Ooops!

When cleaning the inside of the car, be aware that triggering the central locking on the driver's arm rest whilst the door whilst the door is open and then getting out, closing the door behind you locks the only key you have in the car......

Not that I've done this, oh no.

AA reckon they'll be here in an hour.

*ARSE*
Reply to
SteveH

In news:1gpnxrc.1vbaft71mv7gauN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Muppet!

Reply to
Pete M

Lol Steve, you been messing with them new keys :)

Reply to
Ronny

*claps* break a window mate.
Reply to
Mason

Not yet. VW dealer seem incapable of ordering the metal bits, they tell me I have the wrong key......

Reply to
SteveH

you need to go in and explain that you, in fact, have the right key and that the only issue is that *they* have the wrong education :o)

HTH

Mason

Reply to
Mason

LMFAO! sorry but that's a classic, see if you had a so called "jap crap" Mk1 MR2 or even a MKII a coat hanger would sort things :)

Reply to
Vamp

As it happens, a long bit of wire and a couple of wedges sorted it.

This is only because I hadn't deadlocked it, though.

Now, must sort out some spare keys. Need a friendly VAG dealer, not the bunch of tossers down the road from me, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Not on Ford products.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Further playing around reveals this is only possible if it's the passenger door that's open. Very unusual and freak sequence of events.

Reply to
SteveH

LOL, almost as bad as my mate. Cold frosty morning. Starts car on drive to warm it up (messed with Corsa). Insurance insist on a cat one alarm as he declared the mods he had made (wheels decent tyres, stainless exhaust, mirrors, and induction kit). Just the door open ajar, and nips in to get his work bag. Comes out the find that the wind/passing truck/act of god had pushed the door fully shut, and the anti car jack system had locked the door after 10 seconds of driving. goes and gets second set of keys.

Remote works but the alarm automatically resets to on again straight away as there is a transponder in and the engine is running, so the alarm gets confused.

Tries to open the door with spare key. Alarm sounds, but door won't unlock. Switches off alarm, the alarm switches off, but the engine doesn't die, and the doors don't unlock. Tries resetting the alarm. It sets but sounds immediatley. Car is still running. Calls the installer who fitted the alarm. "No mate, no way to bypass it, need to break a window". Calls breakdown. Yeah mate can be with you in 2 hours, car still running on drive engine getting hotter.

3 hours it took breakdown to arrive, I don't know if they did break it or managed to pop the lock, but it took them a couple more hours he reckons, and they tried everything before getting in without sounding the alarm, so I reckon, even though doesn't admit to stupidity, they broke the window to get in.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Ah yes, I remember that from wifey's old Polo.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bloody design fault if you ask me. Mind you, most people will have a spare key......

£150 from a VAG dealer, ffs! They won't order me a metal key 'blade' to fit the switchblade remotes I bought from ebay either.

So that's their chances of doing the £400 major service (with cambelt) blown, then.

Idiots. But I knew that about VAG dealers already.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeh, good move IMO. The Honda dealers locally are way better than the VW dealers. The VW dealer is out of the ark, filthy waiting area (worse than KwikFit) and staff who know nothing/don't give a toss. I was so glad when we got shot of the Golf TDi estate, because at least it meant never, ever having to go to a VW dealer again.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I wish that happened to everyone who wakes me up by leaving their car running for ages in the mornings...

Can you stall an engine without doing any damage by blocking the exhaust? I always stop the engine on my RC car by putting my thumb over the exhaust pipe, but it's 2 stroke and probably 100x simpler than a real car engine.

Reply to
scott

In news:FyCBd.274$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, scott decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Right, so you'd rather people drove for the first mile or two blind? Nuts to that, learn to sleep!.

Yes, you can stop the engine.

As for damage, if I caught you trying to insert a spud up the tailpipe of any of my cars, I couldn't be held responsible for any damage caused ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

Errr, no I'd like them to clean their windows, then start the engine and drive off. Actually it's only diesel cars right outside my window that wake me up, or ones that scrape the ice off while their engine is running that annoy me.

:-) No I meant if Carl's mate needed to stop the engine and didn't have access to the inside, would it cause any damage to the cat or anything if he just blocked the pipe?

Reply to
scott

i have remote start on mine which is good for the cold mornings and the air con gets the mist of the windows well quick too :) although keeping it in the garage helps i find.

i myself wouldn't be so dumb, i never leave my car keys in the car incase the so called cleaver alarm decides to lock things! although with the turbo timer i can grab the keys go into the house and out again without the engine having to shut off :)

Reply to
Vamp

In news:DxDBd.375$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, scott decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I leave mine running for a couple of minutes if it's icy. Just long enough to scrape the ice off the outside. Heaters are wonderful things, and I hate wiping the inside of windows.

Reply to
Pete M

So long as it's not diesel :-)

Can't you pour water over the windows instead? It's much less effort than scraping, especially when the ice is thick.

Reply to
scott