head of water in the headlining to drive a pair of hydro-electric generators, one for each windscreen. This sounds a bit sensible though. I blame the Citroen rationalisation influence.

How ever it works, it seems to work as it should so I am satisfied.

Noted.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Couldn't you just fit a new thermistor?

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Rad, dude!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ah yes, I did the rad in February. In another demonstration of drunken construction communism the new one, from a Peugeot dealer, bought using my VIN number and everything, came with a screw fittng for the cap and no new cap. The old cap was a sort of quarter turn affair and didn't fit the new Rad.

John McScrap fitted me out with a cap off a Laguna for free. Seemingly its the same thread as the brake fluid reservoir. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Are you sure that the rear washer doesn't work via some sort of osmosis ?

I unmodded the Golf after "a quick word" with East Kilbride's Finest" regarding the legality of my tacky fake kraut plates.

They had a point to be fair. I would also like to plead right now that "it wisnae me" that fitted them in the first place.

I also unmodded the burst fuel regulator vacuum hose off the inlet manifold.

You're right up there with the modding aristocracy.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

"Bob Sherunckle" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yeh, yeh, yeh - and they haven't heard that before...

Thames Valley & Herts plods certainly heard it from me when I had French plates on my CXs... Not, of course, that it was in the _slightest_ bit true in either case...

RichardK may also remember the set of plates that I brought with me on purchasing a certain non-taxed/MOT'd XM...

All of the preceding may, of course, be thoroughly fictional.

Reply to
Adrian

No, not even French glass is capable of rusting to that level.

I know of someone who lives in Wales who bought 'euro look' plates for his Alfa 75.

Unmodded it with an unburst hose?

There are loads of vacuum powered emissions control gubbins on my Peugeot. Systematically disconnecting them has made it much more 'tractorable'. Ah, I see there's a thread about that now.

Very kind of you to say.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Not sure if it's the thermistor or the thermo amp. I don't have spec for the thermistor and as it's encapsulated in a shrink jacket it's likely to lose any marking in the removal, or I'll find it's been sanded off [1]. The thermistor is wired into the thermo amp and not on a plug. The thermo amp is £105 (quote 10 years ago) about the size of PP9 battery and is potted in solid rubber. It's the one bit of electronics on the whole car that is potted. Dim-dip unit, headlamp motor timer, power window timers, door lock timer, headlamp/screen wash timer, wiper control, aerial control, ECU are all easy to open and inspect. Tells me there's less than £5 worth of stuff in the thermo amp and they are hiding it.

[1] one of the most foul tricks I've ever seen - it was clearly a simple commercial chip in something that cost a bomb but nothing to make.
Reply to
Peter Hill

You rule!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Good story. Did I ever tell you lot about the time I replaced my MK2 golf headlamp lens (well the inner one on the quad lamp models) with the bottom of a Robinson's cordial bottle? Perfect fit and from a distance you'd never know :)

Reply to
fishman