Opinions on the new breed of coupes

Whats everyones opinion in here of the new breed of sporty coupes??

RX8, 350z, crossfire and the like?

I think the styling has come on (particularly in the case of the nissan) but do you think they cut it as a true sports roadster? Or are the old ones still superior.

I've only managed to drive one out of the four mentioned...the RX8 and while it wass fast, and fun i think the amount of creature comforts de-value the driving experience. it didnt touch the rx7 for sheer grin factor. ( IMO of course). To draw a comparison anyone on here who has found themselves behind the steering wheel of an S2000 will know what I mean. The whole car is designed around driving. not who's extras like aircon,heated seats etc etc......

are the true performance (affordable) cars still the supras MR2's and RX7's or do the new lot measure up?

what do you think?

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Dunno, but I'll say this about the latest MR2s - they're not blisteringly quick (only 140bhp) but not dog slow either, and the handling more than makes up for lack of outright power. Fantastic cars to drive.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

never driven one myself but topgear rated it well. i'm not too keen on the looks TBH it's lost the sportyness of the old Mr2's aimed more at your MX5/MGTF market now

Mason

Reply to
Mason

By whom?

It was an ugly sack of shit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How do you mean particularly in the case of the Nissan - the Nissan is widely ackowledged as being the ugliest of the latest coupés (whereas the S14 Silvia was rather smart, if a little bland).

Well, yes.

It doesn't matter, the old ones aren't available any more - unless you want something crap and old.

The RX7 was turbocharged, the RX8 is torqueless cak in comparison (yes we know it's 'smooth', but who cares :)

I think people who compare new cars to old ones are always going to be disappointed if they think they're going to be as 'raw'.

Reply to
Lordy

TBH i've only ever seen bog standard ones....and one extremely modified american one...

*Googles*

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Yep, looks wise they're not in the same league as the previous ones, though they do look a *lot* better with the standard lip spoiler.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Widly aknowledged by who?? Your cat?

I think it's a gorgeous car, and in my area the exact same is thought of its looks and it's renowed as being very nice indeed (though the goldy/orange colour is a bit iffy). Looks as always, are completely subjective to the individual.

Bah, its smoooooth. Other plus points are it drinks petrol like a 5ltr V12(with half the BHP) and uses oil likes it's leaking it. Though it's certainly on my list of cars to check out in a couple of years excluding those 2 points above, and hoping that depreciation kicks it in the nuts :-) I'd much rather a 350Z but the RX8 looks it may well turn out to be quite affordable(excluding crazy mpg's)...

Another thing that I believe is different for each person. I'd preferably prefer the ride of a newer car that wasn't as raw and twitchy but possibly a little more bland, but thats me and I think cars like the Elise are pointless crap unless you drive ALOT of track days.

Spose you could also consider coupe's pointless crap too...(but I love em:-))

Just get an Impreza??

Reply to
Andy

Me for a start :) not to mention most of the motoring press have commented on it's bulbous looks, even tho they shower praise on most everything else about it.

Note that I said ugliest of the new coupés btw, I didn't say ugly in itself.

It's a bulbous unshapely mound from most angles, not exactly what you'd call gorgeous. Now the Crossfire, on the other hand, is pure eye candy.

I think Elises are crap full stop, hate the damn things. Last time I tried getting into one I had tracky bottoms on and they ended up round my knees by the time I'd managed to wriggle in :)

That's an interesting conclusion to draw just from me saying that the

350Z isn't as nice to look at as the RX8 or Crossfire.

No thanks.

Reply to
Lordy

I totally agree.

Once you swap the position of '350Z' and 'Crossfire' :)

Reply to
Grant

I should have entioned that, IMO, the 350z is the better looking of the bunch....unfortunately they wont let me test drive one (at 21) got bless mazda for letting me loose in an RX8 ;)

Reply to
Mason

Chav!

Reply to
Ricky Hide

Anyone with eyes that are connected properly.

HTH

And so is your missus :)

Reply to
Lordy

Crossfire is a big lardy yankmobile. I had my heart set on a 350Z but had a go in an RX8. Had a go in the 350z and another go in the RX8 I just felt immediately at home in the RX8 and it's got back seats, decent boot, etc. And it goes round corners like it's on rails. I bought the RX8 and have really gone off the 350z. True, the RX8 is a bit thisrty, 22mpg averaga going up to 25-26 on a motorway run. I miss the torque of my last car (remapped Leon Cupra) but keep the revs up on the RX8 and it's loads of fun.

Just my 2p.

Paul

Reply to
GoJohnnyGoGoGoGo

Ah, so not any of the journalists who judged it be a damn fine car both in looks and go. Nor indeed anyone witht he possibvle exception of you.

Ah the same wife drooled over by assorted miscreants. You must be partially sighted.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I thought the Crossfire was gorgeous in photos until I saw one in the metal and realised just how damn small it is! Something that shape needs to be DB7-sized to carry it off, IMHO.

Reply to
Pete MC

You need to look at a Honda S800 or a MGB GT to know what small is.

Peter Hill

Raise you a Z600 - *almost* bought one as my first car.

Grant

Wow, just shows eh. I think the crossfire looks like a load of balls. The front is a bit to "straight" and the back looks utter s**te unless the spoiler thingy is up. It err, looks like its trying to be nice looking but doesn't quite pull it off is the only way I can describe it.

No no, that's just a conclusion people will draw! I'll most likely drive coupe type cars for a while until I end up getting a rugrat or 2 (may that be a LOOOONG while yet!). But I can see how they can be considered pointless. You get what you do in a coupe from a saloon bar the looks at considerably less price, so to some people it's pointless.

Wouldn't be my choice of car either. But if somone offered it to me it's nice cheap rapid car!

Andy R

Reply to
Andy

I dunno what a miscreant is but i think i'm one

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 ;)1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet