Oops, that could have been expensive.

On the way home last night (about half past eleven) the road I normally take was closed for road works so I take a detour up another road I haven't been on for about a week. Joined the road and accelerate upto 60 as normal then pass a new repeater at the side of the road with 40 on it. Next thing is I'm slowing down (rather quickly without using the brakes) and thinking "when the hell did this become 40?" All the while keeping 1/2 an eye one the white car with a light bar and police written on it in my mirrors. Why that road is now a 40 I don't know it's been a 60 for years without accidents

Reply to
Depresion

In news:l2kze.1586$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net, Depresion decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Money, screwing motorists, more money, paying for the Police ball.

HTH

Reply to
Pete M

Whereabouts is this road? Some areas are worse than others for this. Send info to

they might publish it on their site.

Ben

Reply to
Mr Benny

ISTR the speed limits are done by the council planning department and reflect a change of perceived use. E.g. they're planning to put a school here, or end a bus drop there, and so on.

The police would basically be there to make people notice the speed limit has changed, primarily.

I'd feel hard done by if they had me while I was slowing down to the new limit, but not if I hadn't noticed the signs.

Reply to
Questions

I don't think they were there for the speed limit change just on late night patrol (it's close to a local 24h Tosco where it's common to see the police pop in for a snack). Still it's a shame about the road as it has a fantastic sweeping bend with an elevation change so at 60 (never faster you understand) you feel like you are really moving despite still having bags of grip.

Reply to
Depresion

How are /you/ in a position to say it has had no accidents ?

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Years of local knowledge.

Reply to
Depresion

rotflmao. Seriously, that's funny :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Can you provide any evidence of accidents on the road in question in the last 10 years? Please provide links if you can.

Reply to
Depresion

You've not mentioned what road it is...

Reply to
doki

he must know to make his comments with such certainty.

Reply to
Depresion

I don't need to. as a) I don't know which road you are talking about and b) common sense negates that, seeing as you are the one stating there are no accidents there, then *you* need to provide evidence that there are no accidents on the road.

Don't get me wrong - you are probably right, but to make such a judgement is stupid - are you standing there 24hours a day guarding the entire stretch of tarmac ??? :)

You could travel the road twice a day, going to work and back in the morning and afternoon and still miss accidents that happened during the day and have been cleaned up.

More importantly, when they make these kind of changes, they do actually use accidents to justify it, even if only a couple of old ones.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I don't need to know which road it is. What I do know are three things;

  1. You are not there 24 hours a day.
  2. The road limit has been lowered.
  3. Lowered limits normally use accident stats to justify themselves.

Ergo, there is substantial enough evidence that there *have* been accidents, whereas your claim is nothing but an opinion.

Like I said tho, you're probably right. But you aren't looking at it very objectively.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

No but I follow local road safety quite actively (through frends in local police and insurnace brokers) especially after a drunk driver 2 weeks after passing his test fell of a straight section of road and 5 speed cameras were put up to stop it happening again. I guess there is the posibility of a serious accedent where the brokers wern't involved and the police weren't called.

Normaly? Maybe 20 years ago now they seem to pick them out of a hat if any road should have it's limmit cut it's the 40 zone past 2 schools where there have been several accedents over the past 10 years. (But that's just in a different area so different people have controll)

PMSL Do you think you would get anywhere with that "evidence" in a court of law?

Reply to
Depresion

You are asking me to prove a negative, a virtually impossible task. Maybe they are planning more changes to the road, maybe they aren't only time will tell.

Reply to
Depresion

I don't need to, this is not a court of law.

I also said "substantial enough" implying that it was not directly evidence per se, but tangible enough to over-ride your personal opinion.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Bollocks, it's exactly the same as asking me to prove there /are/ accidents on the road :)

The number is different, the request is the same.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

So now not only are you aware of what happens on this road 24 hours a day 365 days a year, you are now aware of every little fact that passes through the police and insurance.

And you don't see why I find this funny ?

Yes, I used to work for my local council remember.

That's 'work', as in actually being there and being involved in the process. Which is something completely different to having a personal opinion or having friends who have friends who once knew someone's brothers counsins wife who read something in a newspaper once.

Quality sometimes overrides quantity.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

No but I do have a fair idea, I know you are incapable of even keeping track of the colour of items you sell on Ebay so I guess the idea of actually paying attention to the world around is foreign to you.

Reply to
Depresion

All you need do is find a single reference to an accident, I'd have to show every paper for the last 10 years so you can read them to find no evidence of the none existent accidents.

Reply to
Depresion