Opinions on high miler BMW 3 series (E46)

Morning'

In the market for an E46, budget =A34-5kish so the ones I'm looking at are a bit leggy.

Anything I should be looking for specifically besides the usual high miler checks .. history etc ...

Are the BMW engines chain or belt driven? Generally reliable if serviced on schedule?

Other cars I'm considering are A4 and Alfa 156 ... same questions go for those I guess too, and any other cars I'm overlooking that I shouldn't be?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers, Adam

Reply to
adamm1977

In the market for an E46, budget £4-5kish so the ones I'm looking at are a bit leggy.

Anything I should be looking for specifically besides the usual high miler checks .. history etc ...

Are the BMW engines chain or belt driven? Generally reliable if serviced on schedule?

Other cars I'm considering are A4 and Alfa 156 ... same questions go for those I guess too, and any other cars I'm overlooking that I shouldn't be?

Thanks in advance!!

I have just bought a 2000X 318 Ci (coupe) for £6k with 85k on the clock. This is the M42 1.9l engine chain cam engine. A 6 would have been nice, but they *can* (not do) exhibit either headgasket problems at highish mileages which I would rather not risk at this end of the market when history can be abit patchy.

The only thing I have noticed is although the chain is silent when running, a hot restart after 20+mins gives a chain rattle for 1/2 second whilst oil pressure builds- this may be down to it needing an oil change, or it may be slightly worn, or it may be "how they are".

Auto boxes are known for dying (cos there is no fluid change interval specified) Make sure you buy an manual, especially with the 4 potter. Otherwise, for 118bhp, its surprisingly pokey for a heavyish car, and 35mpg in mixed use.

Check carefully for knocking from the rear and strange handling behaviour which is a sign of knackered rear subframe bushes or worse, broken mountings.

Check the heater fan works, and the climate control display works.

The standard tiny looking 16" wheels are probably the best choice for running costs.

See honest john's site for more info.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In the market for an E46, budget £4-5kish so the ones I'm looking at are a bit leggy.

Anything I should be looking for specifically besides the usual high miler checks .. history etc ...

Are the BMW engines chain or belt driven? Generally reliable if serviced on schedule?

Other cars I'm considering are A4 and Alfa 156 ... same questions go for those I guess too, and any other cars I'm overlooking that I shouldn't be?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers, Adam

Don't bother with high mileage just to drive in a car with a specific badge - unless it is being given away. The repair bills for the Alfa will be out of this world, BMW fairly high also. High mileage means worn out.

Reply to
john lyon

No. Just... just no.

Reply to
conkersack

In the market for an E46, budget £4-5kish so the ones I'm looking at are a bit leggy.

Anything I should be looking for specifically besides the usual high miler checks .. history etc ...

Are the BMW engines chain or belt driven? Generally reliable if serviced on schedule?

Other cars I'm considering are A4 and Alfa 156 ... same questions go for those I guess too, and any other cars I'm overlooking that I shouldn't be?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers, Adam

i love my E46 and paid silly money for it too! not as in bargin more rip off lol

BM's are fairly solid but from experience i'd only buy one again with FSH and low miles too! sadly with your budget that might be a stretch.

if i had £4-5k and was looking at cars with 75k-80k on the clock and wanted RWD i'd get a 200SX cos you can whack the boost and kick a BM's arse, ok maybe not an M3 but defo keep up with a 330.

and cos i get a well good discount on servicing at work on nissan stuff :)

Reply to
Vamp

Points to the example with 125k miles on the drive which has only needed consumables, bar a damaged air-con pipe.

Buy a good one, look after it, and it'll be fine.

Even better, buy a 5-pot 2.4JTD and get something that sounds like a uR Quattro but does 45mpg whilst being totally bulletproof.

Reply to
SteveH

Thought yours was an E36?

Reply to
SteveH

I don't know where this urban myth came from that recent ZF autos are unreliable. A 5 speed and torque convertor for a 328 described as being perfect only made 75 quid on Ebay recently so they can't be in much demand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It depends. If the car has been well maintained with replacements as needed a high mileage 3 Series should hold no fears. The major components have a very long life. The general condition can be assessed before buying

- same as any car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The thing with an Alfa 156 is that, if it makes it to 100k miles, it's unlikely to give any major issues - mainly because it means someone cared enough for it to check the oil every week or two and have the cambelts done early.

The only real weak-points on them are the front suspension bushes, which are more or less a consumable item and the Bosch MAF, which aflicted almost every European brand of the era.

Reply to
SteveH

Since the advent of speed bumps and crap roads in recent years suspension bushes, drop links and other similar parts seem to be consumable items on all cars. And as for MAF sensors, ditto...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Romeo'

Honda VFR800 - Hongdou GY200 - Alfa 75 TSpark

Points to the man with the exception that proves the rule.

Reply to
conkersack

Points to the Alfa NG.....

Reply to
SteveH

In the market for an E46, budget £4-5kish so the ones I'm looking at are a bit leggy.

Anything I should be looking for specifically besides the usual high miler checks .. history etc ...

Are the BMW engines chain or belt driven? Generally reliable if serviced on schedule?

Other cars I'm considering are A4 and Alfa 156 ... same questions go for those I guess too, and any other cars I'm overlooking that I shouldn't be?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers, Adam

I helped my mate sell his step-dads 2000 V plate 323 Coupe on eBay a few months back, went for just over £5k, 70k miles on it, every option, utterley mint with a FBMWSH as well. This doesn't really help, but if you'd wanted one then, you could've had that one :-)

Reply to
Iridium

115K on my '04 147 to date, about £300 of non consumable bits replaced.....
Reply to
cupra

Thanks for all the replies / opinions!!

...I'm not badge fussy, those ones just leapt out as good value and likely to be easy to sell on when the time comes.

Should've mentioned, insurance is an issue so nothing too nuts .. like a 200SX - and the early ones looke like Mondeos.

Must admit I have a very soft spot for the 156 .. just not seen any decent examples of late, they're fairly thin on the ground round here. Had one very briefly earlier this year when my car was off the road ... great runner, would want one with the sport pack next time though!

Cheers, Adam

Reply to
adamm1977

SWMBO's car is a 00/X 318i Touring Auto. Bought it when it was three or four years old with 92k miles, now showing 115k.

Pattern cat was 200ish (Original is ~700), MAF was 150ish IIRC, just bought an A/C final stage resistor (the fan speed control goes nuts and it appears that they all do it eventually - had to replace it on my E39 two years ago) for £45 delivered from eBay.

Apart from that it's never let her down and is as solid as a very solid thing with no creaks, rattles or squeaks.

Reply to
Grant

Trust me, you wouldn't.

They don't actually handle any better, but are hugely less comfortable and eat suspension components even faster than the standard / lusso spec. cars.

They do look the bollocks, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Romeo'

Honda VFR800 - Hongdou GY200 - Alfa 75 TSpark

Yeah, that'll be a representative sample!

Reply to
conkersack

D'oh

Reply to